Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Site Admin

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:10 pm

Neither of my favourite Bill Bryson books are funny ones :-(

Probably my favourite book ever, "A Short History of Nearly Everything" is a series of science/history lessons, each one full of awe and wonder.
I also love "Mother Tongue", the story of the English language, must dig it out and reread it.

I've also got his "Tales From a Small Island", which sits on the bookshelf alongside "The Kingdom By The Sea" in which Paul Theroux circumnavigates our coastline, and bumps into Jonathan Raban at Brighton, travelling by boat in the opposite direction (Chapter 4), and "Coasting" by Jonathan Raban, in which he bumps into Paul Theroux, travelling by train in the opposite direction (Chapter 5).

Postby dennispc » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:11 am

Back to pomegranates plus a few others, this in today's Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/j ... iest-foods

Most will be familiar though I'll give the mango one a go.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:26 am

Ha! I wonder if they got the idea from us! I've no doubt they've got researchers who trawl the internet for ideas...

I was considering Jeral's suggestion of starting a thread, but this kind of trumps it! Although a Youtube video is so much clearer than raw text to explain the actions.

I'll have a proper read of it later...

Postby jeral » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:34 pm

Actually, there was a handy tips thread started IIRC by our own remarkable Dena. That was on your earlier board version though.

I'd love a new or revived thread as although tips are easy to remember in principle, it's things like "boil for exactly n minutes" that are so hard to remember without a quick look-up source. (My zillions of Post-it notes are beginning to fade.)

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:27 pm

jeral wrote:Actually, there was a handy tips thread started IIRC by our own remarkable Dena. That was on your earlier board version though.

Yes, there surely was Jeral - I remember it well - and lovely to see our Dena's name again on the board...……she is very much missed.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:07 pm

Tesco plan to use unsold bread to make bread pudding?

As I recall, that's what bakers always used to do, I used to love a thick slab of "bakers bread pudding".

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... w-products

Anyone got a favourite recipe?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:25 pm

I remember discussing with my dad that local school kids in Islington in the 80s would buy great slabs of baker’s bread pudding when let out, he used to do that in the 30s and hadn’t realised it had come back after rationing

The bought version has always been much better than my attempts

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:39 am

Noooooooooooo……. the bought version waaaay too stodgy - has to be warm straight out of the oven...…... mmmmmmmmmm…………..haven't had any for years - must try & find the old family recipe now - probably based around a Bero recipe.

Postby dennispc » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:51 am

Petronius wrote:Back to pomegranates plus a few others, this in today's Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/j ... iest-foods

Most will be familiar though I'll give the mango one a go.

Tried mango using a glass - worked a treat.

Avocado - understandable that a chef faced with prepping a hundred avocados would find it easier to use a knife to remove a stone, but we’ve always used a spoon for both stone and flesh.

Postby Renee » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:47 am

Yes, I cut right the way right the way around lengthways with an avocado and the two halves just separate. The stone comes out easily and I use a spoon to remove the flesh.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:14 pm

But I find there is something satisfying about walloping your knife into the avocado pit!

Lush, I think you may mean Bread and BUTTER pudding, not the same as bread pudding. If I'm wrong, look forward to a recipe - my copy of BeRo hasn't got anything...

This is the recipe that I nicked the piccy from in my earlier post, I think I'll try it later, will see if Tesco has some old bread:
http://www.sarahsibley.com/traditional- ... ng-recipe/

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:20 pm

No Sakks - we weren't fans of bread 'n butter pudd - the only time I had that was school diners! You could smell the Bread pudding in the oven the minute you walked through the door after school - almost worth going back to schooldays for...….. will have a look for the recipe - it will be hand written so might take some time.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:52 pm

Lush you didn’t sample my efforts and it was usually obtained warm front Kings in the Essex Road (or a shop I’ve forgotten the name of in Portsmouth)

I like bread and butter pudding, made properly, i.e. made simply and not reinvented by a chef, the only real improvement imo is to use some cream rather than all milk. Jam and marmalade are especial hates in bread and butter pud.

Postby Renee » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:54 pm

I have never had Bread Pudding, although I have heard of it. Now Bread & Butter Pudding is an absolute delight and I love the lighter version made with whole milk. I loved the crispy buttery top to which I had added sugar. Home made and straight out of the oven is the only way to go!

Postby Amyw » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:28 pm

God I love both :limbobanana . Never tried bread pudding until our local bakers was handing out free samples a couple of years ago. Theirs is lovely, stodgy without being brick like , real rib sticking treat.

Bread and butter pudding is in my top three favourite desserts(along with trifle and crumble). I love the traditional version, but made one once with panettone near xmas time once, which was very nice. I think it's a lovely pudding to make from scraps , but doesn't feel like a thrifty, make do pudding

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:07 pm

Just had a look at the recipe you linked to Sakks nice & simple as bread pud should be - but there is absolutely no need to make breadcrumbs & I can't see the point, or heating the milk etc. I do remember the leftover bread ( mostly home baked) was simply torn up & soaked in either milk - full fat - or water, which was then squeezed out by hand & mixed with the fruit - suet was then added - not butter - but I will have a bash at finding the recipe which I know is in a box somewhere when I've got a minute.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:23 pm

I adore both. Bread pudding was a huge favourite in the Bahamas - it contained rum, lots of rum. Also suet or fat and dried fruit and spices. I've got a recipe which I trot out every winter when M get a yearning :lol: Not likely to be recommended by Slimming World = but who cares!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Renee » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:24 pm

Amy I've also used Panettone and chocolate croissants!

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:48 pm

Joanbunting wrote:Bread pudding was a huge favourite in the Bahamas - it contained rum, lots of rum

Now there's a thought - raisins/currants/sultanas soaked in rum :yum

Not going with the nostalgic austerity vibe tho'...………... :?

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:18 pm

Joan,

Interestingly, a Christmas holiday Bread Pudding prepared with Cuban Rum, is quite a popular treat in Cuba.

The ingredients are similar to those mentioned in your post.

The Caribbean Islands surely have passed on their recipes to the other islands and each has
its own " renovations " on the original based on available ingredients.

Have a lovely summer.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox