Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Chatterbox

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:57 pm

We sat on the floor a lot, solid Victorian parquet, I think the teacher might have had a cushion - and .Miss C couldn’t get down to ground level, arthritic

Postby cherrytree » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:03 pm

By the time I stopped teaching I couldn’t even get up from the infant sized chairs!

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:15 pm

I think even my children had a patch of carpet 40+ years ago. They do say that exposure to a bit of dirt helps children's immune systems and despite all we know they do seem quite robust unless very unlucky. Who hasn't licked a window, played in mud, sat on the carpet with hidden germs etc. I think that the way most small children have cottoned on to the cleanliness requirements for Covid are amazing, they seem to be the ones reminding adults to wash hands etc. I did freak out a bit the other day when I watched GD scrape ice off the park gates with her gloved hands - and put some in her mouth :?. It would have been such an innocent pleasure in previous times.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:24 pm

I don deny cross-infection at low level isn’t a good thing for small children but they can get that directly from each other, from toys and equipment, they don’t need a piece of filthy carpet; the reason I mentioned mop and bucket is because I remember one being wielded frequently after someone had wee’d or vomited on the floor - soaked up with sawdust, swept up and mopped over.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:40 pm

Yes, I remember that too!

Postby aero280 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:21 pm

I ought to be immune from everything, having spent the first 15 years of my career working on several sewage works and doing sewer surveys and repair work...

Postby cherrytree » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:54 pm

Here is a tale of life in Early Years and a child’s fascination with bodily functions. One day a child was sick. Silence and then a dash to see the evidence.”Children “ I said in a firm yet kindly voice. “Come over to the other side of the classroom and w hen Miss * comes back you can all go and look at the sick”.
Poor Miss * was the teaching assistant who had the horrible task of cleaning up . There are no caretakers or site managers to do this. Everyone was satisfied at my promise which of course I kept.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:04 pm

Crikey, I always hated anything to do with sick whether mine or anyone else's and went as far away as possible. I still can't face prunes and custard after a girl was sick in her outdoor shoes when we were changing to go out after lunch - in 1958.

Postby cherrytree » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:40 pm

I know how you feel. I dislike the name Clive (sorry!) ever since a boy called Clive who was in my Reception class was sick into his school dinner. Every Single Day.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:26 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby ChinchillaLady » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:10 pm

I think a girl from my 5 year old class may hate my name, I doubt her cardigan ever recovered from a severe attack of projectile vomiting from yours truly, she never spoke to me again. :oops: :oops:

Postby chihuahua8 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:55 pm

I was just browsing through various sites and came across an item from Northwick Park Hospital. I was amazed to see that the old Paternoster lift has been re-instated - on the grounds that you don't have to touch anything as you get in or off the lift! Apparently the lift is about 50 years old, now that does make me feel ancient as I well remember jumping into the lift.

Amazing how priorities change depending on circumstances!
JeanT

Postby jeral » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:49 pm

I never had the joy of a Paternoster lift, although jumping onto the open boarding platform of Routemaster buses came close I reckon.

An overnight guest remarked after seeing my early morning bleary-eyed state that he'd never seen anyone galvanised into rocket speed by the sight of a double decker bus when I suddenly urged him to "Move it!" and ran like hell across the road to jump on. That said, I could spend all day whiling time away on a Paternoster lift :mrgreen:

Postby Uschi » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:31 pm

jeral wrote:I never had the joy of a Paternoster lift, although jumping onto the open boarding platform of Routemaster buses came close I reckon.

An overnight guest remarked after seeing my early morning bleary-eyed state that he'd never seen anyone galvanised into rocket speed by the sight of a double decker bus when I suddenly urged him to "Move it!" and ran like hell across the road to jump on. That said, I could spend all day whiling time away on a Paternoster lift :mrgreen:

Come to Wuppertal, go to the townhall of Barmen and go round and round in one during opening hours.

Postby dennispc » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:28 pm

Sainsbury's delivery the other weel included frozen filo that we didn't order. Driver said, keep it as we were his last drop. Been in the freezer since. Might get used Christmas.

Antivaxers; quite a vocal group in our town. Thread on local FB about where to get jabs, etc. Roland asked me, 'as you don't need a booster for flu, why do you need one for this supposed virus'. My reply, 'because I want to be Bill Gates.' Sadly he didn't bite.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox