Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby jeral » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:13 pm

Uschi, positive thoughts here too for you both and hoping you can go back to enjoying time together with worrying relegated to a seat right at the very back of the auditorium.

Those deeply rich coloured glass bowls are great, the more so with light shining on or through them, e.g. spot or fairy lights as well as candles, so money well spent.

Postby Uschi » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:01 pm

Thanks everybody!

Jeral, that's what I thought. The best thing is that they are in no way seasonal and I can use them whether it is spring or winter. Even for Halloween!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:13 am

I keep thinking "I must get this one for Isylta", but there's no point

I was very sorry to hear about that, Uschi.

Postby Uschi » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:27 am

It was a shock. We mailed almost daily and I keep thinking of things to tell her and things to get for her parcels.
She loved baubles and dressed several Christmas trees in her house to perfection.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:37 am

Fond memories indeed, Uschi.
Especially on the run up to Christmas. I shall make an extra effort this year to decorate the tree even better.

Postby dennispc » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:44 am

You may remember one of our daughters was ready to do a relay swim of the Channel last week. The hurricanes put paid to that and now this week is perfect. :roll: But naturally, the swimmers and teams that booked for this week take priority. Her team have to wait patiently to see if there's a slot available this weekend. :crossed

I needed to go to Bristol RI Sunday morning - Devon daughter came over to Nanna sit bringing with her a rib of beef so that by the time we got back, she'd produced a traditional Sunday lunch with Yorkshire pudding followed by a rich rice pudding. (ssh, not as good as mine, but don't tell her will you? ;) ) Hubby came for lunch as she plated two meals for grandsons to have later.

Nice. :thumbsup

Postby jeral » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:47 pm

Fingers crossed for good weather for swimming. Might just be lucky.

That Sunday lunch sounds fab, as rib beef tends to be, and all the multitasking that goes with it. Hope you remembered to assure your Daughter that you don't love her only for her excellent grub :mrgreen:
---

Appropos of nothing, "my" annual ladybird arrived yesterday on its favourite windowpane (in the sun) yesterday. I was beginning to think I was Billy-no-mates this year, since it or ANO has arrived in that spot, briefly, for about five years now.

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:55 pm

You're obviously a ladybird magnet Jeral :)
How many spots did it have.....?

Postby jeral » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:37 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:You're obviously a ladybird magnet Jeral :)
How many spots did it have.....?

Dunno as it's in silhouette on the window. Would throwing a six be good? Or a two or four, for that matter?

I was thinking goody gum drops that there have been a fair few cabbage white butterflies around this year, given everything is disappearing :( But then I read that unusual winter conditions had caused an usual proliferation of them, so black cloud with temporary silver lining?

Postby Uschi » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:02 pm

The rest usually try to break down my windows. In my first year I had to use a soft brush and a little dustpan several times a day during October to get rid of them (I don't mind them per se, but I hated the thought of them getting squished whenever I opened the window).

Postby dennispc » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:10 pm

Uncross your fingers, the swim's back on. Just had text from daughter, who had started a journey to the West Country to see us, rapid turn around of plans for all involved.

Gill, they're on Sea Leopard - currently just off the coast of France, so hope he has a powerful engine to get back by 2am - their planned start!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:29 am

Good morning, Dennis.
I can see the live tracking: https://www.channelswimmingassociation.com/tracking

Fantastic news for the team. You must be feeling so proud at the moment.

Tony's Lake 32 team were on a boat called art something.
They are quite high up in position, not being pushed down low, I wonder if the wind and sea tide are favourable for them at the moment, fingers crossed.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:33 am

This all makes my 7hr/ 20mile walk round the west of the isle of wight to Yarmouth seem pathetic.
Even with 6 plasters all over my feet!

Postby dennispc » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:30 am

Yes, so happy for them all. At least they didn’t have much time to get nervous. Four other teams appear to be on similar track, tides turned I think.

Gill, seven miles walk, that’s pretty good in my book as terrain isn’t consistent. Whereas relay only swim for an hour then rest for a few more. ;)

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:46 am

The book said 5hrs.
So we had a grumble about that. As we are quick walkers too, we usually have the opposite result, that we have quicker walks than the books say.

Super coastlines on the iow. I'll load some pics in a short while.

Swimmers swim faster than we can walk. Tony swam 10k in 2hrs30. I think it would take 3hrs by foot.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:57 am

Walking towards Alum Bay, & Tony's carrying the back pack which is usually my job.

Postby dennispc » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:34 am

A few years ago we had a lovely week in IoW. Enjoyed it, especially crab, lobster, did go to the Garlic Farm but a bit too touristy for us. Lovely scenery, walked a bit of the path in your photo.

Sea temperature 17C, that's warmer than lakes and rivers they've swam recently and five degrees higher than the air temperature. All helps.

All is calm here as we await our helpers. :D

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:33 pm

I keep hearing about the IoW this week! Had a lovely long weekend there with a group including one of the people I was with yesterday; the other is going next weekend

Coming from near Portsmouth I’ve been many times, we used to do day trips first by ferry and then by hovercraft. I hate hovercraft (it’s the vibration) but it only took about 5 minutes.

Good luck to all the swimmers

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:44 pm

I have only been to the IoW for a couple of days trips. Mr Strictly has never been. Some good friends of ours live in Fareham so go to the IoW on a regular basis. This year they stayed over there for a week and loved it. This has now prompted us to do the same next year. I have always wanted to visit Osborne House but have never been so that will be a must-do.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:47 pm

the hovercraft is the first boat to suffer if there are difficult conditions, and they need to cancel the ferries across. Then the catamarans, then the ferries.
A local told us that the iow stretch of water is the most expensive to cross in the world. It's not at all cheap any more, although we managed a 25% discount.

I've always liked Portsmouth.

We spent a day at Osborne House one visit. There is so much there to see.
The only reason we left was a developing headache - it's a bit of a mausoleum, and gets to you a bit after a long while.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox