Register

Easter Week & / or Spring Break or Passover Plans ?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Easter Week & / or Spring Break or Passover Plans ?

Postby Alexandria » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:26 pm

:thumbsup :thumbsup Plans for the holiday week ?

Working .. Going north on the Costa Brava ..

Leaving Thursday 7am and returning Monday evening ..

The majority of all the hotels in Spain, have wi-fi of course ..

Have a lovely spring break .. :wave :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Easter Week & / or Spring Break or Passover Plans ?

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:50 am

The simnel cake is made, the lamb for Sunday has still to be bought.

We're visiting friends one morning and one evening and going to a show, but mostly we shall get cracking on our garden and allotment, weather permitting.

Happy Easter everyone

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:18 am

lHot cross buns will be started this afternoon and the dough left in the fridge to bake tomorrow. They will be distributed to neighbours - but plenty for us.

Tomorrow we will have the tradtional salt cod with aioli, boiled eggs and steamed potatoes

Sunday we are eating at our chef friends restaurant

Monday - the only holiday in France.

Asparagus veloute
Pot roast veal with a spring vegetables with herb butter
Fresh goats cheese from our neighbour
Eton mess with local strawberries,

I hope the sun shines for everyone
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:33 am

I had a Google for "Easter Food Worldwide", and a Saveur page came up, so I thought there'd be some gourmet delights, butcheck out the rubbish Hot Cross Buns! And iced crosses, sacrilege!!!!!

Looking at what's on offer in supermarkets, it struck me that there's been a change in Hot Cross Buns that has passed me by - they're all square, to fit the square packs!!! It seems the only way of getting a proper round one is DIY.

The Polish "White Borscht" looks good, but I stuttered at the very first ingredient, 2lb of "smoked kielbasa". Turns out it's a Polish sausage, I wonder if I can find some!

The Fava dish also reminds me that I have dried fava beans in the back of the cupboard that I've never used, originally intended for broad bean falafel.

https://www.saveur.com/global-easter-recipes

EDIT: That all sounds wonderful, Joan :-(

Postby MariaK » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:57 am

Sakkarin wrote:The Polish "White Borscht" looks good, but I stuttered at the very first ingredient, 2lb of "smoked kielbasa". Turns out it's a Polish sausage, I wonder if I can find some!

Forget that recipe - Total rubbish.

If you're really interested I can look up a proper recipe and translate.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:56 pm

I'm going out for an annual meet up with some friends on Saturday, we are going to Darjeeling Express for our first visit

Morrison's are suggesting "traditional whole salmon", I'm not sure it is that trad but I may well have fish on Friday and it's the sort of thing I might cook if entertaining

I think lamb is the real tradition in the south of England though I prefer hogget, which will be 13 - 14 months old now

I have cooked a turkey in the past, quite an easy way of feeding a large table and it seems to be quite popularat Easter now

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:06 pm

When I first used to shop with my own money, I would buy salmon steaks or cutlets for Good Friday, either baking them in foil or poaching them in a seafood bisque (from a tin). We might often have had (tame) rabbit and pork strips on Easter day, leftovers cold on the bank holiday Monday.

I don't see tame rabbit any more and probably wouldn't buy it in any case. There's a wild one in the freezer that will become a stifado one of these days. I did wonder about doing it for Easter, but fancied slow-roast shoulder of lamb.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:24 pm

Good afternoon, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Today´s ( Hotel Lunch on the northern Costa Brava or Empordà - Holy Thursday) "potaje " dates back to the invention of pottery (barro ) and cooking in a moist format. The Roman chef, Celio Apicio, of Andalusian origins, recorded some of his récipes which could be precursors to modern Potajes, or stews. From the 4th century onward, potajes ( pronounced: Po ta heys ) have been a traditional meal during The Lent (la Cuaresma).

Potaje de Garbanzos, Espinicas & Bacalao ( Chickpea, Spinach & Cod Fish ) ..

Ingredients are: Chickpeas, fresh spinach, 2 hard boiled eggs, Evoo, garlic cloves, potatoes, cod fish, smoked paprika ( Pimentón ), vegetable stock and
onion .. salt and freshly ground black pepper and fresh minced parsley herb ..

:thumbsup :thumbsup Thank you for all your feedback and have a wonderful day ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:22 pm

Interestingly Member 461, chick peas are the more frugal alternative to salt cod here. Cooked in an earthenware pot on the embers.

I thought about bunny for Monday. I like to cook saddle at this time of year with the tiny baby artichokes but it is far too early for them this year, so that's a treat for later.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:47 pm

My Twitter feed is full of picture of penitents and statues of the Virgin Mary in procession in the streets of Malaga

Today is Maundy Thursday when in commemoration of Jesus washing his disciples' feet the monarch washes the feet of a few elderly people and gives them special Maindy money and some other cash. In fact I think they have long stopped the actual foot washing, but the Queen has held a Maundy sceremony in Windsor today

Postby Alexandria » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:38 pm

Joan, :wave :wave

This is the most common authentic classic in Spain served through-out the Lent which begins the morning after Carnival (February) and ends on Easter Sunday ..

Potajes are a very ancient form of cooking and they are prepared on a low slow flame ..

Salt cod dates back to the Vikings & The Basque Fishermen, who were taught how to salt the fresh wild cod in the Norwegian Fjords ..

A potaje, signifies A pot or " olla " ( au ya ) pulse or beans, cod fish and one or more vegetables ..

The most common dessert served here are: Torrijas ( pronounced: TOR RI HAS ) and they are similar to a French Toast but made with a loaf bread verses industrialised sandwich bread ..

They can be prepared the Medieval Convent style way with Red Wine & Evoo, sautéed, verses milk, egg and then sautéed in butter like a French Toast ..

Your meal sounds amazingly wonderful ..

Winters really hit the Provençe región and there was alot of snow this year, even in southern France ..

So, alot of seasonal Green Veggies are delayed

Happy Holidays .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Have a lovely day and thank you for all your feedback .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:02 pm

Easter will be very quiet for us this year, mainly due to the horrendously wet weather forecast down our way. It's a good job really, because we've got loads of TV programmes to catch up with from the last couple of weeks. We will be visiting our local B&Q DIY store to get some stuff to stop some of the local cats getting into our front garden to answer the call of nature :x .

Food-wise, we've bought some sea bass for tomorrow and there is a half shoulder of lamb stashed in the freezer for Sunday. I haven't yet decided how to cook the lamb yet, as we have the blade end of the half shoulder, I may either slow roast it or bung it in the slow cooker. It should fit in there OK.

We've also got a pack of hot cross buns in there as well - Asda bakery ones not home-made. Although now we have a free-standing mixer with a dough hook, I may just get around to making some that are a little different from the norm, if I can find an interesting sounding recipe. I don't think I would bother making anything that I can buy easily for a lot cheaper. I would however, start with a white bread mix and take it from there ;) .

I will probably make a chocolate cake of some description to serve with a summer berry compote. I do love that combination.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:13 pm

Strictly Saint Clare, :wave

Sorry to hear about the bad weather ..

However, the sea bass for Good Friday and the roast lamb for Sunday sound wonderful ..

And the hot cross buns too ..

Have a lovely holiday and all my best wishes from Aiguablava, Costa Brava .. :wave :wave

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:17 pm

Venezuela closes down for Holy Week.
Still, today is my son´s birthday, so we´re off to eat a pizza.
Then I´ll be starting prep on a Saturday Curry Lunch I´ve been asked to prepare.
Prawn Vindaloo and Chicken Makhani, potatoes & tomatoes with coconut, paneer masala, Naan bread, with some samosas and pakoras to start. Nothing too challenging, fortunately!

Postby Alexandria » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:08 pm

Karakoolaide,

Happy Birthday to your son and have a wonderful pizza .. :thumbsup

It is a bank holiday here 29th and 30th ..

Many tourists here ..

I am working & up on the Costa Brava ..

Have a wonderful long weekend .. :wave

Postby Alexandria » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:11 pm

Badger´s Mate, :thumbsup

Happy Easter holidays to you too ..

Thank you for your feedback and have a lovely long weekend .. :wave

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:08 pm

Berries and chocolate, Strictly. What's not to love.

Birthday best wishes, KKA.
I was going to make a curry fest.
But couldn't go out for a long bike ride, and also do all the meez on plass. It takes me about 3hrs to prepare Indian.

So I'm putting in a leg of lamb to slow slow roast whilst we are out.
I'll only need to make the creamed leaks when we get home.

Have a good break everyone.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:40 pm

The pizza was absolutely...
pizza :stfu
It never really excites me to go out and have a pizza - unless they have toppings like rocket, Shropshire Blue and caperberries, or whitebait with fennel fronds, bacon jam and birdseye chiles :o , but still, sonny Jim had a lovely afternoon, and they even brought him a special profiterole with a candle in it.

The curry nosh is for Saturday, but I reckon the Makhani and the Vindaloo can be prepared well ahead, so that means less work for Saturday morning. All the sauces prepped then whackadoodle-doo, I´m ready to finish the dishes when I get there.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:41 am

How do you make your chicken mankini , Clive?

My cooking ways are a little different to most here.
We decide first thing in the morning, and I prep sometime during the day. Then finish off half hour before we eat at 6:30 - 7pm with as little to do as possible that end.

If I plan meals in advance, he doesn't want to eat them.
If I prep the day before, he invariably doesn't want it by the next day.
Which is why I often ask for ideas, but don't get round to them for a while.

So it's a one day, same day affair when I make a meal. I pretty much cook every day too.

For example today, he cannot eat much today he says.
So we shall have a light feta mint and mango salad. With croutons.

Not moaning, it's just how it is when you marry someone who doesn't really like food.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:28 pm

[quote="Gillthepainter"

Not moaning, it's just how it is when you marry someone who doesn't really like food.[/quote]

I'm sure he has other talents Gill :lol:

KK expect guests. Happy birthday to son.

3 dozen Hot X buns baked and some distributed to friends and neighbours, with some new laid eggs to special friends so hope they all enjoy breakfast tomorrow.

The sun is shining here, but not enthusiastically and it is quite chilly so M lit the fire this morning

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox