Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Renee » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:46 am

Pampy wrote:And it uses the same entrance road too, doesn't it? Will be a nightmare when the McD's opens!

Crazy, isn't it? Most likely this is why it hasn't opened yet. I could go back to shopping first thing in the morning. I'll be there today between 1pm and 2pm.

Postby Renee » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:26 am

Pampy, I've just read this:

The company said it was now aiming to reopen 1,000 of its drive-thru or delivery outlets by Thursday.

I'm glad I'm going to Waitrose today.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:46 am

We have at least 3 drive-through branches of Macdonalds yet none has opened yet and they're not on the latest list. If the queue when the drive-though Starbucks opened is anything to go by, Macdonalds would be unbelievable. They're all on key roads near roundabouts :(.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:12 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:We have at least 3 drive-through branches of Macdonalds yet none has opened yet and they're not on the latest list. If the queue when the drive-though Starbucks opened is anything to go by, Macdonalds would be unbelievable. They're all on key roads near roundabouts :(.

It’s actually not that complicated

70% alcohol will work as hand sanitiser against both bacteria and viruses - pure alcohol is less effective against bacteria, 70% is best

Household bleach - aka hypochlorite, chlorine bleach, will destroy both bacteria and viruses, use at the recommended dilution which is less strong than most people think

Ordinary detergent solution such as Washing up liquid will remove a lot of contamination by physically removing the bacteria and viruses and will actually destroy a proportion, especially if the surface is left to dry completely

The anti-bacterial sprays and wipes such as Dettol and Astonish are quaternary ammonium. This is quite effective as a detergent, kills bacteria and is effective against some viruses, including corona viruses, but it wasn’t specifically recommended for C-19 early on as untested

The thing all these have in common is that they physically damage the structure of the virus, you can’t poison a virus on a surface as it has no active metabolism to disrupt. The anti-bac works on viruses like C-19 that have a lipid (fat) outer coat that they can break down but not on those with tough protein shells

Let surface dry - not a lot survives if weakened by chemicals then left to desiccate

Postby Renee » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:45 pm

Thank you so much for that useful information, Sue, which I will print out.

Postby Pampy » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:12 pm

Renee wrote:Pampy, I've just read this:

The company said it was now aiming to reopen 1,000 of its drive-thru or delivery outlets by Thursday.

I'm glad I'm going to Waitrose today.

Did you post the link? I can't see it!

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:42 pm

Thank you Sue, that has clarified things perfectly. I think, as you say, that there is greater understanding of some of the Covid 19 attributes now than several months ago.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:02 pm

I was much relieved to get Dettol spray from the Waitrose in John Lewis’ basement, I do use bleach but as I can’t see the drips I tend to lean into them and ruin my clothes, and I as I don’t quite rely on myself to see the dirt I feel safer feeding myself and others if I use sanitiser in some places.

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:16 pm

Just this week managed to get a big refill pack of Dettol spray from Waitrose. As luck would have it, I'd made a 0.3% solution of BAC for use as a bathroom mould remover. It never got used so was still in the shed. I've been getting through it, eking out the Dettol spray we had. It gets used on shopping deliveries, door handles, keyholes, my phone, watch. Anything that has come in from outside or been touched by someone who has. I originally used dilute bleach but thought it might lead to accidents.

Postby Seatallan » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:06 pm

That's really, really useful Sue. It basically confirms what I'm already doing but it's so good to know I'm on the right lines. Thank you! :thumbsup
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:18 pm

I was at Costco yesterday. They have 3 packs of Astonish on offer and had various multipacks of hand sanitiser.

Postby Renee » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:40 pm

Sorry Pampy, I was just quoting what they were saying and no link. I should have used inverted commas.

McD's was open today. I was at Waitrose at 1pm and didn't have any problems getting into the supermarket or leaving. There was a long queue for McD's which stretched right through the adjoining car park where the Vue Cinema is, to the end. There was someone keeping an eye on the cars which were queuing and directing them to the end to join the queue.

Postby aero280 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:46 pm

MacDonalds on the by-pass here have got a temporary barrier down the centre of the road so that cars cannot turn right into McD's. They all have to join the queue from a single direction, but it a queue on a main A road. Having said that, the queue was only three cars long when I went past yesterday!!

Postby Renee » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:56 pm

Only three cars? :shock: Maybe people hadn't realised that they were open!

Postby mistakened » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:16 am

I have used McD drive through service, the take away establishments were the only places that were permitted to remain open in Cyprus. It was the only place that I could get coffee

Moira

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:16 am

Well, late last night it was suddenly announced that one of our branches will open today! I'll steer clear of that area. DD has spent the past few days involved in traffic planning for the one reopening in her area, there is a lot of behind the scenes planning with local authorities :roll:. Queues for drive-through Starbucks are still quite disruptive here after a week or so.

Postby ZeroCook » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:25 am

StokeySue wrote: 70% alcohol will work as hand sanitiser against both bacteria and viruses - pure alcohol is less effective against bacteria, 70% is best

What about 91% Isopropyl? Have been using it in small glass pump spray bottles as hand santiser. Is it better to dilute it and if so with what? Distilled water, perhaps?

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:30 am

ZeroCook wrote:What about 91% Isopropyl? Have been using it in small glass pump spray bottles as hand santiser. Is it better to dilute it and if so with what? Distilled water, perhaps?

If it was sold as sanitiser then fine - isopropyl alcohol will affect bacteria differently from ethyl alcohol but I haven’t been into it. The problem with high concentrations of ethanol is that it dries out
the bacteria so quickly some can rehydrate later, isopropyl may not do this

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:43 pm

Just testing as having trouble posting.

Postby slimpersoninside » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:27 pm

Testing again.

Yaaayy I'm back.

Thank you for your help Sakkarin.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox