Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Renee » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:18 pm

What a lovely croissant Sakkarin!

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:07 pm

Today is Ste Barbe (Saint Barbara). This is the official start of the Provencal Christmas. I have got my wheat seeds soaking in water to sown in three saucers tonight. I will then have to keep them growing and alive until February 4th. otherwise there will be no good health and prosperity next year.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby jeral » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:51 pm

Joanbunting: Out of curiosity, where do you buy wheat seeds from? I'm thinking it must be made available in small packets specifically for Ste Barbe?
Also, aren't lucky charms and fake prophesies against biblical teachings? How do "they" square that circle?

Sakkarin, I love the "Eat me if you dare" croissant invoking a vision of the proverbial mad scientist looming over declaring "I made you so I can eat you!".
The curvature would suit lobster claws, although scorpions have cracked it by having a sting in their (croissant affixed) tail. A bird's eye chilli ought to do it ;)

Uschi, rustic macaroons are the proper ones (I say with the authority of a melting ice cube not know the etymology) as French ones are cream sandwich biscuits to me) I'm a coconut and apricots lover so could polish off a few given half a chance.

I was looking at tins of biscuits that tend to be around at Christmas but many biscuits are now in cardboard or plastic boxes and empty tins are hugely expensive. I'd have thought tins were better for the planet so odd they've been sidelined. I suppose it's marketing again to keep retail price down in preference to keeping memories of Christmas gatherings as tins used to be.

Postby Uschi » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:04 pm

Joanbunting wrote:Today is Ste Barbe (Saint Barbara). This is the official start of the Provencal Christmas. I have got my wheat seeds soaking in water to sown in three saucers tonight. I will then have to keep them growing and alive until February 4th. otherwise there will be no good health and prosperity next year.

It's St Barbara's Day here, too. The Ruhr is just around the corner and she's the patron saint of the miners.
There's an East German custom to cut cherry twigs, put them into a vase and bring them inside today. They will then flower at Christmas time. Magic1

Jeral, my less refined macaroons may not be terribly pretty, but they are popular.
I'll do the pretty biscuits last. All those sprinkles, sugar shapes, glitter and icing should not mix with the baking stuff.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:12 pm

I think the problem with tins is that the sheet metal is heavy, and it is expensive to buy, and probably even more expensive to put the enamel on

I have one nice Christmas one bough from Butlers some time ago, it was the make weight in a 3 for the price of 2 offer. The other stuff I cannot remember. I was surprised when I discovered Butlers was German, not UK, and then again when they left UK

I suppose we have to expect more of that now :(

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:40 pm

The wheat comes free from several places. You just go in with a paper bag and grab what you want. There is always a collecting box nearby for charity. . It is called le Ble d'Esperance - the wheat of hope.

It is planted in 3 saucers because the whole Provencal Christmas thing is about the trinity. Three candles and three tablecloths on the table etc etc. onn Christmas eve but 13 desserts 12 apostles + Jesus.

Please don't think i am religious at all. We are not but we adore tradition and local customs!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Uschi » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:07 am

Sue, Butlers have pretty much left Germany, too. There are only a few stores left. A great pity. I liked them. I think there is one in Düsseldorf still.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:21 am

There was a huge Butlers - possibly the flagship store? next to the hotel we sometimes used in Berlin West End, which is why I realised it was German

I liked them too - for those who never had the pleasure, it was like a classier Tiger with much more serious kitchen and dining stuff. My classic white porcelain egg cups, and matching porcelain egg spoons, came from there, for example.

Postby Uschi » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:04 am

They are also a bit quirky with the classic stuff ... they had the most wonderful assortment of Christmas ornaments. Baubles in the form of unicorns, hamburgers, suitcases, Big Bens ...

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:57 am

jeral wrote:
I was looking at tins of biscuits that tend to be around at Christmas but many biscuits are now in cardboard or plastic boxes and empty tins are hugely expensive. I'd have thought tins were better for the planet so odd they've been sidelined. I suppose it's marketing again to keep retail price down in preference to keeping memories of Christmas gatherings as tins used to be.

Hi jeral

I have seen some tins of biscuits in both Sainsburys and Asda this year, and they are beautiful. I am not sure how airtight the seals are though. We have got a tin of Sainsburys shortbread this year. I'll be opening them next weekend so I'll let you know what the seal is like.

Postby Uschi » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:12 pm

I have an assortment of former biscuit tins, sweet tins and tins bought empty for Christmas. Aldi has the letter every November and in the previous years had some beauties. A set of three (different sizes, one fitting into the other) for a couple of Euros. I have several sets of those, some "Systema" in clear plastic with locks at the sides and a few others. Some are more than 20 years old.
I don't know about airtight, but most of them are fitting tightly enough for the biscuits to stay fresh for months. I found some from last year in a small tin and they tasted fine.

Postby jeral » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:49 pm

Thanks very much for the tin info - I'll keep my eyes peeled. For myself, I have to buy tins of biscuits without butter which is a definite drawback unless I give them away and ask for the tin back ;)

It's possible some decorations might be put up tonight if I dig the steps out and a bouncy mat in case I fall off, Wheee! *boing* *boing*. Has everyone else made a start?

Postby Pampy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:38 pm

I don't do decorations or a tree (as I won't be at home) but all my presents are bought and wrapped and cards ready to post tomorrow. I feel disgustingly organised.

Postby Uschi » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:50 pm

Advent here is a big event, so my neighbours have already decked the halls. Christmas trees usually come out much closer to Christmas. I am behind in the decorations department, but I will try and dig something out tomorrow.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:54 am

As our Christmas Decorating task is a team effort, we won't be able to put ours up until this Sunday at the earliest. I am working tomorrow, although Mr Strictly isn't. We are both out seeing friends and doing our present shopping on Saturday for most of the day. I think I will be writing the cards on Sunday as well.

Jeral, I suddenly realised after writing my post (and on my way into work) that you were allergic to butter. I hope you manage to find a pretty tin somewhere near you. Do you have any garden centres near you that have a small kitchenware section? They sometimes sell empty ones although I have no idea how much they cost.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:41 pm

We wrote our cards for the UK a couple of weeks ago and they are , as I write, heading towards their destination with our friend who is returning for christmas. They will be posted from the UK with 2nd class stamps - about 25% cheaper than posting them from here and a marginally better chance of them arriving.

My wheat, sown on Tuesday has already sprouted. The tree has been bought but will not be put up until the weekend after next, in time for Pere Noel to arrive in the hameau. My creche provencal will be up at some point after that. On Christmas eve the yule log will come in and I'll put holly, ivy and other greenery including olive branches and rosemary over the mantle and elsewhere around the place.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:04 pm

That sounds lovely Joan, especially the holly, ivy, rosemary and olive branch idea. I will be laying some sprigs of bay leaves on our dresser (at it's halfway point) to dry out. It also looks very festive at the same time as being practical, and usable when the time comes.

Postby Uschi » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:28 am

Today was St Nicholas Day. In Germany the saint, looking very like father Christmas, came around last night and filled the boots of good children (any child with any sense will put boots outside the door on that night) with sweets.
Bad children get a bundle of twigs as a warning (children were beaten with such bundles).

In South Germany and the entire Alpine region Saint Nicholas is accompanied by Krampus, which is more or less a demon. Tame towards the saint, but savage towards bad children.

Up North, Father Christmas is accompanied by Knecht Ruprecht, a slightly (but only ever so slightly) more civilised figure. But he serves the same purpose as Krampus, namely to punish naughty children.

St Nicholas left me three bags full of home-made biscuits hanging from my door handle!!! :oops: Magic1 :tiptoesanta

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:44 pm

You have been a very good girl, Uschi.

I once watched a Christmas grotto sleigh ride through our local village, that was painful to behold.
Santa Claus asking children what they wanted for Christmas.
"I want an ipad" ............ "errr, it's not an ipad but here's your present little girl".
"I want a bike"
"I want a computer"
"errr, not a computer exactly, but here you are ............. "

It made me wonder why he kept asking.
When my mum and dad asked us, we used to say a book, or socks. Something without a money burden.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:34 pm

I can't remember ever being asked Gill. I grew up during the war and everyone felt lucky to get anything!

I know that most of my gifts were home meade by my very talented uncle, and when he came home, my dad - rocking horse, dolls house dolls furntiure etc or beautiful dresses made out of whatever fabric she could lay her hands on by auntie.

I still have the 5 blown glass baubles from my first Christmas in 1943. I had six and I very nearly killed the person who broke the 6th.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox