Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Chatterbox

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:59 pm

Great to hear from you Binky

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:02 pm

When I (rarely) make YP's, I measure equal quantities by volume of egg, milk and plain flour, give them a good whizz in my Bamix and leave to stand for a while - I think this is a JM recipe :)

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:14 pm

I too am pleased we've heard from you Binky.

My MIL used to use SR flour for Yorkshire pudding and it was always flat and heavy. Recipes vary hugely as some use many more eggs than others. I was brought up on 4oz flour, 1/2 pt milk and one egg. Nowadays I stretch it to two eggs but have never been disappointed with the results.

Postby smitch » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:38 pm

My family recipe is 2oz plain flour, one egg, a pinch of salt, 2 tablespoons of water and 2 tablespoons of milk.

Postby Grasshopper » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:57 pm

Ellow!!!!

Haven't been hopping about for a while, have I?

Regardez YPs. Our go-to recp is 1 mugfull plain flour, a good pinch of salt, 3 large eggs and a pint of skimmed milk. Whisk all together very well, incorporating lots of air, then leave it until you wish to use it. the batter should be fairly thin at this stage. When ready to use your batter, give it another whisk. Put a little fat in each tin / tray segment and get your tins smoky hot, (we like to use goose fat). fill the containers about half full and cook for about 20 mins or until well-risen.

Yummmmmmmm :yum :yum :yum :yum :yum :yum

We've been having a hedgehog visiting! He/she made several visits today, including this morning.
Been putting mealworms & catfood out.

:D
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby Suffs » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:02 pm

My ingredients are the same as Smitch’s recipe but I’ve never measured any of it ... probably 3-4 ozs plain flour, a pinch of salt, one large egg and enough milk with a splash of gold water to make a batter like pouring cream.

Just take everything else out of the oven, whack the heat up to 200+ , put the YP tray in the oven with a little dripping, lard of sunflower oil in until it’s smoking hot while you give the batter a last vigorous whisking ... take out the tray and pour in the batter ... back into the oven quickly and shut the door ... and stand well back ...

Postby Pampy » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:11 am

Good to hear from you Binky but sorry things aren't so good. Sending lots of good vibes your way :newhuggy

Postby Rainbow » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:34 am

Suffs wrote:My ingredients are the same as Smitch’s recipe but I’ve never measured any of it ... probably 3-4 ozs plain flour, a pinch of salt, one large egg and enough milk with a splash of gold water to make a batter like pouring cream.

Just take everything else out of the oven, whack the heat up to 200+ , put the YP tray in the oven with a little dripping, lard of sunflower oil in until it’s smoking hot while you give the batter a last vigorous whisking ... take out the tray and pour in the batter ... back into the oven quickly and shut the door ... and stand well back ...

I don't make YP's so probably shouldn't comment.
Just to say that I remember on the Delia online forum (closed years ago!) there was a discussion about heating the trays before adding the batter.
It was agreed that it wasn't necessary - just makes the whole operation much more dangerous!!

Good to hear from you Binky. Sorry to hear things aren't great but sounds as if you are doing OK in the circumstances. And certainly got the food well organised :)
Sending best wishes from around the globe!

Postby Suffs » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:44 am

I’m sorry but I have to disagree ... pouring batter into cold oil will not make a light and fluffy pudding with crisp edges
https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/int ... ding-for-6
It produces a heavy doughy pancake ... I know ... Ma tried it time after time, year after year :lol:

And I really can’t see that it’s any more dangerous than manoeuvring a roasting rib of beef in and out of the oven to baste it. Cooking isn’t a risk free operation. ;)

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:13 am

Whilst I do heat the fat, my mother never did and she made really lovely YPs and Toad in the Hole. Despite seemingly doing exactly as she did to the same recipe, mine have never seemed quite the same, even though perfectly acceptable. I sometimes wonder if the oven makes a difference.

DS makes fabulous individual YPs, he fills the patty pans half full of fat which is more than I would. They aren't at all greasy.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:01 am

Earthmaiden wrote:Despite seemingly doing exactly as she did to the same recipe, mine have never seemed quite the same, even though perfectly acceptable. I sometimes wonder if the oven makes a difference.

I assume you are referring back to when we are young - I think both ovens and, perhaps significantly, flour have changed a bit over that time.P

Postby scullion » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:05 am

a discussion about the best way to make yorkshire puddings was one of the early items on 'the kitchen cabinet' on the radio.
the food scientist, dr peter barham, after having done the experiments, said that he would use cold oil.

i wouldn't know, i don't make them either, but my mother's (who always put them in hot fat) never came out anything other than flat and cake-y whatever recipe she used.
maybe the oven temperature is the important factor.

Postby jeral » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:20 pm

Fan vs not fan might be a factor in ovens. In my normal oven, non fan works best to avoid soggy bottoms, which can happen in the halogen fan-top oven although they rise higher in that.

Some chefs, JO I think, puts the hot pan on a lit hob to both keep it hot and start the bottom setting. I wonder how Mary avoids soggy bottoms?

Postby scullion » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:22 pm

tena lady.

Postby Suffs » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:27 pm

IMG_1622.JPG

With my fan oven you can't switch the fan off, but not a soggy bottom in sight ;)

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:32 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: @ Scully!

Binky :wave: good to see you - I was wondering how things were going with you & how you are too............Mucho :newhuggy

I don't cook yorkies very often - only with roast beef which isn't all that often, but cook them as my family always did, pretty much identical to Suffs way. I have a Neff oven & the element is on the bottom for conventional cooking, but even on fan settings it doesn't make a huge difference - just has to be hot hot hot.

Postby Seatallan » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:32 pm

Binky, it is indeed good to hear from you :wave

Grassy, good to see you too! We have a regular hedgepig visitor too- in fact, sometimes there are two of them (I think a mum and adolescent offspring). I feed ours Hedgehog Tucker from local supplier (see link). They seem to enjoy it and I must admit it looks remarkably like museli :D https://birdsbistro.co.uk/product/hedgehog-tucker/
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Binky » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:18 pm

We had a hedgehog visit the garden and got all excited. This was about 6-7 years ago. We bought a hedgehog house and a sack of hedgehog food. Poor little fella didn't last long - what we hadn't realised is that there is a badger sett in the small wood behind our garden, and badgers eat hedgehogs. :?

Postby miss mouse » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:05 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:
I assume you are referring back to when we are young - I think both ovens and, perhaps significantly, flour have changed a bit over that time.P

or we were so hungry all the time anything would do.

Postby dennispc » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:27 am

Joining in the chorus of thanking Binky for being in touch, our continued best wishes to you and hubby.

Yorkshire’s? OH’s department, but our Yorkshire family would love yours Suffs.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox