Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Chatterbox

Postby Renee » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:04 am

KC2 I had the same problem with the grill at the top of my oven. I knocked it one day, there was a flash and it hasn't worked since. I really wouldn't be without my Tower Halogen oven and if anything went wrong with it I would buy another. The only problem is the lid which isn't hinged. I see that the price has come down:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tower-Convecti ... g=mh0a9-21

Postby Seatallan » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:19 pm

EM, I agree actually. I wish eye-level grills were still around. It was so much easier to keep tabs on things when grilling. I'm not sure if it is just a health & safety thing or if they've simply gone out of fashion.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Pampy » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:14 pm

In the 80s, I had a Canon gas cooker with an eye-level grill/rotisserie which I loved. The rotisserie had skewers for kebab type things too and I used to use it a lot making tandoori dishes. The grill was good for making naan/flat breads - I think that gas gives a more intense heat which is better for making them.

Postby jeral » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:14 pm

Apart from cooker hoods and the craze for minimal/streamline = integrated, I was going to say that the eye-level grill was only used for toast in our house so not much of a safety worry, but if Pampy says hers had eye-level rotisserie, clearly my experience is limited.

On an integral grill smoking. It might work if you if empty the oven except for a tray at the bottom, switch the grill on high and leave it for 15 mins once hot with the door closed. Leave to cool and see if any burnt bits can be gently brushed off. If that works, grilling 4" below the element might help avoid constant fat sprinks onto it.

Postby Suffs » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:42 pm

I had an electric cooker with an eye level rotisserie in 1971 ish. I think it might have been called a Jackson

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:05 pm

I remember Jacksons
We had a rotisserie in the eye level igrill can't remember the make, bought 1975

I liked the rotisserie the 3 or 4 times I used it, but I disliked the blast of heat in my face, I'm with Michael Flanders who said that the purpose of the eye level grill was to allow bacon to spit in your eye without the trouble of bending down

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:02 pm

jeral wrote:
On an integral grill smoking. It might work if you if empty the oven except for a tray at the bottom, switch the grill on high and leave it for 15 mins once hot with the door closed. Leave to cool and see if any burnt bits can be gently brushed off. If that works, grilling 4" below the element might help avoid constant fat sprinks onto it.

That's a good idea, thanks, definitely worth a try. I have no idea what has caused it to smoke so badly without having used it .... And we haven't even had it that long, only about three years I think. It's a Neff so not a cheapo either.

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:41 am

We have a convection oven like a halogen oven only it has an electric heating element - fantastic for grilled stuff especially spatchocked chicken.

Site Admin

Re: Fridge Hygiene

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:33 am

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/news/ ... ia-fridge/

Defrost the freezer ONCE A MONTH? I've been trying to CLEAR my freezer for a defrost for a month...

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:02 am

Is this advice from 1970? Modern freezers, even ones that aren’t actually frost free, don’t ice up in 4weeks
Would probably be more relevant to maintain the door seals to avoid the need.

And it doesn’t mention my bugbear which is probably as relevant, which is people putting food into the fridge inadequately covered or wrapped, I’ve noticed that people on forums get very annoyed if they don’t see a tv cook wash their hands but don’t bat an eyelid if chef marinates raw meat or chicken in a strong smelling mixture including garlic, wine, fish sauce etc and put it into the fridge uncovered next to the milk. Yuk.

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:19 am

I've been trying to CLEAR my freezer for a defrost for a month...

Much the same here. I ought to replace our freezer. It does get defrosted, maybe every couple of years, as I aim to do it annually but fail to find the opportunity. As mentioned before, it's over thirty years old and I fear that one day it will pack up.

I disagree about (not) using anti bacterial spray in fridges, for fear of it getting on the food. Recently everything that's wrapped or packaged has been sprayed before going in the fridge. Surely you'd empty the fridge or at least the shelf before cleaning it, and not put uncovered food in there in case of cross contamination. Pretty much everything in our fridge is either wrapped, in containers or at least covered.

Ah, I see you mentioned this already Sue :D

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:48 am

Oddly enough I have been building up all weekend to tackle cleaning the fridge, probably my most hated job. It's a pain to clean as it's one of those American fridge freezer efforts so very tall and also difficult for me to reach the back at the bottom.

If I were the only one using it it wouldn't be such an onerous task. Vegan son is supposed to use the outside Beko which is newer and easier to clean but a surprising number of things have migrated to the kitchen one. Still, he has just bought his first flat so that won't be a problem for much longer.

I will use the anti-bacterial spray with gay abandon.

Postby scullion » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:10 am

Pepper Pig wrote:I will use the anti-bacterial spray with gay abandon.

i hear about her so often but have never met her!

Postby aero280 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:22 am

We are going to walk around to the Bushey Open Air Festival today. There’s expected to be a stage show, craft fair, some classic cars, and food stalls.

If you know the area, it’s on the old Met Police sports ground, just along the road from Costco.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:31 pm

Hope you enjoy it aero. Sounds nice but I would be worried about social distancing.

I've got a fridge freezer, not terribly old. It has three drawers and ice forms under the bottom drawer until the drawer sticks and won't close properly. There's nothing for it but to remove the ice then. It needs a hair dryer to loosen it but doesn't take long really. Rather annoying though, I'm not sure where the water that creates the ice comes from. It needs doing at the moment :roll:.

Postby Suffs » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:45 pm

EM is there a drainhole at the back which has become blocked ... poke a BBQ skewer/knitting needle down it and wriggle it around

Postby aero280 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:04 pm

It was a pleasant walk around to the Open Air festival. A it smaller than the usual. We stay for a bit over an hour. We were going to eat there, but the queues were a bit long, so we've come home instead.

Postby Suelle » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:14 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:
I've got a fridge freezer, not terribly old. It has three drawers and ice forms under the bottom drawer until the drawer sticks and won't close properly. There's nothing for it but to remove the ice then. It needs a hair dryer to loosen it but doesn't take long really. Rather annoying though, I'm not sure where the water that creates the ice comes from. It needs doing at the moment :roll:.

Water builds up mainly from the moisture in the fresh air that gets in every time you open the freezer door.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby jeral » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:44 pm

Not much cooking going on here as I've just bought a Dyson V11 stick vacuum and am totally exhausted from using it after two days.

It's easy enough but so blinking heavy in the handheld bit. It does have enough suction for the crevice tool to clean the trenches around the carpet edges where it tucks behind the gripper rod and dreaded moths lurk, so thank goodness for that.

This post is because I found a little gadget that holds the dead man's handle trigger switch on or off. It's not the holding on that's bad to me but that the surround cuts into my finger so hopefully this will stop it. If anyone else has that problem, it's here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... UTF8&psc=1

Now for a fish finger sandwich...

Postby Amber » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:02 am

That looks very good Jeral. I believe there’s something similar on petrol pumps, but I can never remember how to use ‘it’. :roll:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox