Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Renee » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:15 pm

Thanks, that's very kind of you jeral. I don't actually do crosswords, unless they are about food and those I can sometimes manage. My son put Microsoft Office on my computer, so I have got Excel. He got it for me through work for about £10 and that's just a one-off payment. I'm going to stay with Colin next week for a fortnight, so I'll give it some thought on my return.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:57 pm

I haven't been around much because we had a week in London and then, somewhat unexpctedly have hod house guests for a week. I'll catch up when I catch my breath next week.

Off to make a soupe au pistou for tonight!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:59 pm

Lucky houseguests, Joan!

I'm really only linking this article on imitation meats because one particular gourmet offering received the accolade "It looks like placenta...", which made me smile.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... taste-test

Postby Suffs » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:56 am

I'm noodling on here this morning 'cos my OH has had to dash into the city on his bike and has asked me not to try planting newly delivered clematis plants and putting up wires until his return as he doesn't want to return from his errand and find me collapsed in a heap under the new pergola 'cos my knee has given way like it did this time last summer. I shall do as he asks

1. because he asked nicely and I said I would
2. because we're going to his mum's tomorrow and as he doesn't drive it'll be a bu$$er if I break my foot again
3. because if I wait until he gets back he might help me with the tricky bits ;-)

I made a seafood linguine last night, based on Rick Stein's https://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrin ... ecipe.html but using clams rather than mussels as that's what the fish stall on the market had. It was really rather yummy.

Tonight's supper will be a sort of Blanquette d'Agneau with some lovely middle neck of lamb from the market yesterday ... I'm going to serve it with braised lettuce and peas ... we've a lot of cos lettuce in the garden at the moment :lol:

Postby Renee » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:00 am

I do hope that your clematis is doing nicely now Suffs! Some people are so good at putting wiring up to support plants, but not me also!! :lol:

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:25 pm

Me neither.
No matter how I shackle our delphinium, it still works loose and drops.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:46 pm

I have a good pub food recommendation for anyone travelling on the M1 in the Derbyshire area. There is a fantastic pub called The Red Lion selling great food on the A57 going towards Worksop, it's about 5 minutes from the M1. We stopped off there for the first time today and had a fabulous meal. Mr Strictly has a prawn and pea risotto with sea bass and scallops on the side, followed by a Triple Chocolate Brownie served with chocolate sauce and chocolate ice cream. My meal was a slow cooked beef short rib and pulled pork covered with a treacle and bourbon sauce, served with chips and coleslaw. My pudding was a trio of iced desserts, I had a scoop each of clotted cream and Eton Mess ice creams, and a scoop of Prosecco sorbet. The ice cream had a slightly chewy texture which we both like.

Somehow, as it's on the way to Mr Strictly's parents we will be calling in again.

Postby Renee » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:49 am

What an interesting article about "fake" meats, Sakkarin and no doubt some of them will be very expensive!

I love delphiniums Gill, but I know what you mean about trying to support them. My grandmother used to grow them, which is why I am so fond of them. A dwarf variety might be a good idea!

What lovely meals you both had Strictly, but sadly I don't go that way! It's definitely a place for you to go back to.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:33 pm

Good morning
I'm back from a week in southern Italy, had lots of nice food and saw all the site

Yesterday I went to the Garden Museum at Lambeth Palace, we were lucky we'd planned to meet there as it suited us but the palace gardens were open, which only happens first Friday of the month in season. We had lunch in the cafe, we ordered all the starters and shared them as a meze with a nice cold bottle of Gruner Veltliner

Today I'm tired and won't do too much

Have a good day

Postby Renee » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:10 am

What a lovely holiday you had, Sue with good food! It is just too hot to do anything today, even cooking! We should get some rain in a week and a half, unless they change their minds before then!

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:35 pm

Thanks for the pub info Claire. DD is moving to Derbyshire this summer, she has a new job in a 2 teacher primary school - her dream. I understand it is near Matlock and my S-I-L lives in Millthorpe.

Your visit yesterday sounds like real serendipity Sue. I love it when things come together like that.

Renee I think you mentioned that you had been to meet Charlotte. I was wondering how she id doing. Has she taken her degree yet? No1 GD is to be head girl of her school next year and this weekend has flown to Poland to do 2 week's work experience in their health service. She has also done her first parachute jump too!

It's extremely hot here at the moment - but that's only to be expected. Jobs are done first thing in the morning and afternoons spent watching Wimbledon, tour de France and of course the footie.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Renee » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:12 am

Joan, Derbyshire is a lovely county, so your DD will be happy there with her new job at the little school. Your GD was so brave doing that parachute jump and being the Head Girl at her school is such an achievement!

Charlotte has her degree now. It's not a top degree, but considering that she was a child who needed extra help, she has done really well. She is still determined to join the Army and is getting frustrated that they're taking a while to get back to her. They have to respond within six weeks, apparently.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:58 am

Renee. I guessed Charlotte must have taken her dgree and very glad she achieved it, knowing that it was not a complete walk-over for her so please give her my congratualtions.

Which branch of the army does she wish to join? I am correct in saying that she was in the cadets before uni are I? Perhaps she could speak with them?

Postby Renee » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:20 pm

Charlotte mentioned being some kind of a medic. She was in the junior section of St John's Ambulance Brigade before she joined the Army cadets when she was at school. I took this photo of her when I met up in Manchester.

I will pass on your congratulations.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:37 pm

Renee. Whar a lovely girl. I know you are proud.

My S-I-L is now a Brigadier in the RAMC. If you like I'll get him to offfer some suggestions or put her in touch with someone who could advise further. If you PM me with a contact I'll pass them on to him.

Postby Renee » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:57 pm

Thank you Joan, that's very kind of you. I'll try to contact her tomorrow morning.

Postby Renee » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:55 pm

Joan, Charlotte rang me back briefly this morning, but only had time for a few words. She was very pleased to hear from you, but she said that everything has been sorted out now and organised. I expect that I shall hear more the next time that I speak to her!!

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:07 am

I'm baaaaaack.
Really pleased to hear Charlotte is doing so well, our Renee.
She's a little Magic1 in her spotty dress.

Hand washing this am, and there's a lot of it.
And I'm cooking again of course.

Postby Renee » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:33 am

Great to have you back with us Gill! I hope that you've had a lovely holiday with lots of good things to eat. I expect that the weather here is similar to what you've been used to! We've had some rain here in the north west and it's drizzling slightly this morning.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:40 am

Morning Renee.
Banging hot, anything from 30 - 34.

The nicest thing I had to eat was a starter of terrine, and homemade fig chutney.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox