Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Pampy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:37 am

Oh my - I nearly swooned at those pictures! :lol: :lol: I could murder something like that at the moment!

Postby Uschi » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:48 am

Thanks Pampy. It really was good. I can make individual meringues, but would baulk at trying this in Axel's oven. Maybe in a year or two.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:12 am

It looks delicious. I'm trying to avoid treats like that at the moment but think that one should have something involving sponge, cream and soft fruits at least once every summer, preferably when visiting someone else so that you don't eat it all!

Postby Binky » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:28 am

Uschi, your pictures have reminded me of a good friend who has now moved permanently back home to Konstanz.

Whenever we visited her, she always had a dainty table cloth and candles set (whatever the time of day) and best of all an outstanding dessert cake. It must be something in German genes.

Postby Uschi » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:01 am

Binky, "Kaffee und Kuchen" coffee and cake" are a cultural thing, much like tea time in the UK. I don't know why it is so ingrained. Maybe it is because we grow up with it and there are so many recipes swapped between people (women mostly, but the menfolk are starting to catch up - Axel bakes often and well).
I am not sure where this stems from. It may have to do with political repression in the early and mid-nineteenth century where people turned inwards and met in small intimate circles. What is left over from this time is a culture of "small" entertaining. Coffee and cake in the afternoon, "Bowle" (a large bowl of cold wine punch - usually wine, bubbly and fruit or herbs to flavour the whole thing) shared in special glasses amongst the guests. BBQing is a newer phenomenon of the same thing.
The aim, in any case, is to have a gemütliche time, chat and unwind.

The word for such a coffee and cake circle is "Kaffeeklatsch" (literally coffee chinwag (but "Klatsch" can also mean splash or even a smack)).

Oh dear, an ethnolical essay again. :oops:
Anyway, some customs are good enough to share.

Postby Suffs » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:02 am

Earthmaiden wrote:It looks delicious. I'm trying to avoid treats like that at the moment but think that one should have something involving sponge, cream and soft fruits at least once every summer, preferably when visiting someone else so that you don't eat it all!

With all the new rules and regulations being brought in at the moment, perhaps we could slip that one past Noris ... Hancock et al would probably believe us if we said it was a proven Covid preventative ... after all in Germany Uschi and friends have eaten it and are fit and healthy ... if The F@rt can advocate drinking bleach or whatever ...???

Postby scullion » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:15 am

Uschi wrote:Oh dear, an ethnolical essay again. :oops:
Anyway, some customs are good enough to share.

your ethnological essays are always welcome and interesting, uschi.
sadly, some of the older customs from over here are slipping away.
i wouldn't class the ducking stool and scolds bridle etc in with those though, some old customs are best left in the past!.

Postby Uschi » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:52 am

Definitely, Scullion! There are good and bad customs. :D

Suffolk, the thing is that households that bake are usually households that cook, too. So the "unhealthy" cake is offset by home-cooking and often rather healthy home-cooking. Besides, sharing the cake means that the calory intake is seriously lowered. :lol: :lol: :lol:
And we all know how healthy a good social life is.

Postby jeral » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:35 pm

In these socially restricted times, will 1970s dinner parties re-emerge? Suffs, the best way to get something banned is for the government to find out about it ;)I'm a secret lemonade drinker

Binky, I was wondering if you might like soft soggy cakes like tiramisu or Black Forest gateau, but Uschi's friend's light creamy fruity sponge (minus nuts) looks irresistible, healthy and filling so should tick a few boxes for you I hope :thumbsup

Postby Suffs » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:07 pm

jeral wrote:In these socially restricted times, will 1970s dinner parties re-emerge?

OH sells top quality cookware and tableware etc ... since he returned to work sales have exceeded targets almost every day :shock: Cooking and eating in are the new eating out here in Norwich at least.

Postby Uschi » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:25 pm

Bad news for restaurants and pubs, good news for the NHS.
I guess what with all the "how to" videos on youtube even the less experienced feel empowered. I remember the Kurdish little girl in my former abode and her friend trying out cakes and biscuits from videos. They kept coming for baking powder and other things they needed and sometimes I was drafted in to help out when they got stuck. Still, two ten or eleven-year olds showing such initiative was impressive. The results weren't bad, either.

Postby miss mouse » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:49 pm

How sweet re the little girls Uschi.

Postby Uschi » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:59 pm

I always used to distribute biscuits and cakes, so they knew I'd have baking stuff and that I would help them.

Postby miss mouse » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:27 pm

I remember your Christmas and was it Easter extravaganzas, very lovely.

Postby Uschi » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:45 pm

I do enjoy going to town on these occasions. I also made meringue ghosts and monsters. So much fun.

Postby Pampy » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:25 am

How's a 1970s dinner party different to any other?

Postby scullion » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:31 am

whenever someone mentions 70s dinner parties i always think of 'abigail's party' with the brilliant alison steadman as 'beverley'.

i think it's got to include some really weird combinations of food that people would cringe at nowadays.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:37 am

I was just going to say the same thing!

We don't see Black Forest gateau, prawn cocktail or Liebfraumilch so much these days ;). Or puddings containing soggy booze soaked ginger biscuits with cream :( .

Or lamps made from Mateus Rose bottles.

Postby scullion » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:46 am

oh dear, we like the booze soggy biscuit and cream puddings. either maryland cookies with port or ginger biscuits with rum.
i make them regularly.
we are so-o-o-o retro!

Postby Pampy » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:52 am

And I like prawn cocktail!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox