Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Renee » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:13 am

I didn't know that, jeral! Technology is quite amazing now.

Gill what a horrible thing to be happening where you live. It was a bit like that in the area where I used to live near to Rochdale, but it's a lot more crime-free in this area.

Postby Uschi » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:37 pm

Dare I mention that I got onto a bike after more than thirty years on Fehmarn??? :o

I felt so wobbly and weird, :crying1 but in the end it worked. Will do it again.

Wuppertal is extremely hilly and even with a good set of gears it's hard going. Having said that, I never owned a bike with gears. :crying1

Postby jeral » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:00 pm

Well done Uschi as the hire ones are ludicrously heavy to begin with. (I'd need one with stabilisers).

The electric motorised push bikes are good for hills; lightweight titanium and the motor only kicks in when needed. Definitely need to start saving one's pennies up though.

Postby Renee » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:04 pm

I felt exactly the same when I got on my cousin's bike in Canada! Very wobbly indeed. I didn't go far. I have a nice exercise bike now.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:05 am

Go forrit, Uschi.
I've been on foldies for a while.
But got a CUBE racing bike a year ago. (that's a German one, Uschi).

Which I use all the time from just zipping to the shops/ studio, to endurance rides. It's all very well getting "there", but you've got to cycle back too.
Have a look at this video on gears, Uschi.
It helped me tremendously when I got this one = Large cog at front - town cycling. Small cog at front - uphill. You will mostly be in the large cog.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:48 pm

I may have mentioned this before but I can't ride a bike. I'm unlikely to want to learn at my age!!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:09 pm

I would love to be able to ride a bike again, could go so many places now I’m retired. But not safe for me

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:20 pm

There's nothing but lycra on two wheels here - not a pretty sight when driving behind 'em & lots cause havoc for drivers - I would have a Miss Marple bike with a basket & a bell, which I think should be compulsory.

Postby Rainbow » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:06 am

Joanbunting wrote:I may have mentioned this before but I can't ride a bike. I'm unlikely to want to learn at my age!!

Good to hear I'm not the only one!!

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:25 am

In the summer, I used to cycle the 17 miles down the towpath to w***. However, a sequence of accidents culminating in the insertion of some metalwork into my leg meant I was banned from cycling by Mrs B. Haven't got on a bike since. I'm still bionic though. :)

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:51 am

I know enough people who cannot swim.
But I think you both are the only people I know who cannot ride a bike.

Badger's, it sounds like a wise move not to get on a bike. It's a numbers game, and you have been lucky.
Lord knows I have enough incidences when I ride in town, pretty much all days, save rainy ones.

Right, off to get my shopping.
Enjoy your Saturdays.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:38 pm

Gill. Good shopping!

M couldn't swim until we went to the Bahamas and I taught him in a very private little cove. He was terrified of the water. He was not wonderful on a bike either , absolutely no co-ordination. These days he would have been diagnosed with dyspraxia.

As it was he jsut kept being shouted at by his father and teachers for not trying hard enough. His father wouldn't let him wear the spectacles he need because it was a sign of weakness and if he concentrated harder etc etc.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Renee » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:13 pm

That's a very sad story about M, Joan. Thank goodness that things have changed now.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:57 am

Those good old bad old days, Joan.
My dad learnt to swim by getting thrown in at the deep end. Great! :crying2

Your other half has compensated by using his brain more perhaps?

Great shopping by the way.
But Tony's terrible when he comes with me. We get meals for 3 days, and I know what happens - he doesn't want the second or 3rd meal, so we shall have it tomorrow I guess.
Which is why I decide in the morning, every day. For today.

None of this plan ahead.

Postby Renee » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:04 am

Oh Gill! :shock: There are times when I'm so glad that I live on my own.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:46 am

Well, there are times when it's a lot easier, my friendly friend.

Still, we are going to a food festival in the cotswold village of Broadway today - near where we picked our blackberries.
I might scoop up something for tonight.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:25 am

Gillthepainter wrote:Your other half has compensated by using his brain more perhaps?

Exactly Gill

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:30 am

Has he still got his old map book, showing every little road in France.
That really saved our bacon, we'd have got so lost without his sage advice.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:20 am

Oh yes Gill Although we have paired down an awful lot of such things when we redid the libabrary early in the year. It now has shelves and cupboards all the way round and all his archives are sorted into archive boxes in the approved fashion! I bought him an antique leather armchair from a house sale so you may well guess where is is to found when missing!

On another topic we have an 18year old GD as from today. She rang us from school first thing this morning to thank us for her present which was an account for waterstones to be topped up every term until she is 21. She is in the troes of applying for medical schools.

Postby jeral » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:41 pm

Joanbunting, your M could be fooling you of course by coat on the back of the chair but actually down the pub. Only kidding of course as he probably prefers to be absorbed in the library.

Congrats to GD and what a thoughtful and useful gift. On some TV progs the docs remember things by acronym mnemonics (e.g Every Good Boy Deserves Favour) so there could well be a book listing those :) Hopefully med schools are crying out for more students, especially passionate ones, notwithstanding this government's tendency to shoot itself in the foot.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox