Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Chatterbox

Postby Jrc123 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:45 am

Hi all Jeral I had exactly the same problem. We had the Dyson and the hand end was so heavy to push plus keeping the button on made it nigh on impossible for me to use. I have arthritis in both hips, lower back and hands. The thought process was to use it for small jobs like cleaning up under the bird cage and giving the floor a quick freshen up. We also found it only gave us about 20 minutes charge.

We also had a big plug in beast to use weekly to give the carpets a good clean but I also found that really heavy and the ahem ‘suck’ was so strong it stuck to the carpet.

In the end we sold both and bought ourselves a Shark with the lift off thingy. It has been absolutely brilliant for ease of use. It is very sad when I actually get excited about using it. :lol:

Postby Renee » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:08 am

:lol: That really made me laugh Jrc2! I was trying to think if I have anything that makes me excited. Just my expandable window cleaner which has both the microfiber part and the squeegee at the end of the stick! I live in a bungalow, so clean my own windows.

Postby Jrc123 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:20 am

We could start a thread of which home appliances get us excited but would probably get ourselves banned. :oops: :lol:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:40 am

Jrc123 wrote:Hi all Jeral I had exactly the same problem. We had the Dyson and the hand end was so heavy to push plus keeping the button on made it nigh on impossible for me to use. I have arthritis in both hips, lower back and hands. The thought process was to use it for small jobs like cleaning up under the bird cage and giving the floor a quick freshen up. We also found it only gave us about 20 minutes charge.

We also had a big plug in beast to use weekly to give the carpets a good clean but I also found that really heavy and the ahem ‘suck’ was so strong it stuck to the carpet.

In the end we sold both and bought ourselves a Shark with the lift off thingy. It has been absolutely brilliant for ease of use. It is very sad when I actually get excited about using it. :lol:

Glad to read this and Jeral's post as I am trying to decide whether to invest in a cordless vac for a while now.. I knew I didn't want one too heavy. The Shark is heavily recommended on my local FB group :thumbsup Just can't wait for the time I will get excited about vacuuming ;) :roll: :oops:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:42 am

Jrc123 wrote:We could start a thread of which home appliances get us excited but would probably get ourselves banned. :oops: :lol:

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby ChinchillaLady » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:42 pm

Jrc123 wrote:We could start a thread of which home appliances get us excited but would probably get ourselves banned. :oops: :lol:

Been there, done that in a previous life IIRC :oops: :oops:

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:55 pm

I don’t have any carpets, so the Dyson V6 animal I’ve had for years is used daily to keep things under control

If I’m doing a big clean up I get out my ancient Miele cylinder cleaner but I use the Dyson to get into corners or with the upholstery brush so I don’t have to keep changing the brushes on the Miele

I don’t find the Dyson too heavy or awkward to use despite my mildly damaged right hand, but if I were buying now I’d definitely look at Shark, a group of gay men I know were getting g very excited about them (don’t worry, buying for their mothers as well as themselves)

Postby Pampy » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:08 pm

My sister has just bought a Shark and is very impressed.

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:30 pm

I can see I'm going to have to google what a Shark is! I have absolutely no idea. We use an ancient Henry we bought when we moved into our last house some time in the mid-90s.

Postby jeral » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:35 pm

I won't look forward to vacuuming now even though it's good to see things cleaner. Agree the battery life is rubbish but that's fine by me as I've had enough even before it runs out. The lighter ones like Shark have less suction and I was dubious they would cope with embedded moths or I'd have gone for that or replace my AirRam which was fine till moths arrived.

To live with the weight of mine, I've also ordered a flexible hose (cheaper compatible one) so that together with the on/off lock should mean I can set the heavy bit on a stool and just hold the hose for all except the main floor which is just steering. Bet you won't see carry stools in a promo video :lol:

Gadgets we like? Maybe that should be a thread heading in Other Stuff for non-food as well as the food gadgets thread. I'm sure we'd all learn from it :) Good thinking Batman (Jrc123) ChinchillaLady, was that before Other Stuff arrived?

Some reviews from ordinary people still reckon a Henry is the best for muck removal.

Postby smitch » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:52 pm

We've got a cordless Shark with two batteries and love it. The rats chuck loads of stuff out their cage so it is really handy to clean up after them. Since we bought it, our 'proper' vacuum cleaner hasn't left the cupboard.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:27 pm

I had to google 'shark' too. I make do with a mini GTech for everyday and a horrible model of Dyson, possibly the last before they introduced cordless, for a good clean once in a while. I've used Dyson stick ones and like them but would certainly look for Shark if I had to buy another. I had my mother's old Henry for years, then a couple of other makes that didn't last long. I wish the Dyson would die but it's going to go on forever :evil:.

Postby Pampy » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:33 pm

I have a Miele cylinder vac which is brilliant but about 5 years ago, I bought a robot vacuum cleaner (iRobot) and I now rarely use the Miele. I've also got an iRobot floor scrubber for my tiled floors.

Postby Suffs » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:40 pm

When we came here we bought a top of the range Dyson, not cordless but otherwise all singing and all dancing ... we have hard floors downstairs and carpets upstairs ... coupled with wooden venetian-style blinds that need vacuuming from time to time. I have never before been reduced to tears by a vacuum cleaner but the Dyson did it ... I hated it ... bdooly thing ... I gave it to my SSIL 'cos he's in charge of the vacuuming at his and DD's home and he's a really techie type ... even he found it the most frustrating thing he'd ever used ... I think it ended up in a charity shop. They've got a Henry now and we have an ordinary Panasonic upright

Powerful 1900 W vacuum cleaner offering convenience and performance
    Edge-to-edge cleaning
    Light in weight enabling easy transport around the home
    Automatic adjustable floorhead
    4.5 Litre dust capacity

Love it ... cost £69.99 ... it works ... the dust bags and filters are easily obtainable and cheap as chips and the attachments are all fitted onto the body so you don't have to carry them around separately. Never ever again will I buy anything with the Dyson name on it. All style and no substance. Flippin' charlatan. :evil:
Last edited by Suffs on Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Seatallan » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:46 pm

Goodness, we have a Dyson and it is the Hoover From Heaven! Best vacuum cleaner I've ever had. I suppose it all depends on the model.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Busybee » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:55 pm

I first got a dyson when my son was new born, so that’s 24 years ago, I’m now on my second.

When we bought this house five years ago I looked to get one for here but the newer models seemed very heavy in comparison. We also have a lot (three flights) of steep Victorian stairs so opted for the cordless stick version. It’s great for here, but my mum couldn’t manage it as she used the upright vacuum to help steady herself when she was cleaning - a factor to consider which hadn’t really entered my thought processes. We have the original (second one) in the garage for doing the car interiors, so still serviceable.

Whilst I like the vacuums I couldn’t justify the price on some other products, the fan and hairdryer spring to mind.

BB

Postby Seatallan » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:03 pm

Actually, I will say that my parents had a Dyson that was rather over-engineered so I can see where Suffs is coming from. It had too many bits & gadgets by a considerable margin, and whenever I used it I'd end up with bits left over (like self-assembly furniture).
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby dennispc » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:56 pm

We solved the problem of which vacuums - now have cleaners, who bring their own Henry. :D

In recent weeks I’ve just been lurking, back then OH was ambulanced to A&E late one night and kept in for five days, with what turned out to be gallstones. She was called in to see the consultant a week ago; because of scar tissue from previous operations, the normal removal process carries more risk. She decided to do nothing at the moment, but follow a low fat diet and hope to see a dietician or advice from GP. She’s fine now and back to full cooking mode as well as producing some lovely salads. Phone consultation with GP next Monday for advice and to arrange a Dietician.

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:03 pm

We had a Dyson when they first came out & a good li'l sucker it was too - but I hated emptying it being bagless & watching all the detritus spinning around, then when that bit the dust ( :D ) I looked at replacing it with another, but the models were smaller & not so powerful - so now have had a for quite a few years a Miele cat & dog cylinder that lives upstairs & an Edward ( Henry's bigger brother ) for downstairs - both brilliant!
I did flirt with an upright anti-allergen for a while - good idea but useless.

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:06 pm

Oh Dennis :newhuggy your poor Dear Lady & poor you too _ such a worry and after all you have both gone through - all my best to you both!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox