Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Chatterbox

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:17 pm

:wino :wino Tatihou! Nice to "see" you :wave:

Postby Suffs » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:20 pm

Good to see you Tatihou :wino :wave:

Postby scullion » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:35 pm

gosh, long time no see, welcome back.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:55 pm

Hi Tatihou.
Of course I see you in Mustardland, but it's great to see you here too.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:59 pm

Today: that moment when you open your pack of three peppers, one green and two red, when you only only really needed a green one, but they don't sell green ones on their own any more, and find that the green pepper is rotten on the inside.

Oh well, my stirfry tasted great with red pepper anyway.

Postby Renee » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:00 am

Red is a nice colour though! 8-)

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:04 am

It just doesn't taste very green :-(

Postby Renee » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:09 am

Good luck with the green one next time! I occasionally see them on sale individually at a supermarket, but can't remember which one.

Postby mistakened » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:25 am

Sakkarin wrote:Today: that moment when you open your pack of three peppers, one green and two red, when you only only really needed a green one, but they don't sell green ones on their own any more, and find that the green pepper is rotten on the inside.
That would never be accepted in Cyprus, there are some prepacked vegetables but mostly they are sold lose. Can I make you jealous by saying that I can buy three types of green pepper, the Dutch hot house variety, the smaller thin skinned variety, the sort that get in a salad in Greece and the long ox horn variety.

Moira

Postby Renee » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:34 am

I am extremely jealous Moira! Mind you I can get the long thinner red peppers which I used yesterday to make Muhammara.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:44 pm

I can buy all those in Hackney Moira - pus little thin walled biber dolma ( peppers for stuffing) - they come in from Cyprus and Turkey, as do the big bunches of herbs, mainly Cypriot

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:01 pm

Renee wrote:I am extremely jealous Moira! Mind you I can get the long thinner red peppers which I used yesterday to make Muhammara.

When you make your own Muhammara, Renee, do you peel the peppers after roasting or grilling them or whatever you do to your fresh ones? I'm embarrassed to say that I have always avoided that process and use red peppers in a jar from Lidl when I make it :oops:

Postby Renee » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:10 pm

Yes, I do peel them KC2. I have a halogen oven which is great for grilling and I can see what is happening. Yes, it is a bit of faff come to think of it. I did once try peppers from a jar for another recipe but I didn't really like them. Maybe they would work well when making muhummara, because of the sharp flavour from the pomegranate molasses. It would certainly be much easier!

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:18 pm

We don't really have a functioning grill - it's combined with the (fan) oven and if we try to use it the amount of smoke etc that it creates just isn't tolerable. It's a shame because I remember years ago when I bought my very first gas cooker and it had an eye level grill I used to use it all the time! And even in our second gas cooker that had its grill below the gas rings and above the oven.

Peppers from a jar work ok with muhammara - it's just different.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:03 pm

Why did eye level grills go out of vogue? We moved into a house which had a gas cooker with an eye level grill and rotisserie, it was the best thing ever. I brought it here and nurtured it until it finally died (one Christmas Eve :evil: ).

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:49 pm

I think eye level grills died out partly because they don't combine well with extractor hoods?

I have a free-standing stove that has 2 oven compartments, the grill is in the much smaller, non-fan, top oven which I hardly ever use as an oven, it’s a good arrangement

Postby scullion » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:50 pm

i think they do still exist but are now incorporated with built in ovens that are often at that sort of height.. the hide/slide door one i have has a grill in the top.

Postby miss mouse » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:17 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Why did eye level grills go out of vogue?

I thought it was because too many people were tipping hot food over themselves and they were deemed dangerous.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:23 am

When we had our kitchen fitted out I had a stack of ovens and a warming tray put in. The top one is a compact oven at eye level. That is what gets used most for grilling. The grill on the main oven is used very occasionally, only when the top one is doing something else.

However. as it's paralytic or possibly pyromaniac, it has got a couple of locking pins that stick out from the door and can catch on oven gloves. I've stopped microwaving porridge in Pyrex dishes after a couple of accidents :oops: . The point you make still applies, MM :D

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:36 am

I'd forgotten extractor hoods, I suspect that was part of it. I liked the way you could watch the grill whilst attending to something on the stovetop. Of course, I think there's been a big change from gas to electric appliances too. I don't think there were electric eye level grills.

Hadn't thought about accidents, I suppose very short people or children might have had difficulty.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox