Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Alexandria » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:45 pm

Some enjoyable reads. :thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby smitch » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:08 am

We met via online dating. Was 6 years since our first date last week :newhuggy

Postby Renee » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:59 am

Life can be strange at times, WF. If it hadn't been for your mutual friend's birthday and the snow, you might never have ended up together! What a nice story.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:53 am

Smitch,

Wow .. Amazing ! :thumbsup

On line dating ..

You are 1st I have ever heard who has met their spouse match in such a manner. :D

Best wishes.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Lizzie-47 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:07 pm

I met my OH through on-line dating too - 9 years together in May. I tell people I got him off of t'internet.....

Postby Uschi » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:30 pm

In the old days people met through matchmakers or on the cattle market (where there must have been a lonely hearts' section, too).

In my Grandmother's time a girl in the village aged 18 or 19 was orphaned with three little siblings. The vultures were circling around her and the small farm she had inherited. A relative suggested the cattle market where matches were made. She had heard of a widower with several small children.
So the two met. He was about 15 years older, but very gentle and quiet. They liked each other and so after a while she "proposed" - but he'd have to take in her little siblings. This, it seems, he was happy to do and they got together and had quite a number of children of their own in addition to what was there already. And by all accounts they had a happy marriage. Magic1

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:07 pm

Long before on-line dating there were the Lonely Hearts columns in national and local newspapers. The lady from whom we bought this house was selling it because, after her husband's death she advertised in a local paper. She found someone and wanted to move in with him in the next dept. She was 75, he was 80 :newhuggy.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Renee » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:13 pm

What a lovely story Joan!

That's an amazing story Uschi and very fortunate that the girl found the right one. What a way to meet someone though, at the cattle market! It wouldn't have happened nowadays!

Postby Alexandria » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:17 am

Wow ! Cool reads .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Today many people in Spain meet via co workers at their office, internet social red such as Facebook, or university or via Friends and / or at Bars having Tapas amongst friends & Pubs or Discos or via Travelling Circuit Routes, trips usually dedicated to singles or Young under 25 or 35 and / or over 55 ..

The majority of Spaniards do prefer face to face via Friends however, as the risks are high today regarding Facebook or other Social Red Networks.

At offices, some multi nationals can be quite strict regarding involvement with Office Romances and in many contracts, it is forbidden and one can lose their job ..

Postby dennispc » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:36 pm

WhitefieldFoodie wrote:What a wonderful array of stories,

That's true and I think your's tops the lot - Hollywood script in the making! A film of flash backs, now the snow lies deep, suddenly you look at each other ... through the window behind, snow's falling again, pan up to only snow falling ... and fade out.

Not a dry eye in the house. :crying1

Postby patpoyntz » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:31 am

My OH and I met when we were about 7, and he moved into the same street. It was a street with lots of children the same age and we all played together and hung out together.
We all went to grammar school and stayed pals, and always hung about in the same crowd, though had different girl and boy friends.
Then at 18, he went to sea, and I went to college, and we didn’t see each other for a couple of years.
Then WOW, he came home from sea a tall tanned GOD, and apparently I improved at college too! So we fell instantly in love, started to go out together, got married, and we will celebrate our golden wedding anniversary next year.
We still have those friends from the old days, and see them as often as we can.
Our children think we are SO boring!

Postby dennispc » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:19 am

patpoyntz wrote:Our children think we are SO boring!

You've been successful parents then! :clap

Lovely story.

Postby Renee » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:32 pm

A lovely story patpoyntz! It's so nice that you're still in contact with your friends.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:35 pm

Another lovely story Pat and just like my parents. They were at infant school together. Dad was a bit of a naughty lad and used to sit behind this little blonde goody goody and pull her pigtales. She went on to win a scholarship to a private commercial school he became an apprentice printer in Alnwick but they used to meet upfrom time to time because Gosforth was still a village really. They were engaged for a long time - but eventually got married in a hurry on the day war was declared , Sunday 3rd September 1939, because Dad was a senior member of the Red Cross and knew he would be conscripted at once. They celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary the sam year DD was married but sadly Mum died a few months later.

Any special plans for your 50th?
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby patpoyntz » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:54 pm

Such a romantic story Joan.
No plans yet for our 50th. Will probably be my choice of holiday...maybe Vietnam.
This year I am treating OH to his ideal holiday. Because he is a sailor, he wants to go on a cruise!!! My idea of hell, so I’ve compromised and booked us a Norwegian coastal voyage, not on a cruise ship, but on the Hurtigruten ferry...lots of interesting ports and scenery, comfortable and good food I hope, and NO crystal staircases and cocktail bars!

Postby Alexandria » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:25 pm

A true walk down Memory Lane .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby Uschi » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:48 am

How lovely Pat!!!

I am still best friends with a girl from the appartment block where our parents lived when we were born within six weeks of each other. Monika and I were already friends when we were still sitting in prams, went to the same Kindergarten (right next door) and primary school. After the death of my parents she is the person who knows me longest (and probably best). Magic1

Postby dennispc » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:25 pm

Hurtigruten, perfect for a sailor as it's a working boat. Always wanted to do it, never managed it though.

On retirement friends recommended going on a cruise, must do it, you'll never do anything else, etc., etc. Chose P&O trip to Western Med. It was fine, evening shows absolutely superb, but not fussed about doing another, although we did Alaska (only way to see it), we haven't done another. Struck me it was designed for Brits who wanted to go abroad without leaving home.

However, after trying a couple of river cruises we did settle into cruising in Croatia. Boats we chose were small – 30 – 50 passengers, more like a house party.

Another trip we enjoyed was a converted barge on the Seine – food superb, cheeses local (different three each evening) as was morning bread and pastries.

One thing I would say about big ship cruises, they do look after disabled passengers.

Postby Renee » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:22 pm

I've never fancied a cruise and wouldn't like the idea of a large house party! I like to absorb the atmosphere of the place that I'm going to and be amongst the people.

My youngest son and family have enjoyed holidays on boats on the Norfolk Broads, the Canal du Midi and canals in this country. One of the reasons is that they can take their dog.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:52 pm

As Homer once said: " I came by ship, with a ship´s company, sailing the wine dark sea for ports of call on alien shores ".

Being born on the sea and raised on the sea, there is nothing that I treasure more, than being on sea.

We have taken several Cruises over the years, to some of the most beautiful ports in the Mediterranean.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox