Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:24 am

Morning Gill,

Nice to see you back. Glad you have had a goof holiday.
I make fig chutney most years but our figs don't ripen until Augst.

Renee, all the very best to Charlotte, Our GD got her D oe gold last week. The expedition was supposed to be in kayaks down thbute River Dart . however the water was so low it ended up being a hauling job on dry land.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:29 am

Hi Joan.
Tony's got his open water swim in the Dart in September.
I hope it fills up a bit by the time he gets in.

Congratulations to your GD. Well done!

What do you serve your figgy chutney with?

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:56 pm

Hello everyone

Sizzling hot here, it was at least 28 C in the yard when I went down to meet the postie just after 10 am

Need to potter on indoors and go for a walk later

Postby jeral » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:07 pm

It's been too hot here also to have any appetite for anything but minimal nibbles. Not used to the 28C heat of course.

Re this board, for some reason my screen won't refresh, but if I move away from the window to the main index and back it has refreshed. Is anyone else finding this? (Last day or two.) Ta.

Postby Renee » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:50 pm

Mine has just refreshed alright, jeral.

Just back from Preston where I went to pick up an order from M&S. Apart from that I bought food. I really shouldn't go shopping on an empty stomach! :evil:

Postby jeral » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:39 pm

Renée, interesting that you can refresh and I can't. I just made a discovery though. If I open the old board and click to the new board then sign in, the new board i.e. this one does refresh. I don't have any old cookies so a mystery of life to moi.

Re shopping, I've bought loads cos I'm hungry from several days of being too hot to want to eat, so fridge and freezer crammed while I fade away. Not the best plan :lol:

Postby Renee » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:45 pm

Yes, there are many mysteries of life jeral! I'm having to sign in every time, even though I tick the box to keep me signed in. Not a big problem though.

Mostly I bought fish from M&S. Did I really need so much? :o I bought packet salads from Waitrose too.

Joan I have passed on your best wishes to Charlotte, but still haven't heard from her yet. She might have gone down to Devon to stay with her boyfriend and family. They moved there from Oldham a few months ago. Charlotte loves to go kayaking and had the opportunity whilst in Turkey. She took her parents and said "never again". :lol: :lol:

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:08 am

Morning all.
It's a pig of a day outside. I don't know what to do today.
I've done all of my sewing, I brought back a table cloth from Spain that needed a seam round it. To protect our relatively newly acquired 1850's pine table.

We've got a linen one already, but that's constantly being washed, as we are extremely messy eaters it would appear.
So a second was required.

I'm thinking of going on a sewing course locally. It's how to make a trouser template workshop.
I should be able to make as many pairs of trousers as I want after attending? https://www.westendsewing.co.uk/book-on ... g-workshop
I do rather fancy it, what do you think?

I know he does a handbag one too, where you come away with a clutchee slylee bag.

Postby Renee » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:52 am

What a nice idea to bring a tablecloth back from Spain! They must have some lovely ones there and will be a reminder of your hollies.

If you really enjoy sewing, as you seem to, the course will be very interesting, especially if you always wear the same style of trousers. I've started buying the stretchy ones from Robell, which is a German make.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:56 am

Sounds good Gill
If I could see well enough I'd be very inclined to go back to sewing, and I'd do some courses with CL aka The Thrifty Stitcher, who is local and who I know a little, she sets some of the tasks for Sewing Bee. She has some good on line tutorials too
https://thethriftystitcher.co.uk

I bought a pair of "pyjama trousers" - loose, lightweight striped summer trousers, they are great but need turning up. I will use the iron on webbing though, it's suitable for this kind of firm lightweight fabric.

Off to do a bit of attic tidying as it is currently a nice temperature up there. Not a lot of daylight though.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:16 am

Another excellent link, Sue. Thank you, I've just signed up to her newsletter.

Iron on webbing is great.
I've used it many a time. Have fun in the attic.

Renee, I've got 5 pairs of Robells I wear to death. White black blue tan and navy. I draw the line at pink ;) Not cropped, I wear the long leg ones.

Postby Renee » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:58 am

A shop in Preston stocks Robell trousers, but they haven't got the full range of styles and colours. I have royal blue, pale blue and sage green. I get the 7/8 length because I have short legs! :lol:

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:41 pm

This week's Desert Island Disks celebrity proposed as her luxury item a bath with three taps - hot, cold and wine. Ha.

Postby Renee » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:55 pm

Gin & Tonic for me, so that will be four taps! :lol: :lol:

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:26 am

Clever. Tap #5 would be foamy lager for me.
Howz the trapped nerve, Sakkarin?

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:01 pm

Wow, it’s a while since I posted on here

Still haven’t fixed my pyjama trousers, lost track of the pack of webbing, and when it turned up, too hot to mess about with.

I did find a couple of framed pictures in the attic I didn’t know I still had. Think I’ll get someone to put up some of those picture ledges for me then I can fiddle about with pictures as I please

Sunny at the moment - deluge when I started writing

Postby jeral » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:25 pm

Stokey Sue, you should check out the ingenious ways of hanging pictures off one another, with twine, mostly intended to avoid numerous holes in a wall. Plate rails were originally added to change perceptions of dimensions of a room, i.e. by lowering height appeared to increase the width.

I still love the collage of misc disparate pictures, if you have a suitable wall.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:34 pm

Postby jeral » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:55 pm

Ah, I've always thought floating shelves look cool, still do even though a bit 1960's Habitat. They're more suitable with brick walls (to which I fixed some), but dunno about plasterboard lined ones which are a nightmare to fix anything onto IMO.

Still, whatever you decide, it is inordinately pleasing to display favourite things :)

Postby Pampy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:11 am

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox