Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:50 pm

Each to his own...………... 8-) but Baileys ………………………..sooooooooooooooo………………….. :vomit

Pass the whiskey/Jack Daniels.…………...straight-up..... :thumbsup :thumbsup

As you were Men……………
Order is now resumed...………….....

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:43 am

I am the same as you LL when it comes to Baileys. I can't stand the stuff :vomit. I have only ever tried the regular kind though, not the limited edition alternative flavours. However the strawberries and cream one that is Barbie pink coloured just makes me heave when I see a bottle of it for sale in the supermarket

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:30 pm

I can manage one glass t Bailey's, just to be sociable ya know.
Give me a malt whisky or a G&T any day.

Postby cherrytree » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:31 pm

I’m afraid I just adore the strawberry Baileys. Unsophisticated and all that but it takes all sorts.

Postby Amyw » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:41 pm

I’ve never tried the strawberry Baileys but although I love strawberries , I find strawberry flavoured things very synthetic . Normal Baileys though :birthday-dancer

Postby jeral » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:56 pm

A news item yesterday said that bourbon was taking off in a big way over here lately. It's donkey's years since I had any and sort of liked it but not in preference to Scotch. I wonder what it's like with cream... ;)

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:34 pm

jeral wrote: I wonder what it's like with cream...

Seriously……..?

Seriously...…………………………….?!?!

Postby jeral » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:03 pm

So I turned round and said defiantly, "Yes, I do wonder what it's like with cream." I ain't nobody's bitch, lol.

Handbags at dawn or shall we just share a pitcher of Bloody Marys instead? Actually some vodka cocktails include cream, but not sure I fancy that combo myself.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:34 pm

I like bourbon, just with ice. But I don’t much like either Jack Daniels or Southern Comfort (fashion of my youth)

Don’t like Baileys and I’m with Amy in disliking strawberry flavour, in fact recently worked out I only really like raw fresh strawberries and I don’t mind good jam, don’t really like them cooked.

Postby Pampy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:16 am

I have to admit that I like the occasional white Russian - vodka, coffee liqueur and cream. Not keen on Bailey's though.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:44 am

The only times I've had bourbon is in a mint julep, which I have found very refreshing. A Sea Breeze cocktail is rather nice as well.

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:43 am

You are all lightweights...………... :lol:

IMHO The only thing you should put with Bourbon or Scotch is more Bourbon or Scotch :thumbsup ice or water changes it completely - I detest it then & have been known to make the bar staff pour a totally fresh glass if they put ice in the glass first without asking - which they frequently do ( so American!!!) it totally changes the character of the drink.

I haven't drunk Southern Comfort for 35 plus years Sue, when I got totally rat-a**ed on it - just saying the name brings it all vividly back...... :vomit

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:20 pm

GOOD Bourbon is delicious. I was in Kentucky last year and we took a trip to the Woodford distillery. Excellent tipple.
Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Jim Bean, etc. are to Bourbon what Bacardi is to rum - the cheap and mass-produced stuff. The real thing is made by fermenting (sweet)corn, and adding water & yeast. Just like good scotch with barley. The bourbon is aged in Kentucky white oak barrels, which are burned inside to impart a slightly smoky flavour.

Baileys? I love it like I love Co-op Sweet Sherry. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:30 pm

Oh I can be very cheap Clive...……………………. :tongueout

The best Bourbon I've ever tasted was in Texas - so smooth, even tho' it was 120% proof - it's a cowboy thing - they're very proud of it.

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:19 pm

M is a great fan of high end Bourbon as well as single malt. Not for me thanks. My spirit of choice +apart from gin of course is aged Calvados and Cognac.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Binky » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:17 pm

karadekoolaid, we were in Kentucky last year also, doing the Bourbon Trail amongst other things. Our US friends made us mint juleps and I was instantly hooked. We bought the special cups - here's one below.

Funny old world, innit? Maybe we passed each other.....

Postby Alexandria » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:55 pm

Depending where I am,

I am a grand fan of Calvados, Port (both Portuguese & Sardinian), Emiliano Lustau Jerez Brandy, Cognac, a top shelf Grappa,
Galician Aguardiente Coffee Liquor, and I also enjoy Mare Gin & Tonics occasionally ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby smitch » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:20 pm

I’d love to do the bourbon trail. My husband loves bourbon and now I’ve tried a few different ones, I enjoy it too :lol:

We always bring a bottle home when we visit the US. It is getting harder to find the good stuff here and it is much cheaper over there.

Jack Daniels isn’t actually bourbon. I like some of their more expensive stuff but not keen on the standard one or the Gentleman Jack variety.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:18 am

Thought this to be of interest ..

Re: The Restaurant Jules Verne, The Eiffel Tower, Paris ..

I read an aricle regarding a change of hands, from Alain Ducasse to Frederic Anton.

There has also been an ongoing court case against Chef Anton from The Ducasse Group.

Joan: Do you have any further details regarding this matter ?

Chef Anton has intentions of creating a Gastonomic Gallerie & Market place of top notch food boutiques and gourmet products in the Eiffel Tower, and has
taken over the Restaurant.

Chef Anton is quite talented and also has a background in architecture and interior design. He is 54 years old and Chef Ducasse is 72 years old and is highly respected for
his Culinary Acadmies, other Restaurants in five star hotels in Paris, London and Asia as well. He also has a Marvel of a Boutique Hotel in Provençe in addition a thriving foie gras
de canard buisness.

The Municipal Government ( city government ) seems to be in favor of Anton´s proposal on renovating the Jules Verne and the monument space and it looks as if Ducasse lost the case.

Have a lovely day.

Regards from home sweet home, Barcelona.
Shall be headed to Sardinia on Monday.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:22 am

Re Le Jules Verne Member 461. Th story has had not much impact in France because it is happeneing in Paris! It has made a few paragraphs in some of the papers I have seen but has not really featured on TV. As is only re-opened only very recently I am waiting for the more food orientated publications to see what they say.

It is certainly true that Ducasse spends very little time indeed in any of hie restaurants being more interested in promoting his global food empire. Perhaps he's yet another one who has been seduced by celbrity and making money and forgotten his true talents.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox