Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Chatterbox

Postby jeral » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:20 pm

My first thoughts on sheds were: Metal=condensation, especially if tools or those with electrics etc are to be kept in there. Wood=gorgeous, look, feel, smell, but have to be unmoved by spuggies if not just a quick dash in and out. Why 10x12ft? Why not a man cave and a woman cave instead?

Oh heck, I don't know. Depends on what you both will use it for. Would you need one at all if you got rid of stuff before the move? Which is better for the planet? Would a small extension be better now they're relaxing planning laws on them? How urgent is it that you need to spend your stamp duty saving immediately?

Nice to know the move itself is now just waiting till the fat lady sings, at last :thumbsup

Postby dennispc » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:21 pm

I too wondered how the house purchase was going. Is this the one by the water?

Can't see any man thinking about pretty windows in a shed! I'd favour wood, easy to insulate and shelve, but know nothing about modern metal ones.

Postby jeral » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:34 pm

KeenCook2 wrote::crossed :crossed EM :newhuggy

Wot news from the front? I think test results are meant to be 24hrs or a day or three so hopefully the former and a good result.

I looked up about timelines as to which and when symptoms develop, but probably pointless since everyone's different but quick deterioration in breathing means Move, Like fast, so suitcase ready. I hate the thought of having to be ready at the drop of a hat, when it'd take me a week if planning to go on hol say, so drew up a checklist of things I'd forget if a last minute grab.

Being a bystander is awful, but at least being prepared and doing "useful things" helps me outwardly appear stiff upper lip and calm. And strong sweet tea - why do people always suggest that? Let us know. Rooting for you both.

Postby aero280 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:48 pm

I have bought two really nice sheds from Easyshed (aka Beast sheds) in Birmingham.

They do three standards. A basic shed, a better shed and a beast, which has thicker timber and more security.. As mine were for storage, I went with the most secure with the small windows. But you design your own and choose door sizes and window style, etc. i found the site easy to use and the communication with the manufacturers was good.

I also chose a strengthened floor as I keep some heavy stuff in there for the cars. One thing I missed. I a bit over 6ft tall. The standard door height and the matching centre roof truss are a touch too low for me. Adding and extra 4 inch height to the shed and door would have been better...

http://www.easyshed.co.uk

This is my 10 x 8 shed the day it was installed. The concrete base was mostly there from the previous shed which rotted.

IMG_1124.JPG
IMG_1124.JPG (107.04 KiB) Viewed 5870 times

A bit later the electric supply was moved inside and power and light and workbench installed. The interior view is so that you can see it's quite sturdy.

IMG_2993.JPG
IMG_2993.JPG (86.21 KiB) Viewed 5870 times

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:01 pm

My shed is very handy, as you don't even need to open the door to see what's inside...

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:08 pm

Will, I think you're Tony's height. He's 6foot 2.
That's a lovely substantial shed. & Brum is only 50mins or so from here. I shall look at that company.

Yes Dennis, the house near the network of lakes. That's the one. There are lots of gorgeous lake houses for sale, but they were leasehold and still a frightful price. :shock:
The reason for the uber-large shed is, we have 3 bikes, I have a long Morso frame mitre (woods mouldings come in 3 meter lengths).
We also plan to extend on top of the garage which will be my new studio. It can double as a spare bedroom for family visits.

I'll ask here when the time comes for advice, as it's not as straighforward as it could be.

Hey Sakkarin, that's more hole than shed. You probably have to keep it tidy at all times, you don't want the neighbours seeing your mess.

Postby Jrc123 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:14 pm

Half of yesterday’s entertaining. It may be up side down . Lol.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:42 pm

Turned it round for you, although I was tempted to take a couple of bites first...

Postby Jrc123 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:52 pm

Whoops. Very simple but homemade scotch eggs.

Not too bad considering I injured my back and only just given up with the tripod walker. :newhuggy
Attachments
2244B099-F932-408D-AE16-3CF8ACCA5A6B.jpeg
2244B099-F932-408D-AE16-3CF8ACCA5A6B.jpeg (27.39 KiB) Viewed 5838 times

Postby aero280 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:08 pm

If you want old sheds...

At least it was still almost a shed. But it did leak!!

IMG_1060.JPG
IMG_1060.JPG (101.35 KiB) Viewed 5834 times

Postby aero280 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:18 pm

A quick thought. I went for wood because we had some metal storage sheds at work. All the cardboard boxes on the floor rotted because the condensation pooled on the floor. It also ruined the bottom bags in a stack of cement bags. In high summer some waxy sealant stuff melted too.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:27 pm

jeral wrote:
KeenCook2 wrote::crossed :crossed EM :newhuggy

Wot news from the front? I think test results are meant to be 24hrs or a day or three so hopefully the former and a good result.

I looked up about timelines as to which and when symptoms develop, but probably pointless since everyone's different but quick deterioration in breathing means Move, Like fast, so suitcase ready. I hate the thought of having to be ready at the drop of a hat, when it'd take me a week if planning to go on hol say, so drew up a checklist of things I'd forget if a last minute grab.

Being a bystander is awful, but at least being prepared and doing "useful things" helps me outwardly appear stiff upper lip and calm. And strong sweet tea - why do people always suggest that? Let us know. Rooting for you both.

Thanks jeral :newhuggy
He sent off his swab this morning - they came at 8 am to collect it - so hopefully we'll get the results in 24hrs rather than 3 days ... He's definitely a lot brighter today but still has a sore throat. No breathing problems, touch wood ....

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:03 am

Oh no. My toes are :crossed that it's just a season wobble, and the test comes back negative for you all.
As you've been locked down tightly, I reckon you'll be fine. It's not like you're out and about mixing.
xxx

Re the shed, the metal structure has been averted. Tony has been put off.
Thank you.

Wow: look at this one on the easy shed site

Postby Suffs » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:12 am

That looks very similar to the ones our neighbours behind us have recently installed. They seem happy with it.

Postby halfateabag » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:45 am

We had to replace the shed the house came with 18 months ago. We found a Polish outfit in Melksham. We had to have a doorway that the ride on mower would fit, they sorted it. We also decided to make the next shed bigger and with one roof that sloped for rain collection in a makeshifts gutter into an old fertiliser butt. They did a good job and when we had a slight gripe, they came viewed the problem and fixed it straight away no quibble.

We carefully demolished the old shed and kept the panels that were OK and have used most of them in various situations over the years.

As someone pointed out to us in our last house (the house had an integral garage which was mostly holding garden stuff. Buy a shed, decant the garden stuff into it and use the garage as more living space, much cheaper than moving....! We have done that twice now

Postby Rainbow » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:28 am

Before we moved up to Queensland (2 years ago) we lived on a 4 acre (1.6 hectare) block near Adelaide. We had 2 big metal sheds made of colorbond (is that Aussie?) and they do get hot in summer - especially on 40ºC days!! - but it's a very dry heat there, usually, and I don't remember condensation being a problem.

We built the first shed when there was nothing else on the block. It was about 11metres x 6metres and a large part of it we used for sleeping in at weekends, before we built the house. It was lined with gyprock and insulated - so much better temperature regulation. The remaining smaller part was storage for things like the ride-on mower.
When we built the house there we converted that shed into a 'gym' and built another shed (5m by 7m) as a workshop for OH. That wasn't lined and got much hotter, and colder.
Over here everyone I know has metal sheds - so much cheaper and you can buy them in kits and put them up yourself - with a few friends helping!!
Attachments
Gym shed.gif
Gym shed.gif (90.32 KiB) Viewed 5757 times
Shedsjpg.jpg
Shedsjpg.jpg (75.25 KiB) Viewed 5756 times

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:04 am

Gym envy! :mrgreen:
That is lovely. I've got my eyes on a cross trainer, which will need a home too but not in the main house. Either the garage or the shed.

Thanks for you details on the metals used too. Our climate is pretty wet here in the West of England of course.

If we complete today, I shall post a link to the house we are buying, and you can see the spaces we are talking about. And the potential to expand outwards.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:21 am

Round the Chilterns area and starting in the Langleys there is a real vogue for having a summerhouse as well as sheds. Nearly all the houses you see for sale have them if they have any garden space whatsoever. They look fantastic but don't come cheap.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:44 am

I think if you get a wooden structure you need to check very carefully how the wood has been treated. Some are the standard of Scandinavian homes and others need a new coat of wood protection every year. I've only got a small shed but with the latter and it's a job I hate. I think the extra expense is worth it in the long run.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:21 am

Dear me. Following a dead link on here from a few years back ( a member whose website was "wannabetvchef.blog.co.uk), I just spotted that the internet name "http://www.blog.co.uk" is for sale.

They want $250,000 for it!!!!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox