Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:44 am

Thank you kindly.
We had a lovely meal out, which is a rare thing for us. Light and fragrant thai food, 3 x chillies hot on the menu - I particularly liked the jungle curry.
I'm off now for a gym sesh, and a swim.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:46 pm

Speaking of Thai Cuisine, we were both quite amazed by the Phuket Island cuisine. Subtle, sublime and exquisite.

Both Barcelona and the Madrid Capital have a venue or two that are nice but nothing that truly floats our boats unfortunately.

Silk & Soy in Alcobendas, Madrid is about the best of the them. Easily reached by The Green Line Bus 827.

It is approx. 35 minutes from The Capital and 20 minutes from Barajas Airport Terminal 4.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:35 pm

While i love the thought of Thai food and have had several lovely dishes I have to be so careful because of their frequent use of coconut
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Alexandria » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:34 am

Joan,

Are you allergic to coconut ?

I am just not a fan and do not eat it ..

I had found the cuisine in Phuket Island quite elegant ..

However, as foreigners tend to do, when they open a restaurant in Europe or Manhattan, they cater to the tastes of the population.

It is the same with Chinese in Spain. It is nothing like the Chinese Cuisine of Hong Kong which was magnificant ..

I have had amazing Asian Cuisines in Hong Kong, Sydney, Paris, London and Zúrich off top of my head.

Somehow, they are a failure here ! and in the Mediterranean in general.

The exception is Japanese ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:48 pm

Hi Member 461. I am indeed allergic to coconut. This is something which has got progressively worse as I got older. Fortunately it is not life threatening but it really is far better if I avoid it because I feel so unwell.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Alexandria » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:26 pm

Joan,

I understand ..

I am allergic to cow milk (The Beverage), cow milk yoghurt and icecream made from cow milk, so I hear you !

I avoid like the plague .. :vomit

Well, have a lovely lovely Christmas Holiday and a healthy, successful and Happy New Year. :chrissytree1 :chrissytree1

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:50 pm

Joan, given that you have a saying of hers as your signoff, I presume you are a fan of Anne-Sophie Pic.

In case you haven't been following the current series of "Masterchef the Professionals", I thought it might interest you that today's episode (final three chefs) was nearly all filmed with her at the restaurant, if you wanted to track down a "catchup" on iPlayer. Some of her dishes looked and sounded astonishing.

Postby dennispc » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:16 pm

Member 461, lactose intolerant means you are in the majority as are two-thirds of the world's population. The other third tend to be in Northern Europe, North America. The necessary DNA came from Ukrainian horseman who popped over to see Stonehenge being built - allegedly.

Have a nice day.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:27 pm

Petronius,

It is not uncommon in Spain and I am surely accustomed since childhood.

I only drink Espresso and as far as cheeses go, I prefer goat and sheep cheeses ..

Though the few cow cheeses that I do eat ( French or Italian or Spanish ) do not effect me.

Have a lovely Holiday Season .. :rudolph1

Postby Renee » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:19 pm

Yes, I have been watching Masterchef, Sakkarin and was amazed to learn about Anne Sophie-Pics way of cooking and her story about her family!

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:27 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Joan, given that you have a saying of hers as your signoff, I presume you are a fan of Anne-Sophie Pic.

In case you haven't been following the current series of "Masterchef the Professionals", I thought it might interest you that today's episode (final three chefs) was nearly all filmed with her at the restaurant, if you wanted to track down a "catchup" on iPlayer. Some of her dishes looked and sounded astonishing.

i am indeed sakkers and you may recall that my birthday present this year from M was two nights at Maison Pic - a magical experience. We sat at the same table as Monica and co were at last night.

M had the white cube dessertI had her signature apple one - this after wonderful course after even more wonderful course with wines to match.

I was delighted to learn last night that she is as lovely as her food and a wonderful teacher too.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:05 pm

Yes, I too thought of your birthday stay last evening whilst watching.
I know you've got her books.

Which I've put on my chrimbo list for Tony, amongst other suggestions. But don't know what he's got me yet.
I have a feeling her cooking might be beyond my abilities ......

Postby Alexandria » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:23 pm

Gil & Joan,

Speaking of Chef Anne Sophie Pic ´s books, do you have her book called: "Blanc" ?

It is quite amazing with extraordinary photography and all her creations are White ..

Michael is the photographer. I forget his surname at the moment ..

Magic1 Happy Holidays ..

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:42 am

Not got the book, no. Indeed I've never heard of her or the dynasty before Joan mentioned her experiences, Member 461.

Cruising today.
I'll be doing a wee bit of sewing, I've made runners for the table which we put walnuts along - the material is green oak leaf pattern. We usually have a linen or other cloth down.
But we are keeping the table top natural wood for Christmas.

I've scrubbed the top, so it looks pristine - but Tony has dropped some fresh tomatoes already, that I'm struggling to remove the darker mark.
I've tried washing up liquid. Lemon. Lemon and salt.

Next up I'll use bicarb to try to lift it away.

Looks like I'll have to sew up a couple of place mats too to catch the debris.

Postby Alexandria » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:02 am

Gil,

Good luck with your sewing and cleaning the table .. :cry:

Have a lovely lovely holiday season and Happy New Year .. :chrissytree1

Postby dennispc » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:19 am

White vinegar Gill? Don’t know if it works on wood, just a suggestion.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:54 am

Morning All

For those of you who are fans of MC professionals I think the right person won. I think he will go far.

Member 461. There was a copy of The White Book in our hotel room. Very beautiful but most pictures. Then I saw the price!!! I don't want books which will get splodged in the kitchen.

Good luck with your splodge Gill. Have you tried the wood wash stuff. can't remember it's name.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:19 pm

Ms Pic’s food looked fabulous, and yes the right one won. I thought it was nice of Marcus to reassure Dean he was ready to run a full service himself

I need to find someone to do a bit of restoration on two small tables, was going to do it myself as a retirement project, but it needs someone with better eyesight. Will needto negotiate as I don’t wasn’t a subtle antique finish, it needs to be something I can wipe over with a damp cloth, try as I might I will continue to spill and drip dri I don’t see property
M

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:37 am

If you put Annie Sloan wax over the wood, and leave it to set, you get protection, and it preserves the wood properly.
I don't like beeswax at all. When it comes to framing, it yellows the wood and is sticky.
I'd like a project like that, Sue. But I've got loads of woodwork kit to saw and chop at my studio to help do lots of jobs.

Thank you kindly, the bicarb did the job.

I'm so pleased we no longer have our highly polished table. It was a nightmare to upkeep ..... polish polish, remove blemish, polish again.

This is the simple runners I've made, to put walnuts on.
And also some Christmas mats to go under plates and bowls when we eat casually or on Boxing Day.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:33 am

Saturday 22nd.

Off to finish some last minute Christmas details ..

We shall be leaving for Cadaqués tomorrow ( Sunday mid morning ) to avoid Monday´s mad rush ..

Japanese, Dinner out tonite with 4 dear friends.

All our best for a lovely holiday and safe travels for those making a trip .. :rudolph1 Magic1 Magic1 :tiptoesanta :chrissytree1 :chrissytree1

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox