Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Chatterbox

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:29 am

Sakkarin wrote:Blimey, good luck in the new house.

If it's smaller than the old one, you'll just have to adapt and downsize...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1a0wEbxcFc

(We've probably had that video before, but it made me smile when I rediscovered it)

A who,e new meaning to “matchstick fries” :D

I remember in the very early 60s a toy stove that worked the meta-fuel tablets used to start the kerosene in Primus stoves. Hotter than the tea lights I expect but didn’t last long, we cooked tiny scraps of bacon on it then it went out

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:42 am

So sweet! I love things like that.

Postby Suffs » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:05 pm

I had one of those but Ma confiscated the little fuel thingummies :( :lol:

Postby Busybee » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:45 pm

I don’t know why but that video makes me think of Uschi - it’s the kind of set that she would build. All dinky!

BB

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:49 pm

What a darling video.

It's lashing down here. I'm picking Tony up from the dentist later in Winchcombe 10 miles away, so I'd better not be late or he won't be a happy drench person.
I'm going in a couple of weeks as my chipped molar new crown is too big/ long. And is making me jump when I bite on it.
I presume she can just file it smaller so my bite isn't "in the red zone" - she has a computer image of the pressure, and it looked blue on the screen.
But it's not in real life.

Postby scullion » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:05 pm

Suffs wrote:I had one of those but Ma confiscated the little fuel thingummies

i had one too - i didn't know it could be used like that - never saw the fuel, damn!
mine had a bit above with a rack sort of thing, if i remember right.

Postby ChinchillaLady » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:27 pm

Me too! No wonder we all grew up to be great cooks :lol: :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:25 pm

I feel quite deprived. I have never seen one before.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:07 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I feel quite deprived. I have never seen one before.

Neither have I, EM.
Maybe you can make up for it by getting one for your GD :lol:

Postby mistakened » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:02 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I remember in the very early 60s a toy stove that worked the meta-fuel tablets used to start the kerosene in Primus stoves. Hotter than the tea lights I expect but didn’t last long, we cooked tiny scraps of bacon on it then it went out
We had one of those, it was only used under close supervision.

Moira

Postby Renee » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:37 pm

We had a Primus stove and my parents used to take it when we went fishing in the lakes. We had a can of Heinz Cream of Tomato soup with an added can of baked beans, followed by a pork pie that mum had made.

Postby Uschi » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:20 pm

Busybee wrote:I don’t know why but that video makes me think of Uschi - it’s the kind of set that she would build. All dinky!

BB

:lol: :lol: :lol: Maybe, because I made such tiny meals from Fimo to wear on necklaces and bracelets.

I feel deprived, too, as I never had one of those stoves. I had a tin one from East Germany, but it had plastic stove-tops, I used to cook on small "ovens" I built from two bricks and a piece of slate with a little fire under it. That was in the garden, of course. I had a hotel for beetles and woodlice ...

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:19 pm

Tech question anyone?

I'm think of getting some Bluetooth earbuds so I can comfortably listen to my podcasts & audio books etc while wearing mask and specs - I have a Bluetooth headset, it's good, but it's a bit big and hot, like a studio headset, fine at home but not for taking out

Actual Apple AirPods are very expensive, and the battery life isn't brilliant, so I'm looking for something else
The front runners seem to be mifo

https://mifo.co.uk/products/mifo-o5-plu ... ZDEALw_wcB

Anyone got any experience or tips?

Postby Busybee » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:35 pm

Sue, I’m not an earbud user but DS is. He has Apple AirPods and thinks the battery life is ok. There are three levels of AirPods and he has the middle one, I was reading an article about them last week in, I think, The Telegraph. The most expensive ones are noise cancelling, and the next version will be able to automatically fade out if they sense approaching vehicles. How on earth they can do this goodness knows.

I think I don’t use them as I think it’s so dangerous when I see people walking around wearing them, seemingly oblivious to their surroundings, especially traffic. The next version of the AirPods appeals if they really can do this type of noise cancelling.

BB

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:02 pm

I won't be wearing them walking around, except when I'm using Google maps to give me spoken directions - and most good ones let you use a single bud for that, I'm thinking more when sitting outside (I can't easily read a screen in daylight, let alone sunlight) or on public transport, which I use a lot as I don't drive

I'd like noise cancelling, I've had wired headsets with cancellation in the past, but it's not essential

The problem with Apple though is cost - £199 vs £89.99 for the mifo, big difference. So that's why I wondered if anyone had any experience of non-Apple versions, I'll get the Apple ones if there's nothing else, but there's no doubt the price is inflated

Postby jeral » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:52 pm

Stokey Sue, I'm sorry I can't help on earphones as the techie stuff is beyond me. Creative Labs https://us.creative.com/ have made award winning ones, but whether they are iPhone compatible and whether just for music or gaming since they are sound rather than utility experts I honestly can't tell. ( have a speaker set from them and their email help is very good when you don't know what you want, lol.)

On spectacles, a news snippet this morning said that a pair worn by Gandhi were sold for £250,000. Apparently they were given to someone in 1920 in case they were any good (glasses were scarce at the time) or to throw them away. Hoarding isn't always a bad thing it seems.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:25 pm

Ooh well done jeral :clap - those look the business
The thing about Bluetooth is if it’s Bluetooth 5 it’s compatible with any Bluetooth device, Apple, Microsoft whatever

Here’s a direct link to the model on the U.K. website -£54.99 is a good price it seems

https://uk.creative.com/p/headphones-he ... utlier-air

Postby jeral » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:06 pm

Good ho. I was hoping you'd find something as £200 as the target to beat sounded like a brand name front loaded price to me, which is fine if money no object.

In other news, apparently John Lewis had a sell out with a leather iPad pouch at £300. Is there a money printing press on sale somewhere? ;)

Postby Tatihou » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:39 am

Helloooo...
It's a loooong time since I last posted here and I see not only has Sakkarin's gaff moved but the Wild Foodies have moved too.

Reading Peet's (RIP) Mustardland this morning, someone mentioned Mamta's excellent recipe treasure trove which reminded me of Wild Food which led me back to here. Hope everyone (and their friends and families) is / are as well as they could hope for in the current circs. I shall wander off and catch up a bit.

Life in rural Normandie is absolutely fine - if a bit windy today - but I'm missing all the usual people-focussed events that rural France normally excels in - village fêtes, town foires and vide-greniers but well, (cliché alert:) we are where we are and this too will pass.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:17 pm

Blimey, it is a long time! Welcome back. Mamta still crops up regularly.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox