Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Site Admin

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:32 am

Howz the trapped nerve, Sakkarin?

Virtually gone now, thanks Gill, trust yours is bearable.

I damaged the other two fingers while the hand was semi-numb, so there is still some residual pain, and a hint of numbness still in the fingertips and little finger edge, but nearly back to normal. I have one of these hand exercisers, which I could not clench at all at my worst, my right hand is now nearly as strong as my left hand (should be stronger).

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:01 pm

Same here, Mine's been gone completely for 10 days now, Sakks.
Bliss!
Although the personal trainer had my lifting weights a couple of days ago - he's so enthusiastic/ doesn't listen, and I've got numb buzzing creeping into my hand again.
I'm going to have to rethink my training, probably have to give it up.
I cannot risk long term damage, or even permanent damage.

I don't know what I'd do if I was no longer able to crush a grape, or rip a tissue.

Postby jeral » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:15 pm

Those hand squeeze exercisers are interesting. What I've found is that I've lost finger strength, e.g. pressing some electrical switches on, bubble packs, ripping sachets etc. No idea why as there's nothing wrong, just getting old I guess.

I'm glad you two are getting back to normal, or at least going in the right direction fingers crossed.

Postby Renee » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:26 pm

I do hope that you both get better very soon.

Jeral, I rather think that packaging has become much stronger. It's quite a nightmare trying to open things these days.

I might get one of those hand exercisers.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:25 am

I've got stranglers hands.
I'm the open jar/coke can lid/packaging/ remover in our house.

I have a little spiky soft ball the size of a tennis ball, that you are supposed to work up and down muscles. Useless.
Never thought of using it a hand squeezer.
Will give it a go, thanks for the idea.

Jeral, opening fish yesterday, nearly gave me a dizzy spell. You are not alone, as Renee says.

Bit dark this morning innit?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:58 am

Oh dear, it's disturbing to see that even somewhere as high-profile as Tayyabs resorts to illegal labour to make ends meet. The practice seems utterly ubiquitous in the takeaway business, despite huge fines.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ids-unfair

Postby jeral » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:44 pm

It is one of the illogical things that EU citizens can come to the UK with or without a job contracted, yet a non-EU immigrant has to pay a lot of money and have a contracted job awaiting paying c.50% more than the average wage and certainly well beyond minimum wage.

I wonder if anything much has changed given the spotlight on "hostile environment" this year, i.e. since the article was written in Sept 2017. Although, being in danger of straying into politics and economics, I'll personally "let it lie" as the saying goes.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:54 am

It's an old article, but a current problem.
I presume it's partly the usual issue, you cannot make money out of food. Where drinks licences are concerned, you make more money pulling a pint, than serving food.

Indian restaurants buy their premises for the long term.
Places here are being taken over, and they buy them for over 100yrs. Something for the family - which is why they are family run businesses.

I'm guessing but do not know, that the profits go to the family and extended family.
Not the staff - but I'm thinking off the top of my head.

The woman I paint with has used her winebar for 30yrs to fund her life, childrens education, everything she buys goes over the business.
Which is why she's tight, she doesn't even buy a toilet roll.
Now, when she comes to sell it and retire, the books do not balance. They are trying to sell a 1.5m business, but the books only show its value at 1/4 of that.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:22 pm

I don’t see it as illogical that Commonwealth citizens are treated differently from EU citizens Jeral - whether one agrees with it or not, it is surely the point of having different groups with different rules?

Quite apart from actively encouraging illegal immigrants, I think it’s quite difficult for some legitimate businesses to ensure all their employees meet all the criteria, we are asking people who don’t necessarily have good written English themselves to do a lot of complicated paperwork. And to police a system that “the authorities” don’t police well, they just push it on to the employers.

Haven’t been to Tayyabs in far too long. Our local Kerala Indian restaurant has closed (I think voluntarily; they’ve retired), that seemed to be run as a cooperative by a group from the same small town but not necessarily related.

I have three little squishy balls with different degrees of squish to squeeze and roll around to exercise my damaged right hand.

Postby Renee » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:01 pm

I have a larger spiky ball which I use to massage my feet with when I remember.

Gill, I have strangler hands too. It was a bit embarrassing when I used to say to a man "Give it to me, I'll open it!" :lol:

Postby jeral » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:32 pm

I'd never heard of "strangler hands" :o

I'm not sure about getting a squeeze ball. At the moment I can't pick up the telly to throw it out the window which is probably as well. I know, I'll buy a robot to activate the off switch instead ;)

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:10 am

What have your done to your hand, Sue.
Is it something that will go away? :crossed

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:32 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:What have your done to your hand, Sue.
Is it something that will go away? :crossed

Some years ago (as reported on the BBC board, that long ago) I cut open the outer part of my right hand in a freak accident involving a Magimix blade. I had 3 major nerves and two tendons reconnected by the lovely Mr Khan at the London Hospital, restoring function to my little and ring fingers which were not working

But it has left me with a slightly dodgy grip and occasional odd feelings round the nerve connections (not usually painful, more like when a dental aesthetic wears off)
Need to keep it exercised so it doesn't stiffen up and make the grip worse.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:39 pm

Blimey!

(My friend is frightened of any glass things as she had a horrible injury to her hand).

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:13 pm

The funny thing is I don't have a visible scar, as it is neatly hidden in the natural crease of my palm (the heart line for palmistry fans) - it's just a little more pronounced on the right hand than on the undamaged left hand.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:17 pm

Oooo bit of drama at our house.
We've had a police letter through our door, wondering if we know when a car was vandalised down our private lane.
I saw it on Sunday with the soft top ripped open, when I went shopping - we always park behind it.

Poor fella, that's an expensive repair.
I'm guessing he needs a police report before he can get the insurers on board. And the police will need a date for the crime.

Postby jeral » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:50 pm

Impressive police response. There's huge dissatisfaction here that a crime number is dished out based on a phone call to them and that's that. No investigation or follow-up of crimes. Not so good for the owner of the soft top. Hopefully it's not indicative of a wider car-bashing clan.

There was a news item last week saying that Boris bikes (those pay-to-borrow ones) were disappearing at a rate of knots in some towns so the company operating them was giving up and pulling out. One town was losing 200 a month IIRC many of which were found dumped in the local river. As to the mentality of such wilful destruction, it's beyond me.

Postby Renee » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:58 pm

That's really shocking about the bikes being dumped jeral and it was such a good idea too that people could use them for a short time and then return them.

Gill that must have been upsetting for the owner of that car and a bit worrying for you now in case something happens to your car. The owner will need a crime number from the police to give to the insurance people.

Postby jeral » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:51 am

Renee wrote:That's really shocking about the bikes being dumped jeral and it was such a good idea too that people could use them for a short time and then return them.
...[clip]...

[my bold]

The new bike versions are "leave anywhere" being satellite-tracked and rounded up by the company. So there isn't even the bother of finding an empty slot at a docking point, which was problematic before.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:25 am

The bike scheme sounds excellent in theory, but, put a person into the mix, and you will find a chink.

Years ago, cars down the lane were sprayed with black paint. But the oik ran out of spray just before our car, ha!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox