Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Chatterbox

Postby aero280 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:10 am

I’ve been all the way around in the paternoster. It was quite noisy in the enclosed space at each end, if I remember.

We used to tell new arrivals that the lift cabin turned over at the ends, so they must get out before then, or they would reappear upside down!! :)

The Sheffield one was in the Arts Tower. We were engineers and were based down the road, but we had occasion to visit from time to time. There were often queues at busy times on the ground floor. The engineers solved the problem by walking up a floor and getting the “down” lift, going round the bottom and already occupying the lift cabin when it reappeared at the ground floor. :)

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:21 am

Seems that the lift provided a lot of entertainment one way and another aero :lol:.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:26 am

slimpersoninside wrote:Paternoster lifts must have been a feature of universities, the only other one I've come across was in the LSE.

Anyone gone over the top or under the bottom? :o .

Yes, there was one at Imperial College round the corner from the Royal College of Music when I was there in the 70s and allegedly, stressed students used to try to use it to take their own lives ... I don't know if that was true or not!
I went on it once out of curiosity, I recall.

On re-reading, edited to add a comma after allegedly :D
Last edited by KeenCook2 on Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby scullion » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:36 am

i'd never come across them until now. they sound like a circular version of a man engine.

Postby aero280 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:47 pm

Yes, pretty much.

Postby janetmw » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:14 pm

As an alumna of Sheffield University (73-76), I too have ridden the Paternoster lift round the bottom and the top. As a maths student I didn't go to the Arts Tower very often but it was always fun finding an excuse to visit!
Janet

Postby chihuahua8 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:38 pm

The first Paternoster I came across was right at the end of the '60s, at Northwick Park Hospital. It was looked on with great suspicion by some of the older members of staff. Was popular with some of the men as that was the age of the mini-skirt!
JeanT

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:29 pm

Sadly the paternoster at Northwick Park had gone by my day

The only one I remember was in a department store in Zurich, we encountered it on a school skiing trip. We were fascinated and terrified in equal measure

I’m sure I read a murder mystery that involved a paternoster lift, ring any bells?

Postby Seatallan » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:34 pm

I'd never heard of them either. They look seriously good fun! What a pity there are so few left.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby smitch » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:39 pm

I'd never heard of them until I started working at the University of Sheffield.

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:23 pm

I had to look up 'paternoster' too.....!!

Not for me - I am seriously suspicious of any form of lift as it is.......

Postby Uschi » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:00 pm

Come to Wuppertal, find "Rathaus Barmen" during work hours, go up the front stairs, walk through the entrance, up half a flight of steps and turn right.
Once you have had enough, go back down the stairs and leave the building, go right under the arches and then look towards the right where you will find a former Art Nouveau Swimming pool that has been turned into a Micro-Brewery-cum-pub called "Brauhaus". Good beer and decent food for the intrepid traveller.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:13 am

chihuahua8 wrote:The first Paternoster I came across was right at the end of the '60s, at Northwick Park Hospital. It was looked on with great suspicion by some of the older members of staff. Was popular with some of the men as that was the age of the mini-skirt!
JeanT

Yes, that's the only one I can recall. Could only be used by medical staff.

Postby mistakened » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:41 am

chihuahua8 wrote:The first Paternoster I came across was right at the end of the '60s, at Northwick Park Hospital
That is the only paternoster that I have seen too. I wonder why it was removed, too many pranks perhaps?

Postby Uschi » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:00 am

They are deemed dangerous these days, and were to be done away with, because of an EU directive, but protests kept them alive here.

Postby slimpersoninside » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:56 am

Uschi wrote:Come to Wuppertal, find "Rathaus Barmen" during work hours, go up the front stairs, walk through the entrance, up half a flight of steps and turn right.
Once you have had enough, go back down the stairs and leave the building, go right under the arches and then look towards the right where you will find a former Art Nouveau Swimming pool that has been turned into a Micro-Brewery-cum-pub called "Brauhaus". Good beer and decent food for the intrepid traveller.

A return to Wuppertal is firmly on our list. Looks like we might do the 'trinity', Schwebebahn, Paternoster lift and Brauhaus!

Postby Uschi » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:01 pm

Best done next year, Debbie, as it is not running right now.
But here is a preview of the Brauhaus ... https://wuppertaler-brauhaus.de/das-brauhaus/

Postby scullion » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:12 pm

that reminds me of the porchester baths, in london, back in the late seventies.

Postby slimpersoninside » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:21 pm

Uschi wrote:Best done next year, Debbie, as it is not running right now.
But here is a preview of the Brauhaus ... https://wuppertaler-brauhaus.de/das-brauhaus/

R has been keeping himself abreast of the trials and tribulations of the Schwebebahn and therefore we weren't planning a visit this year. If all's well next year we'll be back. Not sure what time of year to visit though, we'd like to have brighter weather than last time for better picture taking but we don't do heat very well and you tend to get hotter weather than us during the Summer.

Thanks for the Brauhaus link..........added to the list ;) :thumbsup .

Postby chihuahua8 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:50 pm

Re: paternoster at NPH.
I left there in1994 when the MRC closed its research at NPH and as far as I recall the paternoster was still there and the restriction was no patients or visitors.
JeanT

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox