Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Suffs » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:38 am

Hi Gil ... I looked at the silicone pastry mats 'cos mine is on it's last legs (I really must stop cutting pastry with freshly sharpened knives :oops: ) but the new ones seem flimsier than the original ones. I ended up with just some cling wrap ... then I went to the market and bought two plump bulbs of fennel, two gorgeous pork chops, some shin of beef and a green gammon hock ... that'll keep the wolf from the door for a few days.

We're all organised a bit early here today as we're expecting someone to fit the smart meter :roll: between 8 and 1 .... but it looks as if I could've taken a bit longer with my ablutions ...........

Postby dennispc » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:54 am

New Avatar Gill, I'm assuming it's one of your paintings, can you post a larger version, please.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:04 am

I had a haircut yesterday too
All nice and short for my holiday

Must get on with all the boring stuff today. And order some euros

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:07 am

You do know he's coming at 12:58 don't you, Suffs.

Sure thing Dennis. I'm making a series of cotswold landscapes - then I'll do some still lifes.

Going somewhere wonderful Sue?

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:45 am

Here we go.
It's a cotswold landscape. Large = 100 x 100cms. Bigger with the box frame around it.

Postby Suffs » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:47 am

Gillthepainter wrote:You do know he's coming at 12:58 don't you, Suffs.

...?

Very likely Gill ... you keep the morning free but it actually takes the whole day ...

Love the palette in that Gill :thumbsup

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:49 am

I like that Gill !

Suffs I hope the smart-meter man arrives before tea time. When I was waiting in for the man who came to "do" DD's next door he arrived an hour before the allotted time and was most put out when I wouln't climb down 2 flights of stairs to let him in.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:56 am

Oooo ta!

I cannot bear having work people in. There's only Tony and I here, and more gets me uncomfortable.
I had to send someone away, Joan.
He was to come in the afternoon - whilst we were on the ferry to the Isle of Wight eating our sandwiches and tangerines.
But came in the morning, ladder at the door to do the fuse box. He would have been bang in the way, coupled with grumpy clients!

He was happy to come back later.

Postby Suffs » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:06 pm

Our chap (or chap-ess) doesn't need to come into the house ... OH has moved stuff in the garage (large paintings in crates, bikes, lawnmower etc) out of the way so we'll just open up the garage door, give him/her a cup of coffee and leave them to get on with it.

Postby Suffs » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:19 pm

Hurrumph! I've checked the paperwork ... the meter person should've been here by 12 noon ... should also have texted or phoned ... not a dicky bird. If they turn up now it'll be inconvenient ... they will have to rearrange ... I have some cooking to do and we also need power in the studio this afternoon. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Postby Suffs » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:29 pm

Well, he or she didn't turn up.

I've telephoned them ('they' being the company sub-contracted by our power and gas supplier to fit the meter).

Apparently our appointment was cancelled by our supplier with no explanation ... 'they' are going to investigate and ring me back on Monday.

I am not best pleased ...

I've a feeling I'm entitled to compensation ... a Wildie got £30 when a similar thing happened to her ... :wino

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:33 pm

They turned up to do ours - not DD's next door unanounced and the day after we had had an 8 hour power cut. I had just put a cake in the oven and I told him in no uncertain terms where to put his smart meter. Hell hath no fury like a woman with the possibility of a ruined cake!!
He duly retreated,
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby dennispc » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:31 pm

Suffolk, one of our family’s had something similar. They asked for compensation and got it without a quibble.

Thanks Gill, like it and so envious of you having space for large canvases.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:30 am

My limit, Dennis, is 120 x 120 to get in the back of the car to transport.

We got £10 years ago, when British Gas didn't turn up.
There is a failed appointment penalty for sure.

Theatre tonight, we are going to see Dracula. :mrgreen:
Which makes tea a bit awkward. Do we eat before going out, but I don't like to be folded into theatre seats with food in me, or wait till we are home at 22:30 and have something light.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:48 am

Theatre tonight, we are going to see Dracula.
Which makes tea a bit awkward

You could have something light before, and prep some nibbles to take with a nightcap upon your return.

Perhaps something based on black pudding or blood oranges would be appropriate. If you have garlic bread or hot cross buns you'll be safe, but the lead actor might not show up...

Postby Renee » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:50 am

Something light before you go Gill? I love the colours of your painting!

My boiler had its annual service through EDF yesterday and a very nice man turned up after phoning me to let me know what time he was calling and again to let me know that he was on his way. He explained lots of things and seemed to do far more than other gas engineers had done previously. He also does private work, so my gas fire had a service too and a thorough clean including the glass front and arranging the "coals" very neatly. He charged only £30 for the service, because he was already here. It would normally have been £50. I am very happy!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:57 am

ha ha ha.
Good thinking Badgers. I'll get my shopping list sorted and work out a plan.

That was very kind of the chap, Renee.
And a weight off your mind, having your gas stuff inspected and duly cleaned.
I occasionally have to turn a red valve on our boiler at the pipes. Which equalizes the pressure. Sounds complicated, but I just have to watch the gauge and make sure the needle spins back to "10 o'clock".
Otherwise our water is luke warm.

Postby Renee » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:08 am

Oh no! :shock: I'm glad that I don't have to do that Gill!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:03 am

It's one of those quirks that you live with, without realizing Renee.
I had a cooker that didn't close properly, and when on a quick grill setting, I used to pose on one foot chopping, and use the other foot to ram the door closed.

Until a guest mentioned this was most odd behaviour. So we sorted it.

Postby dennispc » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:24 pm

Still use a stick to keep our oven door tightly closed.

Had a reminder today of the Meat Loaf song, 'Two out of three ain't bad'.

Over the weekend, made a batch of tomato soup, finished off some Crème de cassis that was supposed to be ready for last Christmas, now ready for this. Someone gave me some cooking apples and we had a couple of dessert ones in the fruit bowl. Cored, peeled and sliced. Minimum water, some sugar, sultanas and three cloves - then the phone went. Swimming daughter phoning. Nice chat - as soon as I walked back into the kitchen I knew - there's no disguising the smell of burnt! Fortunately, not quite dry but inedible. :crying1

Two out of three ain't bad. :klingonbanana

I did manage scrambled eggs and bacon on toast later for OH - so three out of four is better. :clap

I'll face cleaning the saucepan in the morning.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox