Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:48 pm

My son took his new boyfriend to the Jules Verne for his birthday a month or so ago. The pictures were stunning but I haven’t spoken to him about it yet.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:10 pm

The view is stunning. President Macron took Trumo there. I suspect it was a shrew move on his point for deducing that whatever the food was like Trump would be so impressed by the location he would be tweeting his praises all night.!!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Renee » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:14 pm

Ha ha ha!

Postby Alexandria » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:24 pm

Joan & Renée,

There is a fairly lengthy article in The Guardian.

I must go to the airport ..

Have a lovely evening.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Renee » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:33 pm

Thanks Member 461. I'll have a look.

Postby Alexandria » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:04 pm

Renée,

Extremely interesting article .. :thumbsup

Let me know your views on it ..

Have a lovely day. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Renee » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:18 am

I managed to find the article Member 461.

What a lot of trouble there has been at the restaurant with the eviction of Alain Ducasse who had run the restaurant for several years. He launched and lost a lawsuit to keep control of the restaurant. It seems that the restaurant has been modernised both with the décor and the menu.

The views from the second floor are amazing and a wonderful place to dine with panoramic views over the city.

Postby Binky » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:20 am

This is not food related, but it's a great tip I read on another board.

To stay cool in this beastly hot weather, wring out a cotton scarf in cold water and place the damp scarf around your neck.

It really works!

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:35 am

I was watching the Tour de France yesterday, as I do most afternoons. They were in the Nimes region and it was 37c in the shade . I saw some of the riders trying to push ice cubes through the gaps in their crash helmets - some just had ice filled stockings draped round their necks.

Another tip is to fill your hot water bottle with ice - or cold water and stick it in the freezer. I sometimes take out a chiller block and stick it in a pillow case and put it in the bed.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Pampy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:37 am

I'll second Binky's suggestion - I've got a damp towel round my neck at the moment! I also have a hand-held fan which is invaluable if I have to go out somewhere that's not very well cooled (like a doctor's surgery).

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:14 pm

They were getting quite irate about the heat, Joan, I heard one contestant saying that the governing body should introduce new rules for the extreme heat. I am also reminded of the women's world cup football, where they had extra cooling off breaks during the games!

Looks like we're not going to get that tour win this year. It's astonishing that after hundreds of miles there's only seconds in it between the leaders. Mind you, in the latest Formula 1 qualifying, Hamilton lost out on pole position by just six thousandths of a second, that's 0.4 millimetres.

Postby Renee » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:59 pm

I'm a keen fan of Formula 1 Sakkarin! I think that the next one is in Germany and will be televised thank goodness.

Postby Binky » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:08 pm

It was Peter Sagan who made the complaint on TV last night.

He said the heat was ridiculous and cyclists shouldn't have been allowed out. There is a governing body (CPA?) akin to a union I suppose, and Sagan said they should be doing something for the safety and health of the cyclists, or what are they paying their fees/membership for?

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:10 pm

Not a fan of formula 1 at all but I appreciated Andy Hamilton's line that he knows how to make it more exciting - intoduce zebra crossings,

Postby Renee » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:10 pm

I absolutely agree with you there Binky.

Postby Wic » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:28 pm

We are really enjoying Le Tour this year, it’s very exciting and nice that it’s not dominated by one team for a change. I really think that cyclists must be the toughest of all sportsmen, to go 'full gas' as they all seem to be saying at the moment, for hundreds of kilometres in all types of weather and up mountains that most people would blanch at the thought of walking up, has to be totally mad, or totally amazing.

Yesterday was too hot, though, it did seem too tough, even for them.

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:37 pm

Not so hot today it's pouring down. The descent into Gap is notoriously difficult and dangerous.

Postby cherrytree » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:04 pm

It’s hotter than ever here in Lozere. I don’t know when Ive known it quite as uncomfortable and the flies are absolutely shocking.

Postby Renee » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:13 pm

My thoughts are with you cherrytree. Those flies must be horrendous.

We had a downpour overnight and it's about 24C today, so not too bad.

Postby cherrytree » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:41 pm

It’s been about 36c today. I’m a compassionate woman ,I really am but we’ve bought some of those sticky fly papers today and I’ve no sympathy left at all.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox