Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Chatterbox

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:25 pm

if the test result doesn't come through when expected, chances are they've lost the sample or the result - or managed to unlink the machine result from his details

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:27 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:if the test result doesn't come through when expected, chances are they've lost the sample or the result - or managed to unlink the machine result from his details

Yes, I'm sure you're right, Sue.

Postby Rainbow » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:31 am

KeenCook2 wrote:
Stokey Sue wrote:if the test result doesn't come through when expected, chances are they've lost the sample or the result - or managed to unlink the machine result from his details

Yes, I'm sure you're right, Sue.

I thought I'd posted before, but I guess I didn't submit it!!

I agree - I'm sure Sue is right!! When I worked in a blood lab. we had the occasional lost, or clotted, or spilled sample!! Usually called 'technical errors' and we'd have to request another sample!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:39 am

This is nose swab, could have dried out

I was once recalled for a repeat smear test, the doc and I talked it through and she decided she’d not take any more at Friday pm clinic since they seemed to go off over the weekend before they were processed

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:19 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I was once recalled for a repeat smear test, the doc and I talked it through and she decided she’d not take any more at Friday pm clinic since they seemed to go off over the weekend before they were processed

Ugh, one every few years is pretty unpleasant - not to say that I'm not glad they get done!

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:35 am

Just saw this wonderful 1902 film of the “Flyong Train “ in Wuppertal which Uschi has mentioned in the past

Amazing
https://youtu.be/2Ud1aZFE0fU

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:38 am

Wow, that's wonderful! Such engineering and such a contrast between the old and the futuristic!

Postby scullion » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:41 am

that is fascinating, i watched it a few times - only noticed the child on the swing on the third run through!

Postby slimpersoninside » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:03 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Just saw this wonderful 1902 film of the “Flyong Train “ in Wuppertal which Uschi has mentioned in the past

Amazing

We've been on that, it's fantastic!! Thanks for posting it Sue. I shall send the link over to hubby, he thinks it's very cool (must be showing his age :lol: ).

We visited Dusseldorf a couple of years ago to go to the Christmas markets in the area, including Wuppertal. We met up with Uschi for the day, she's a great host and very knowledgeable about the area she lives in. Not only did we go on the wonderful Schwebebahn Uschi took us for a ride in a Paternosta lift (in the town hall if I remember correctly, if not I'm sure Uschi can correct me) :thumbsup .

Postby Renee » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:30 pm

Thanks so much for posting it Sue! It was quite a thrilling ride! I've known Uschi for many years and Colin and myself had an enjoyable day meeting up with her in Venlo when we were staying in the Netherlands.

Postby smitch » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:05 pm

What a great video! It is on my list of places to visit, we love unusual forms of public transport having both grown up with families involved in trains (me) and trams (my OH).

Postby Seatallan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:57 pm

That's incredible! If it wasn't for the lack of cars and the costumes, it could almost have been filmed yesterday!
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby aero280 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:37 pm

When I was at uni in Sheffield in the 60's the, then new, Arts Tower had a paternoster lift.

The lift floor spacing didn't match the building floors, so if you tripped the safety wire on the down side, the lift on the way up had the floor at eye level. Of course, the lift was deliberately tripped from time to time. It was the time of mini-skirts. :o :o

Postby smitch » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:05 pm

aero280 wrote:When I was at uni in Sheffield in the 60's the, then new, Arts Tower had a paternoster lift.

The lift floor spacing didn't match the building floors, so if you tripped the safety wire on the down side, the lift on the way up had the floor at eye level. Of course, the lift was deliberately tripped from time to time. It was the time of mini-skirts. :o :o

The paternoster is still there in the Arts Tower. I worked at Sheffield Uni about 10 years ago and worked in a nearby building.

Postby Pampy » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:16 am

There was a paternoster at Salford Uni too. Great fun was had by some who liked to fling themselves into it when the gap was very narrow - mad as a box of frogs! I never heard of anyone being hurt though.

Postby Uschi » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:40 am

Guten Morgen!!!
I was going to post the link to the suspension railway, but Sue beat me to it. The amazing thing about the railway is that they managed to set up such a complex system (the first and only of its kind) 120 years ago without too many mishaps. They did overhaul the construction and commission new carriages, but the carriages have had so many defects that they are only running the railway on weekends now. If you think that this is only for tourists ... it is the fastest way to travel through the town, much faster than by car, and it's a lifeline for the town.
65,479 passengers use it on a weekday.

A big thank you to Sue!!! Magic1

Postby Uschi » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:47 am

slimpersoninside wrote:
Stokey Sue wrote:Just saw this wonderful 1902 film of the “Flyong Train “ in Wuppertal which Uschi has mentioned in the past

Amazing

We've been on that, it's fantastic!! Thanks for posting it Sue. I shall send the link over to hubby, he thinks it's very cool (must be showing his age :lol: ).

We visited Dusseldorf a couple of years ago to go to the Christmas markets in the area, including Wuppertal. We met up with Uschi for the day, she's a great host and very knowledgeable about the area she lives in. Not only did we go on the wonderful Schwebebahn Uschi took us for a ride in a Paternosta lift (in the town hall if I remember correctly, if not I'm sure Uschi can correct me) :thumbsup .

You are right, the Paternoster is in the townhall in Barmen. What you are seeing in the video are the towns of Vohwinkel and Elberfeld. Wuppertal did not exist when the train was built, the towns united in 1929 got together with a few more towns along the Wupper valley and they became a new city, called Wuppertal (Wupper valley)). Several cities (Barmen, Elberfeld and Vohwinkel) lying so close together that only a few cabbage patches separated them, shared a common problem. Their booming industries (textile, mostly) were hampered by traffic problems on the narrow valley roads.
The fact that three different towns banded together to construct something like this is amazing. And it made such a difference for traffic. It does even today.

Postby Uschi » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:49 am

smitch wrote:What a great video! It is on my list of places to visit, we love unusual forms of public transport having both grown up with families involved in trains (me) and trams (my OH).

Wait until next year or come on a weekend as the Schwebebahn won't be running on weekdays for months to come yet.

Postby slimpersoninside » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:50 am

Paternoster lifts must have been a feature of universities, the only other one I've come across was in the LSE.

Anyone gone over the top or under the bottom? :o .

Postby Uschi » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:09 am

slimpersoninside wrote:Paternoster lifts must have been a feature of universities, the only other one I've come across was in the LSE.

Anyone gone over the top or under the bottom? :o .

I did. First as a child with my father who told me that we'd be turned on our heads, but then gave me a big hug and told me he'd just made fun. It was hair raising nevertheless and I was glad he held me.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox