Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Chatterbox

Postby Busybee » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:20 pm

Dennis I do hope that your OH gets a quick referral to a dietitian and can manage the condition via her diet.

:newhuggy :crossed

BB

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:28 pm

Oh Dennis, I hope the stones sort themselves out, best wishes to you both :newhuggy

I find the transparent dirt collector on the Dyson V6 (which is a cordless stick cleaner) exerts a strange fascination - because it's clear and about the size of a half pint beer mug, I tend to make a forensic examination of what it has picked up. I'm astonished how much fluff it finds, given I've had no furry pets for a long time, I have no carpets - where does it all come from? :?

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:50 pm

Those blasted dust gremlins..... :cry:

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:09 pm

EM, I'm glad it wasn't just me who had to google the Shark - but having seen how much they cost I think we'll stick with our Henry :lol:

Dennis, I do hope your OH feels better soon. :newhuggy

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:22 pm

Another Miele lover. We have the Cat n Dog - one on the ground floor and one in the loft extension. I too hated the only Dyson we ever had.

We use the Eufy Robot as well.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:27 pm

Dennis, I hope that your OH has been able to alleviate too much pain. How nasty. A relative had a similar thing and had to go on a virtually no fat diet before eventually having an op. It wasn't much of a hardship as the pain returned when she ate anything containing fat and wasn't worth it. It sounds really unpleasant. :newhuggy

Yes KC2. Henrys are very good indeed. I do enjoy using cordless vacuums at other people's houses though (not that I make a habit of vacuuming when I go visiting!). Friends of DS who have a large house, have got through 3 of those Dyson stick vacuums so far. They are not cheap either.

Finally got my 100 mile certificate today for my Lands End/John O'Groats virtual walk. It's taken far too long what with hot weather and calf injury. I must get a move on now, Bristol area is next stop!

Postby jeral » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:19 pm

I was thinking about you Dennis yesterday wondering if anyone had heard from you. I'm sorry to hear the reason you've had bigger things on your plate and do hope that your Missus gets proper attention, timely.

Earthmaiden, do you "earn" motorised boots on a virtual 100 mile trip? Sounds like congrats are in order for completing it :clap

Just a quick update. The Dyson trigger lock gadget arrived, fits and works. The push through on/off bit (plastic through plastic, using finger or thumb) was too stiff so a quick silicone spray and polish sorted it. The lookalike flexible hose (a few £ cheaper than Dyson's) fits and works too.

Postby smitch » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:33 pm

Hope your OH feels better soon, Dennis. I had my gallbladder removed a couple of years ago. The pain in the run up to surgery was not pleasant.

Postby Rainbow » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:35 am

Sorry to hear about your OH Dennis. Hope she is feeling much better.

Pepper Pig wrote:Another Miele lover. We have the Cat n Dog - one on the ground floor and one in the loft extension. I too hated the only Dyson we ever had.

And another Miele lover here - not sure which model but it's a few years old now. When I wanted a small, cordless vacuum I tried a Dyson and found it much to heavy/awkward to hold. Got a little cordless Electrolux and have been very happy with it.
Definitely don't get excited about vacuuming!!

Postby Suffs » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:59 am

Good morning ... sorry your OH has been so poorly ... a friend is due to have his gallbladder out in December having had awful awful attacks of pain over recent years ... his was diagnosed as a thousand other things before they eventually decided to take it out ... and he was rushed to hospital with Blues and Twos several times. Horrid. I do hope the diet sorts things out for Mrs Dennis. :crossed

Postby aero280 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:24 am

If you have had gall stones for a long time, get a scan. They diagnosed gall stones for me and removed my gall bladder by keyhole surgery. Doing this, they missed the additional stones that were stacked up in my liver. I had to go back in three weeks later and have them removed...

Postby Seatallan » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:14 pm

Ouch Dennis! Hope she feels better soon. One of my best friends had her gall bladder removed some years ago, following a gall stone flare-up one Christmas. Bless her, she was so convinced it was just overindulgence that she left it for hours before things deteriorated to the point where she had to be admitted to hospital (by which time she was in agony). They gave her the gall stones after the op as a souvenir- I think she may still have them....
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Renee » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:49 am

Dennis I'm so sorry to hear about your OH and do hope that all goes well with the diet.

I have a Sebo upright vacuum cleaner and I'm very happy with it, not that I enjoy using it really! :lol:

Postby dennispc » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:23 pm

Thank you for all your kind words, OH is certainly better in herself, garden centre for coffee this morning, which is normal. Yesterday morning we had coffee at BiL’s to admire the summer house he built; it is impressive. In the afternoon she was invited to join friends for tea and a garden chat, who she hasn’t seen since last year, whilst I chatted with hubby, who I hadn’t seen January. Seemed quite normal.

Chicken and Rice last night, left out the bacon, veg stock from fresh ingredients and got it tasty by adding a couple of spoons of crab apple jelly lurking at the back of the cupboard. All’s well.

Postby Pampy » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:58 pm

I've never used one but have heard that Sebo are supposed to be one of the best vacuum cleaners you can get.
Dennis - hope your OH carries on feeling ok. I had my gall bladder removed about 10 years ago and everything went fine - but I didn't have the complications that Mrs Dennis has (the scar tissue). :crossed the diet does the trick.

Postby Renee » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:25 pm

Yes, Sebo was the No1 a few years ago Pampy, but things have changed since then. It still has a rating of 92 though.

https://best-vacuums.co.uk/

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:56 pm

Good news that you and your OH are getting out and about Dennis, it sounds as though you are doing well with making the diet adjustments interesting.

Postby dennispc » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:58 pm

Thanks again for various comments, it does help. OH had a telephone appointment with our GP this morning who agreed to issue a prescription for a stronger pain killer if it happens again. If there’s a fever next time, it’s straight to hospital. GP knows us well, happy with what we're doing, advised caution on low fat products - can be high salt and/or high sugar. And take care with fruits as some are high in sugar. OH needs to keep her weight down. Has requested an appointment with a dietician but don’t know when that will happen. In the meantime our chiropodist recommended a private dietician and OH has just finished a 30minute telephone call with her and feels happy about it all.

Postby Jrc123 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:34 pm

I, I have a heart condition but nobody in the medical team advised I was not to go near grapefruit. It does pay to do your own research. :newhuggy

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:51 pm

Jrc123 wrote:I, I have a heart condition but nobody in the medical team advised I was not to go near grapefruit. It does pay to do your own research. :newhuggy

You only need to avoid grapefruit (and one or two other things) if you are on certain drugs, and it should be clearly indicated in the Patient Information Leaflet that comes with the tablets

These days you are possible more likely to that informaiton form the dispensing pharmacist than the medic, they are considered the experts on drug interaction and side effects

Here's a pretty comprehensive list
https://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high ... medication

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox