Register

Britain's fat fight

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Britain's fat fight

Postby mark111757 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:34 pm

.I wasn't sure how to take this series

It has been recorded and is on the down load circuit.

IMG_20180426_121013_354.JPG
IMG_20180426_121013_354.JPG (58.02 KiB) Viewed 4325 times

Recipes as I can find them.

Wednesday at 9pm on BBC 1

bbc.co.uk/fatfight
Last edited by mark111757 on Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Hugh's fat fight

Postby jeral » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:47 pm

It's another impossible fight because it's circular: People buy food that's there; it's there because people buy it.

If the government can't persuade people to eat healthily after years and £zillions spent trying, I doubt Hugh will make that much difference. But you never know. This was Ep 1 of 4, essentially highlighting various problems. Maybe some are successfully addressed with possible solutions (where all else have failed) will emerge in the other three episodes.

I'd say worth watching, but the question is will it reach non-foodies or persuade anyone, makers or consumers?

The government (whichever party it might be) has a get out of jail free card because taking away "freedom to choose" as a fundamental doctrine won't be allowed to be ignored or ridden rough-shod over.

mark111757, you might know that the government here recently introduced a sugar tax on fizzy drinks. Many say that's merely to boost taxation coffers since illogically no sugary foods are similarly taxed. No wonder Hugh coiuldn't resist the irony that the government's 2017 annual party conference chose Tate & Lyle (sugar makers) as its sponsor.

You'll have to update us on the USA's current thinking on obesity issue pretty please.

Re: Britain's fat fight

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:02 pm

It was filmed in my native Newcastle upon Tyne. There are a lot of very deprived communities in the area amidst others that are largely ethnic - mostly Bangladeshi and Chinese - both being very self sufficient with plenty of local food outlets.

When I was working for the local BBC station and the regional newspaper I was asked to feed a family of unemployed local folks for a week on a very limited budget.I had to report every day - live! It was almost impossible because they thought I was "a posh bairn", they were not even within walking distance of anything other than take-away outlets, none of them had even basic cooking skills. They all had different food dislikes and wanted to eat on the run at different times of day and night. Finally the parents spent all their "spare" money on cigarettes.

It taught me a great deal - not sure how much the family learned though :lol:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby mark111757 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:06 pm

For recipes,here is main link

bbc.co.uk/fatfight

Then there are links to breakfast low sugar recipes and family meals

Hope this helps

Postby mark111757 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:03 pm

This is part of what the king of stylee did when he was in the states for the food revolution.... Can't find the video at all

https://www.eater.com/2011/4/13/6686965 ... ns-of-sand

http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants/jam ... ke-2375038

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/ ... 12106.html

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:53 am

We caught up with the HFW programme yesterday and found it very interesting, especially when he was speaking to the owner of the convenience store in the shopping precinct in the Walker area (where Hugh and the team had their own pop up veg stall. It seems that the lack of ability in preparing veg is a generational thing. Although I can see the appeal for pre-prepared fresh veg for those who have joint problems, it is a double edged sword in that it makes a substantial amount of able bodied people lazy. I can't help wondering if the Womens Lib movement had a small role to play in this, or maybe the economic climate in the 70s and part of the 80s.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:48 am

I think we need a whole cultural shift

I get very tired of friends in restaurants. We all announce we are full after the main course, then they start ordering sticky toffee pudding or whatever and when I reiterate that I am full, they assure me that there is always room for pudding - "pudding stomach" is often mentioned - and try to talk me into ordering, eating, and paying for unhealthy food I clearly don't want and certainly don't need.

Similarly when I mention that I really must get round to losing a bit of weight everyone assures me that I don't need to. Not true, I do and after all I'm in a position to assess the fat layer, so why patronise me? (Answer often, but not always, that although overweight I'm a healthier shape than they are, but the skinnt ones do it too)

Postby Renee » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:51 pm

Yes, I'm with you there, Sue, regarding pudding. I really only want the main course and that is quite sufficient for me. It's not an age thing, because I've always been like this. Luckily I rarely eat out and don't have friends who would persuade me to eat more.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox