Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:30 pm

Zac, my 18 month old grandson had terrible problems with every kind of milk. The parents went through everything and he ended up on an oil-based one. Weaning also caused multiple problems and he had permanent eczema although continued to thrive.

Current advice is to base treatment around the Milk Ladder. It's working really well for him and his mother says he has few problems these days.

https://www.royalberkshire.nhs.uk/patie ... ods%20that

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:37 pm

Height on second birthday Pat

The other method is a calculation involving the heights of both parents

I know this, because there was an eleven inch height difference between my parents so their chum, our GP applied both methods to me to see what was likely to happen. Both methods agreed on 5ft 2in. I’m 5ft 6in

I think the confounding factor is my dad’s mum’s family who must be mildly hyperpituitary, we all end up talk (she was 5ft 7in) but we do it by growing slowly for a long time - I grew over half an inch after I left school, the prediction is usually closer than that

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:30 pm

I hadn't heard of the milk ladder. That's interesting. I've always thought it must be so hard to have a baby who was intolerant to milk.

My parents measured me on my second birthday in order to determine the height I'd be. I was to be 5'10". I am 5' 3".

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:37 am

Ha! "Columbian Supremo". Sounds like some gangland drug cartel overlord!

(Lidl coffee beans...)

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:55 am

Talking of Lidl Sakks we have a new one in Harrow Weald. It’s on the old Homebase site opposite the bus garage and opened on Thursday. I visited this morning. I thought the Watford one was big but this is huge and apparently the largest in the country at the moment. Lovely to have one just a mile away. Very spacious too.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:12 pm

So they're opening new shops in Harrow when they seem to be closing everything in Watford :-(

Debenhams, John Lewis, possibly M&S and Boots for starters...

Anyway, it's Trewins not John Lewis...

I wonder if we should have a Lidl thread so none of us Lidl fans miss bargains...

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:21 pm

Harrow isn’t governed by INTU and is pretty rubbish for shopping. Aside from Primark and M&S it’s just the usual high street culprits. There are rumours that Debenham’s will go but there always have been. The new Harrow Weald Lidl is next to Iceland which is next to Waitrose. It’s not a huge Waitrose and I’ll be surprised if it survives. It’s not my Waitrose of choice, the one in South Harrow is much larger and has a cafe.

I think you need to include Aldi if you’re having a Lidl thread. :lol:

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:32 pm

The only thing I get from Aldi now is their cereals (well, it as an extra 200 yard's walk...)

Has anyone any pointers for other products where Aldi pips Lidl?

I sometimes go to your Waitrose if I need a Waitrose product, the alternative is Northwood, they're about the same distance. I used to regularly go all the way to St Albans for Waitrose stuff!

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:35 pm

I prefer the chocolate at Aldi! I think it was Stokey Sue who put me onto their Picpoul de Pinet too.

Postby scullion » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:56 pm

aldi pips lidl at the palm oil free, glass jars of peanut butter. i go to both but most of my shopping (usually) gets done at lidl - far more plastic free (and better) fruit and veg.
lidl also has the best pasteis de nata of all the supermarkets.

Postby jeral » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:53 pm

Aldi were recommended for balsamic vinegar and sherry I think, although stocks could well be different now.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:40 pm

The only thing I love from Aldi are individual pies - I think they are spinach. feta and pine nut. As I shouldn't be eating pies I don't often go as they don't have much else that I want. Lidl I avoid because I want everything!

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:52 pm

We're miles and miles from an Aldi. Lidls are a bit closer and apparently one is coming to the Kings Mall shopping centre in Hammersmith, which has been bought by the company that owns Ikea. After Covid I have no idea if it's still going ahead although I saw something on a local website that implied the planned, new-style city centre Ikea is still going to happen.
Having been doing online Tesco shops since lockdown I've really noticed how much more my favourite items from Lidl cost at Tesco, and even more at Sainsbugs or Waitrose.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:08 pm

haven't been to Aldi yet this year so I may be a little out of date, I've always found them quite good for fruit and veg, especially when they are doing the 5 cheap choices each week but then of the branches of either available to me the Aldi at White Hart Lane is by far the biggest and best organised, though Well Street Lidl is a close second

Aldi definitely wins overall on booze, apart from the glorious Picpoul de Pinet everything in their Exquisite collection seems to be something of a bargain, not always cheap cheap cheap but always less than you would expect to pay for the style and quality, and they are famously good at gin. I had some really good garlic infused olive oil from them, they seem to have a permanent corner of good Italian staples without waiting for a promo week, and to me that consistency is a strength,

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:41 pm

I really like Aldi Greek yogurt, and their chocolate.

Postby cherrytree » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:48 pm

I like Aldi for it’s not from concentrate orange juice and their Moser Roth dark chocolate. I like the way the chocolate comes in a 125 g pack which is divided into 25g packs which makes it easy to calculate for cooking. Their Puglian olive oil is lovely. Our Aldi now has a green light at the entrance which tells me if I can go straight in. Their queuing system for the checkouts works well.
Lidl’s Greek yoghurt is to die for. I like their in store bakery and their wine display is better than Aldi.But our Lidl is so disorganised!
After all that though, my main shopping is done at Sainsbury’s. Sadly I haven’t been to Booths since the lockdown.

Postby Renee » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:54 pm

I like the wines from Aldi and the free range chickens which are reasonably priced.

I haven't been there since before Covid, because the car park is quite small and it's not as spacious as the new Lidl. It gets crowded too.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:22 pm

Aldi Apple cider vinegar is a steal.

Postby Binky » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:17 pm

Hello folks. I am conscious that I haven't been here for a few weeks, but things are going somewhat pear-shaped for me.

I've had partial chemo (had to be abandoned as a further cancer was diagnosed which is more aggressive) and I've had a course of radiotherapy on my lung/windpipe (the tumour is in the windpipe itself).

This has left me with swallowing problems which I'm told will get better in a week or two, so it's been soup, porridge, mashed potatoes, fish and milk, rice pudding and cold drinks for me. I haven't cooked anything for ages so feel a complete fraud looking in at the Food website. Luckily it hasn't stopped me drinking my favourite Pinot Grigio!

I hope to be back, up and running, when the renewed chemo starts in a couple of weeks. Keep your fingers crossed for me. :?

Postby ChinchillaLady » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:34 pm

Firmly crossed here Binky, you have been much missed. Hope things start to improve for you very soon :newhuggy

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox