Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Pampy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:24 pm

I'd love a tandoor too. I'd also like a steam oven and have toyed with the idea of getting the steam accessories for my existing oven.

Postby jeral » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:27 pm

I seem to recall that tandoor coal ovens in India take a day to come up to temperature so are rarely switched off. Hence I've put my name down for one for this winter when it can happily stay on for six months :thumbsup

I wonder why those single shelf ovens don't come in a domestic version. The sort in a 3-shelf stack like Anna Olsen et al bakes in.

Do you need to find the proverbial two-year-old to figure out all the settings on fancy ovens? I'd worry about how much more there is to go wrong...

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:59 pm

Talking of confising oven settings, my oven broke a while back, and I've not got round to fixing it, however I did a test the other day, and because it's a fan oven, the grill works just as if it was an oven. So yesterday I had some Cherry Clafoutis to celebrate. Well, actually I didn't have any cream, so it ended up as cherry bread and butter pudding, together with a bit of baguette I had in the freezer.

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:22 pm

Snap with the wood fired oven & tandoor envy - in fact The Lushly was going to build a w/f oven at the bottom of the garden a couple of years back - but then I thought just how often would it be used? So didn't - would've looked good tho'...…..! And would probably have plants growing in it by now!

Pampy wrote: I'd also like a steam oven and have toyed with the idea of getting the steam accessories for my existing oven.

Snap again Pampy - my Neff has the facility for steam - but haven't really looked into it tho' - let me know if you do go for it.

Postby Pampy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:13 pm

Mine's a Neff too - will let you know if/when I get round to looking at it seriously.

Postby Alexandria » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:34 pm

Sakkarin,

A wood burning outdoor pizza oven is a true treat,
however, must have a permit here to install.

My parents wanted to build one, however,
they could not due to the legal prohibitions
due to their closeness to a Nature Reserve
Biosphere (a National Park).

Unfornately, we cannot even put a
Hibatchi Japanese tiny grill on our
roof top terrace. It is against the
Building Condo Regulations & Fire Dept.
official Laws.

Have a nice wkend.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:01 pm

The all time record for the highest temperature ever recorded has been made a few kms from us at the weather station Carpentras just shy of 45C. It's just ridiculous and we haven't got the energy to do very much at all.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Alexandria » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:08 pm

Heat Wave in Spain ..

My dad just told me that there were 2 deaths, in Spain.

A Young man of seventeen and an elderly man of ninety three ..

Awful news.

Here, it is chilly ( 13 - 16 degrees and foggy, drizzling and cloudy )
in Northern Portugal ..

Best wishes for a lovely weekend .. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Pampy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:11 am

There's also a huge wildfire in Catalonia.

Postby Rainbow » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:16 am

Joanbunting wrote:The all time record for the highest temperature ever recorded has been made a few kms from us at the weather station Carpentras just shy of 45C. It's just ridiculous and we haven't got the energy to do very much at all.

You have my sympathy, Rats. When we lived in South Australia it went over 40º for a few days most summers (well, it still does!!) and one summer I remember 45º - it was terrible and we didn't have Air-con back then or a nice, cool house!!

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:02 pm

There are a number of death each year because people lie out in the sun for ages then jump into cold water. Trouble is when the weather gets hoy peoples brains get addled

Air con was not very common in France unti relatively recently when pople decided they wanted modern houses with big windows and inadequate insulation.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Alexandria » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:20 pm

It was 15 degrees this morning in Northern Portugal where I shall be working through July.
Today, it is overcast and high will be 22 - 23 degrees at most throughout the week of
July st - 7th.

A wise decision to go north verses Algarve. :thumbsup

Have a lovely weekend. :wave :wave

Postby Alexandria » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:30 pm

Catastrophe in Tarragona, Spain .. :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown

5, 500 Hectares of land had been burnt to a crisp.

350 fire fighters and 221 National U.M.E. (National Rescue Team of the Spanish Air Force)
have been battling the challenges of reducing the raging
flames.

Temperatures had peaked at 45 Centig degrees.

Disaster in Southern France .. :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown

Also suffering similar .. Temperatures were at highest yesterday at
45 Centig ..

Navarra and Zaragoza, Aragon :thumbsdown :thumbsdown

On alert .. Temperatures are rocketing.

All our best wishes from Northern Portugal to those
who had lost their farms and homes. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:15 pm

It looks terrible Member 461

I saw the pictures on UK media, but they weren’t specific about where in Catalonia it was.

I see there have been fires in Galicia too

Postby Renee » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:27 pm

It's terrible news Member 461 and must be horrendous for all the fire workers working in all that heat. :( You're definitely in the right place at the moment. It's about 28C here and rather humid.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:38 pm

Renée & Sue,
(16.40 )

THE LATEST REPORT .. WATCHING NEWS 18.00 FROM NORTHERN PORTUGAL.

HIGH VOLTAGE POWER LINE - HOT WEATHER IS PROBABLE CAUSE .. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

VILLAGE OF SANT JOAN DE LAINO, PONTEVEDRA, GALICIA

Firstly the firefighters have been aided by lighter winds, in their battle against an
insane wild fire, which broke out on Friday the 28th in the above named village.

Hundreds and hundreds of fire fighters, and The U.M.E. ( National Airforce Rescue of Spain )
have been battling these flames by helicopters ( over 7 helicopters ) since yesterday.

As we am in Northern Portugal, my parents are reporting the majority of the news to us.

2, 100 Acres have been destroyed. Terrible destruction and a true catastrophe as this is probably an electric power
fire ..

The most terrible part, is that Pontevedra has been the constant victim of uncountable forest fires, the majority
criminal (pyro.maniacs) in the last 20 years.

All my best wishes for the families and animals in this tiny village and surrounding
towns of Pontevedra.

Have a lovely weekend .. :wave :wave

Postby Alexandria » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:20 pm

19.15 - Saturday.

Fires in Spain ..

Have some good news and some bad news.

1) Fires in Tarragona: Thanks to all the Air Force, Military and Firefighters of Spain, Portugal, Italy & France;
the fires are under control ..

Over 5,500 hectares have been destroyed. :twisted: :twisted:

2) Our neighbours, of the Mediterranean, Portugal, Italy & France provided Air Force and Man Power to battle
the flames .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

3) ACTIVE FIRES AT MOMENT: :evil: :evil: :evil:

a) Sant Joan Laiona, Pontevedra, Galicia
b) Almorox, Toledo
c) Gavilanes, Avila
d) The village of Cadalso, The Madrid Sierra

Postby Renee » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:52 pm

Thank you for the updates Member 461. Totally horrendous and caused by a high voltage power line? That could happen again.

My thoughts are with all the poor people who have been affected by the fires. So sad.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:03 pm

22.00 - Saturday.

Good evening Renée,

Terrible castrophies absolutely.

1) The only fire related to electric high voltage is the Galician fire.

2) Tarragona is under control .. The Water Bombers from Helicopters
are bombing away ..

3) Yes, we feel very saddened.

4) Reason for the other fires: At moment all are under national and local police investigation.

Have a lovely weekend. :wave :wave :wave

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:08 pm

Couldn't resist photoshopping our potential prime ministers. Apologies to Brexiteers...

Oh dear, the piercing gimlet eyes of an "entrepreneur"...

You couldn't make it up.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox