Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:43 am

:lol: :lol: I'll happily have Black Forest gateau, prawn cocktail or Liebfraumilch but not the soggy ginger biscuits!
I've got an Australian Woman's Weekly cookery book from the 70's with a whole section on soggy biscuit puds but always thought them a terrible waste of good cream and biscuits.

(I married a man who had a lamp made from a Mateus Rose bottle - but don't tell anyone :lol: ).

Postby mistakened » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:20 am

Thank you for reminding me about prawn cocktail. I sometimes make large ones for supper, my own homemade sauce of course.
Earthmaiden wrote:
(I married a man who had a lamp made from a Mateus Rose bottle - but don't tell anyone :lol: ).

Did he stick the remains of his stamp collection on the lampshade?

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:43 am

No - what a missed opportunity!

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:48 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:37 pm

We wuz posh :lol:
Candles in Ruffino straw covered chianti flasks

I saw a magnum chianti flask in Lidl a couple of years back, and didn’t get it, wish I had, would have been fun at a BBQ

I think a 70s dinner party was very contrived and rather technicolour, head more for the relaxed kitchen supper now

Postby Uschi » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:33 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:We wuz posh :lol:
Candles in Ruffino straw covered chianti flasks

I saw a magnum chianti flask in Lidl a couple of years back, and didn’t get it, wish I had, would have been fun at a BBQ

I think a 70s dinner party was very contrived and rather technicolour, head more for the relaxed kitchen supper now

We still have a mini-bottle kicking about that is supposed to get the dripping candles treatment. So far we have not got round to it, but I will dig it out. Magic1

Postby Binky » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:07 pm

My party piece in the mid-70s was to bung some chicken legs/thighs in a Le Creuset and open a tin of Homepride 'Cook In' sauce, either red wine or white wine. My culinary contribution was to chop up some mushrooms and add them to the pot.

I also had a liking for a pudding which I'd found in the Hamlyn cookbook - it was a base of digestive biscuits, then a layer of melted marshmallows, then a layer of chocolate mousse, topped with cream. Much too sweet (and a faff now) but guests seemed to like it. We also had lots of Hirondelle wine (we couldn't afford Mateus Rose or Blue Nun). :D

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:35 pm

ah yes, I remember Hirondelle wine too! The red left a kind of bright pink stain on the glass, goodness knows what it did to your stomach :lol:

And the candle-drip encrusted wine bottles too ....

Postby Binky » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:48 pm

There was another wine I remember; I'm sure it was Carafino and dirt cheap.

We called it Parafino and drank loads when playing silly card games with friends. :wino

Postby Pampy » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:10 pm

There was (I think) a Californian wine that was sold in carafes (was it Paul Masson?) - they always looked a bit like a HeWee to me!

Postby Uschi » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:38 pm

German party buffets in the '70s often sported "toadstools", i.e. boiled eggs, having bits at both ends removed, topped with half a tomato, which was dotted with mayonaise.
Then there were hedgehogs ... the venerable minced meat hedgehog and the newer cheese hedgehog.

Postby aero280 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:00 pm

Hirondelle is the French for "swallow". I think the person who named it at the UK bottlers was amusing themselves. Swallow was the best way to drink it, if you had to.

There was also a wine called "Nicolas" which was very similar.

Ones I can think of that always appeared at parties.

Hirondelle
Nicolas
Mateus Rose
Lutomer Riesling
Black Tower
Blue Nun

Postby Uschi » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:25 pm

If "Blue Nun" was German, then it is doubly amusing: in German "being blue" means being drunk, not sad. So it would be a rather merry nun.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:26 pm

My parents always served Sainsbury’s Moroccan Red. They were dead sophisticated.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:59 pm

Both Hirondelle and Nicolas were sold in France, standard supermarket wines

Nicolas is a perfectly respectable wine merchant, with several branches in London, it was just the litre bottles of vin ordinaire with the little plastic cap were well, basic

There was a Spanish one Don Carlos I think, Don something anyway, which I favoured

Lutomer Laski Riesling came from Yugoslavia and the red from the same stable was called Tiger's Milk, though not a lot of tigers in Slovenia that I remember

The rival to Blue Nun was a Moselle called Goldener Oktober, which floated a few wine bars

Postby Binky » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:21 pm

The Goldener Oktober advert has reminded me of some wine glasses we had - they were the same shape as the ones in the ad but had a dark green stem. I think we bought them at Habitat, along with some crude stoneware plates (very fashionable at the time, and at places like Cranks).

Postby aero280 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:40 pm

We have a favourite winemaker on the Mosel. He, like many, only sells locally, and to visitors. He has quite a few visitors since the family run a B&B. We stay there quite often :D

The current bulk winemaker in the Mosel is a company called "Moselland" which buys up all the surplus grapes from the growers...

Postby scullion » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:27 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I saw a magnum chianti flask in Lidl a couple of years back, and didn’t get it, wish I had

the litre (or so) bottles of raffia'd chianti come in every so often so keep checking on the specials. i've had a couple in the past

Pampy wrote:There was (I think) a Californian wine that was sold in carafes (was it Paul Masson?) - they always looked a bit like a HeWee to me!

yes, it was and i still have one of the carafes - it's used as a live trap for voles, shrews and mice that the cats bring in. bated with peanut butter or chocolate (shrews seem to like chocolate), set the neck on something, at an angle big enough so the little feet can't get purchase on the inside of the carafe to get out and you can just pick it up and tip the occupant out.
shrews tend to be less easy to catch as they're better at jumping out - after eating the chocolate.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:41 pm

There's a parallel with adult life here. Starts off with trendy parties with fancy lamps and wine glasses and ends up catching voles with peanut butter :?.

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:52 pm

A friend in rural Derbyshire uses milk bottles as a humane mousetrap.
He sets it on a slant, as scullion said then baits it with cake and rubs the inside of the bottle neck with oil or butter to prevent escape.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox