Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Chatterbox

Postby Amyw » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:37 pm

Ah much love guys . Apparently she got drunk and upset my stepbrother Boxing Day so I’m not the only one ! I do think coming from a dysfunctional background , it is a real blessing to have a stable loving family background

Postby smitch » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:48 pm

Amy, sorry to hear you’ve had a rough time recently :newhuggy I really don’t have an easy relationship with my family, I don’t get on with my sister and my mum can be very nasty at times. My in laws are lovely, I’m always surprised how respectful and supportive they are, nothing like my family at all.

:newhuggy for Binky too, glad you had a lovely Christmas with your OH.

Postby dennispc » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:09 pm

Binky, your OH and yourself were an encouragement when OH was having a tough time and I got so tired. But that was only a few months, and this year just days, not constant. I admire you both.

To follow Amy’s posts, I was never good at relationships for the first forty years of my life, there are lots of legitimate reasons, but not for a public forum. Then somehow someone thought I was worth something and OH, her family and my eldest daughter have created a different me (most of the time!). 2017 we booked a house near King’s Lynn for a week covering Christmas. 22 of us and no-one fell out.

I wish everyone a Hopeful New Year.

Postby Amyw » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:57 pm

That’s a lovely story Dennis . I’m a firm believer in that everything happens in its own good time and the universe has a plan for us all . It sounds like the universes plan for you was a wonderful one

Postby Pampy » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:22 am

As I'm sure yours will be too, Amy. :newhuggy

Postby smitch » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:03 pm

I was in an awful relationship in my early 20s. My ex was manipulative and emotionally abusive and looking back at photos of myself from that time I look ill. After he dumped me (by text!) I was not in a good way and it took a long time to regain any sense of self-worth.

Almost 8 years ago I met my husband and he is the opposite of my awful ex. I’ve had lots of health challenges during our time together and he’s been brilliant, always understanding and supportive. I’d never have progressed in my previous career or had the courage to go back to uni without his encouragement.

I strongly believe things work themselves out in the end. I’m a totally different person to who I was 15 years ago when I met the ex.

Postby Amyw » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:13 am

That’s a lovely story smitch

Postby Uschi » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:39 pm

Binky, fingers and toes crossed for you and your OH!!!
My mother was similarly resigned to her "lasts" (Christmas, Karneval, Birthday) and similarly fought the disease every inch of the way nonetheless. It takes a huge amount of courage and I do hope you two will have as many good days as you can!!!

Love your tree and your chocolates, btw!!!

Postby Renee » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:06 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Renee, Tony has tried lots of anti fog products but nothing seems to work (on swimming goggles).
I hope it works on your regular glasses for you.

I have tried the Zeiss product and it does work, thank goodness! There are no English instructions on the leaflet however, but not a problem. I can bring them up. I am assuming that Tony has put a question in Google, asking if there is a product that stops goggles steaming up. I can imagine how annoying that can be.

Amyw, I'm so very sorry to hear about your rotten Christmas. Sometimes, you just need to get a person right out of your life. It doesn't matter if it's a relative or a friend. It sounds as though nothing will ever change. :newhuggy

It took me 35 years to get my emotionally abusive husband out of my life. We had a small business, which had ups and downs and with all the put downs, I didn't have the courage to do anything about it.

Postby Uschi » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:25 pm

Renee wrote:
Gillthepainter wrote:Renee, Tony has tried lots of anti fog products but nothing seems to work (on swimming goggles).

I have tried the Zeiss product and it does work, thank goodness! There are no English instructions on the leaflet however, but not a problem. I can bring them up. I am assuming that Tony has put a question in Google, asking if there is a product that stops goggles steaming up. I can imagine how annoying that can be.

Post it and I will translate it for you. :D

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:13 pm

Renee wrote:

The products for swimming googles and for specs are entirely different - I use both!

The swimming ones are usually a spray that you put onto wet goggles and leave wet, it helps but not that good in my experience.

The specs ones an impregnated dry cloth, you breathe on the spec lenses to mist them up and polish off with the cloth. The more you use it, it builds up and becomes more effective

Postby Renee » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:53 pm

Thanks Sue. I didn't think that the impregnated cloth worked, but obviously I didn't give it enough time.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:13 pm

I think the thing that Tony gets along with is HEAD, which is expensive. That's for event swimming - otherwise he uses washing up liquid, then spit :lol:
Also a tiny bit of baby shampoo - but you have to be careful not to use too much, it hurts if it gets into your eyes.

Postby Renee » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:21 pm

I used to use spit in the olden days with my Max Factor block mascara! :oops: It worked well and I'm still here! :lol:

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:00 pm

Avon block mascara, Renee. Not designed for those weepy moments.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:43 pm

I only ever had one block mascara - having acquired contact lenses quite early it really wasn’t for me

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:52 pm

I used it too, I was used to seeing my grandmother use it. I do remember my first 'wand' in a lovely Mary Quant set but they were expensive.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:30 pm

As a pharmacist's daughter reading Manufacturing Chemist on wet Sundays. I soon worked out that Miner's, Quant, and Goya, and possibly some others, were all made on the same production line, so I just put Miner's in a pretty make up pouch!

Postby halfateabag » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:57 am

Binky, courage to you. Give yourself every treat that you can.

Amy, Non carborundum illegitimi - have faith, do not let the B*****ds grind you down.

:newhuggy :newhuggy :newhuggy to all those that need them...

Postby scullion » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:13 pm

never owned block mascara but i remember my mother spitting on hers when she used it - and making me spit on it when she applied it to me for a ballet show - yeuk!

fake latin.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox