Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Site Admin

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:20 pm

Happy birthday Joan, that sounds like a really special treat!

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:50 pm

Thanks Sakkers. My birthday is actually in August but the package was my present from M to be taken when summer madness died down.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:58 pm

jeral wrote:Belated Happy Birthday from me also :)

The Anne-Sophie venue looks a real treat and the food delicious. Then again, there are a lot of chefs in the photo so I imagine huge attention is paid to all the details. Is it "next door" such that you could easily get there again (like once a week, lol), or a long journey?

It is in Valence which is an hour / hour and a half up the motorway but we prefer to use the country road through wine growing areas around Gigondas, etc. It took us about 4 hours with several stops. On the Wednesday we went across the river to some of our favourite vinyards St Peray, Condrieu, Cornas and St Joseph and bought far too much wine!!

Maison Pic is not the sort of place one would visit every week, no matter how much I would like to!!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Binky » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:35 pm

joan, belated happy birthday greetings.

Your post about Maison Pic whetted my appetite and I have discovered that there is a branch in London, Madame Pic. Birthdays and anniversaries beckon!

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:45 am

I'm sure you would enjoy it Binky. A few people don't seem to appreciate her style but I admire it very much. Thinking about it quite a lot of folks don't like Heston Blummental's style -including me!

I've got the set of 3 of hrt books on my list for Santa.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:06 pm

Ha!
That's answered my question Joan. Thank you kindly.

Postby Uschi » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:55 pm

Aldi's brought out their Christmas baking ingredients for this year and I availed myself of 96 Euros worth of ground or chopped hazelnuts and almonds, marzipan, dessiccated coconut, whole and chopped pistachios, lemon and orange zests, orange peel, icing sugar, nougat and chocolate drops as well as couverture. Must check Lidl's for gingerbread spices, since Aldi don't have them.

It's not just for Christmas, I use the nuts and almonds all year round in cakes and they are nowhere as cheap as at Aldi's (but great quality!!!).

Butter was jolly dear this year, so I pounced upon every bargain price I found and have about 2.5 kg in the freezer. That leaves sugar and flour and some more jams and I can start baking ... in about three weeks or so.

Postby Renee » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:08 pm

It's that time of year again for you Uschi and your home will smell wonderful very soon!

We shall be having a new Lidl in a few months time, but in the meantime I sometimes shop in Aldi. Which one do you prefer. Is there much difference between the two?

Postby Uschi » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:32 pm

I prefer Aldi. They treat their employees a bit better and on the whole I find they have the better range of good. Lidl will have some Christmas baking stuff, too, but not as much as Aldi's.
Mind you, they sometimes have the better fruit and veg.

Postby Renee » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:46 pm

That's interesting Uschi, so thanks for the information. I love the small chocolate covered marzipan logs in Aldi and usually treat myself to one or two at this time of the year.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:13 am

I used to buy those mini chocolate covered marzipan logs from Lidl at crimbo - absolutely loved them - but find them much to sweet for me now. Lidl still do a cracking panettone.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:39 am

Uschi, I'd love to see your baking when you start up the production.
Would you make a new thread of it for us please. So we can admire your work here.

Postby Suffs » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:32 am

Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without watching the progress of Uschi's wonderful baking :chrissytree1

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:34 pm

Hi Uschi

I totally agree with Suffs and Gill with regards to your wonderful festive baking. I cannot wait to see the photos of this year's batches.

Postby Uschi » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:53 pm

Thank you ladies.

I will try and snap as and when I have finished a few batches.
I am planning on freezing a few doughs to save time in November.

Oh, and I purchased a new mechanical meat grinder with a biscuit attachment (fixed hole plates in the form of a star and so on).

You make a Spritz biscuit dough, crank it through the grinder and cut the resulting strand and ribbons into the right length. The star shape makes a strand that can be shaped into "O"s and "S"s.
It saves time and makes very nice biscuits.

My old grinder died on me last year.

Postby Renee » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:59 pm

You will enjoy using that Uschi and as you say, it will save time.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:54 am

Fun. You'll enjoy playing with that, Uschi.

Postby Suffs » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:03 am

It appears that we will be hosting Cmas! :shock: I need to make some space in our little freezer!!! :lol:

Postby Uschi » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:48 pm

Suffs, it might be an idea to get a spare one from the small adds if there is room (and the right temperature) in the garage.

Some things can be made ahead without freezing them.
We had pears stewed in red wine to go with the boar goulash last Christmas (but they are also great as a dessert) and they can be made and kept in a jar for a few weeks. They get even better, because the colour of the red wine seeps into them even more. I am looking for the right sort of small, ripe pears at the moment.

Renée, meat grinder Spritz biscuits have been a staple of the Severin family Christmas production for as long as I can think.

Postby Renee » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:59 pm

You're carrying on the tradition well Uschi! Mama would be proud of you.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox