Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:11 am

It depends on how bad the reaction is surely, and how important it is to take the drug?
Every case is different. There are some drugs that can give you a mild reaction initially but it wears off if you ignore it (I have taken an anti fungal in the past that made me feel queasy for a couple of days but was fine for the rest of the 28 day course) - but I was warned of this by the pharmacist

It’s always worth reading the patient information leaflet (PIL) in the pack which discusses side effects. The PIL contains the information that the regulatory authorities have decided you need to have available, it’s not just up to the manufacturer

Of course if you have worrying side effects, you should consult the doctor or pharmacist. But all drugs have some side effects

Postby Rainbow » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:56 am

Stokey Sue wrote:It depends on how bad the reaction is surely, and how important it is to take the drug?
Every case is different. There are some drugs that can give you a mild reaction initially but it wears off if you ignore it (I have taken an anti fungal in the past that made me feel queasy for a couple of days but was fine for the rest of the 28 day course) - but I was warned of this by the pharmacist

It’s always worth reading the patient information leaflet (PIL) in the pack which discusses side effects. The PIL contains the information that the regulatory authorities have decided you need to have available, it’s not just up to the manufacturer

Of course if you have worrying side effects, you should consult the doctor or pharmacist. But all drugs have some side effects

Good advice, Sue.

I often find the list of possible side effects a worry in itself :lol:
Luckily most of them rarely happen :)

Postby Renee » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:21 am

Many thanks for the advice Sue.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:05 am

Meant to add you don’t always get the PIL, especially from hospitals when they’ve given you a part of a big pack.

But if you google for
Patient Information Leaflet <drug name> UK

you will find it online

Postby dennispc » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:57 pm

Dentist issued their own PIL – nausea, lack of taste, furred tongue, lack of appetite. Spot on. OH's been having it for a mild infection, hers ends tomorrow, mine on Tuesday. :cry:

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:05 pm

Oh dear Dennis - you are having a rough time of it - keep telling yourself 'It WILL end'
:newhuggy

Postby Pampy » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:10 pm

Renee, the reaction started on day 3 of a 5 day course of the antibiotic and, of course, I consulted the dentist who prescribed it. Her advice was that as the tablets were working on the infection, to complete the course if I felt that I could do so. As it was a very bad infection, I persevered. I had read the PIL, so was pretty certain that it was the tablets that caused the reaction.

Postby dennispc » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:22 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:Oh dear Dennis - you are having a rough time of it - keep telling yourself 'It WILL end'
:newhuggy

Lovely message Luscious, thank you. I think officially we're classed as elderly so we know things will take a bit longer.

Reneé, because OH had started the same antibiotic a couple of days before me, I knew what was coming, just hoped it wouldn't! Our Superdrug Pharmacist confirmed it. Easier to get hold off than our GP's. She's also a happy soul, which makes bad news easier. :roll:

Postby Renee » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:30 pm

Thanks very much for your reply Pampy. It was very helpful. I'll continue taking a drug in future if the reaction isn't too bad. I will probably check with a pharmacist too.

Oh Dennis, it will soon be Tuesday and I hope that your tooth problem is improving by now. Fingers crossed.

Postby dennispc » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:55 pm

Pampy's and Sue's contribution I've found useful. Missed a paracetamol yesterday and found my tooth wasn't that bad, so for the moment am sticking to that.

Thanks Reneé, we're just waiting for the nurse, so I've a few moments. OH made an omlette last night so just another task she can now do, though I whisked the eggs. :D

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:18 pm

So progress is being made-if slowly. It is however still progress. Long and faster may it continue. :crossed :crossed
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby dennispc » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:43 pm

Oh yes, it's progress and we've agreed with the nurses they now only need to change dressing twice a week - even better progress.

Now then, I haven't told you all about Gorgeous George - one of the doctors at the hospital. No joking, straight out of central casting, absolutely gorgeous, George Clooney eat your heart out, hence Gorgeous George. :D

OH's consultant is a lovely man, respected by all, says good morning to everyone, including the staff who were cleaning the ceiling fans when he arrived one day. A brilliant surgeon as well. GG had obviously learnt well from him. One lunch time early on, he pulled up a chair to explain to us both the exact nature of the operation and did we have any questions. He spent nearly an hour with us. So reassuring, he was not only listening to us but engaging as well.

District nurse this morning was chatting about her training thirty years ago. Second year in on a ward that dealt with breast operations. Consultant demanded every patient be sat in a chair by their bed when he did his rounds, however uncomfortable it was for them, who seemed determined to humiliate as many people as possible.

Fortunately, we were dealing with staff who were humane. :D

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:11 am

Cripes, the not so good old days.

Postby Uschi » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:41 am

I hope everyone who had been ill is on the mend now.
I spent a lovely few days flitting to and from the hospital with OH admitted for a small operation. I hope that this will be it for a while.

Anyway, I felt I needed some shopping therapy, but didn't really have time for it. As it was, I remembered seeing and liking some glass bowls/candle holders and so did a mini-shopping trip and availed myself of them.

ImageGlasschüsselchen by natterjack3, auf Flickr

Ridiculous as it sounds, a purchase under 10 € has made me very happy. :oops:

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:52 am

They're pretty, Uschi.
All the best to the OH, and his recovery. Kissy kissy, lovey lovey better.

Postby Uschi » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:43 pm

Oh, he's been kissed aplenty already. Before going into the theatre and coming out when he was hardly aware of anything. The nurse who took him in and out was a lovely chap and gave us a few seconds each way.

As for the little bowls, they have been on my mind since I saw them. They are breaking out the baubles already here ... earlier in the week when it was still hot.
I keep thinking "I must get this one for Isylta", but there's no point. :(

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:13 pm

Those bowls are gorgeous Uschi.
\hope OH's recover continues well. Best wishes to him.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Uschi » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:31 pm

Thank you both!
Apart from the fact that he does not want to stray too far from the toilet he is amazingly fine. We're just waiting for news on how aggressive the bugger was.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:15 pm

Everything crossed for the results Uschi

Postby dennispc » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Thinking of you both Uschi.

Dennis

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox