Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby dennispc » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:45 pm

Uschi, they look like Preiser models that I had on my model railway. Look great in any setting.

Postby Uschi » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:47 pm

They may well be Preiser models.

Postby jeral » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:56 pm

Fab, Uschi. I love normal yet surreal art where you can see a different detail or correlation in the composition every time you look at it. Great stuff 8-)

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:09 pm

Uschi, I do like those strawberry people of yours - a lot!

Total surrealism! Magic1

Postby Uschi » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:54 pm

Thank you!I must fish them out again and do more sometime.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:54 am

Sakkarin,

Had alot of trouble since last night with the Fórum ?

It was technically down .. ( 22.00 - Until 21st just now )

9.50am: Glad to see all has been re-stored.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Uschi » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:18 am

Yes, it was down until now, but luckily we are all back on and in. :birthday-dancer
Guten Morgen allerseits!

Postby Alexandria » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:22 pm

Uschi,

Yes for quite some time ..

Started approx. 22. 30 or so and had come back on approx. 10.30am this morning.

Have a nice day.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Suffs » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:16 pm

Well, there you all are again ... :tongueout

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:18 pm

Thanks for the info, I get messages frequently from the webspace provider regarding issues with the web hosting, there are clearly a lot of unpleasant so-and-so's out there causing hacking problems, although this most recent outage seems to have been a routine maintenance issue.

------------

On the bright side, I read the news today (oh boy) that a Lidl is coming to Watford, just 10 minutes' walk from me. The downside is that the site was originally earmarked for a proper Waitrose (we have two "mini" ones, no full-sized one).

Not sure which ultimately I prefer, but with a shrinking budget I suspect Lidl is the most sensible bet!

Postby Uschi » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:40 pm

Suffs wrote:Well, there you all are again ... :tongueout

How very dare you :tongueout us?????????????
Image Image

:lol:

You will probably like Lidl, Sakkarin. Me, I'm an Aldi girl. 8-)

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:03 pm

I'm a Lidl girl. The store in town is far nicer and cleaner than the Aldi one.

I find both very frustrating though because it either has none of the things you went in for or alternatively so many good things that you over-spend
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Uschi » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:26 pm

When we used to live in a different part of town we had an Aldi right beside an Akzenta (a very well-assorted upmarket supermarket).
We knew exactly what we'd shop at Aldi's, but if they were out of something we'd nip over to Akzenta and avail ourselves of said items there.

It's a bit less comfortable in this area.

Postby Renee » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:46 pm

I have a very nice Aldi store where I buy freerange chickens for about £5.50. I buy facial wipes for about 49p, but these, of course, are not re-cyclable, so I might stop using them. I like a few of their face creams too which are as good as any of the more expensive ones. It is across from Sainsbury's and they are both busy. A new Lidl is being built on the main road and also very close to Asda, so we'll see what happens there! I used to like the smoked salmon from Lidl before I moved here.

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:08 am

I find both very frustrating though because it either has none of the things you went in for or alternatively so many good things that you over-spend

It seems to me that if you do find something you like, it's never there when you go back. :roll:

Being German companies, they seem strong on German things like stollen and pickled herrings.

Postby Uschi » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:43 am

I don't know what they will have on offer in Britain, but in Germany both Aldi and Lidl have a nice Easter line. Marzipan eggs with a little fruit jelly, boozy Marzipan, boozy eggs (red wine eggs being my poison) and so on.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:01 pm

Being German companies, they seem strong on German things like stollen and pickled herrings.

Actually my quarrel with the Tottenham Aldi is that there are hardly any German products now, it’s just another supermarket

Lidl retains more “foreign flavours” and is favoured by the Polish and Ukrainian communities

Best stollen available this year was at Iceland, imported from Germany and a snip at £2 for a large one

Postby Wic » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:57 pm

We have an Aldi locally, so use it often, but not for a weekly shop. Now and again there are spectacular bargains, but I think you need to be careful, because although things look cheaper in there, sometimes the sizes are smaller than you’d expect and the use by dates are a bit short. It has German rye bread, which we like, and at Christmas has oceans of various kinds of stollen, other than that the products are fairly Anglicised.

We live about half an hour away from the nerest Lidl, so only go if we are out that way. We both tend to regard it as a sort of adventure playground. The Middle of Lidl, as they call it, can be very tempting, it’s full of all sorts of things that you never knew you needed. The fresh vegetables are usually very good in that one. It is also quite Anglicised. We go to one when we are in in Belgium, too, and that is very Belgian, whilst still having a core of products that feature everywhere.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:48 pm

The Lidl closest to our flat, has a line of Bio Organic Italian Pastas ( fresh and dry ) and Bio Organic Spanish beans at really reasonable prices.

So, if headed that way, we stock up on pastas, rices and legumes (beans) .. Always good to have in case it snows or have heavy rains.

Postby Alexandria » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:34 am

Re: Weekend 1st, 2nd, 3rd March ..

Any plans for the weekend ?

My dear and I are driving up to Cadaques for the weekend to see our family .. :thumbsup

If weather is still Spring like, we shall some spend time outdoors ..

We are expecting a tempermental cold front with strong winds, typical of March which comes in like a lion, and goes out like a lamb here in Spain ..

Have a nice weekend.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox