Register

Korean Food

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Korean Food

Postby jeral » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:47 pm

I came across this recipe for a vegan and gluten-free version of gochujang paste, although it does rely on finding Korean chilli powder which is a drawback. However, I looked at an authentic one on Morrisons' website, whereby the ingredients didn't look inspiring at all in a true clean sense (i.e. wheat is listed first).
https://minimalistbaker.com/easy-gochuj ... ili-paste/

It says elsewhere in the link that coconut aminos can be subbed with tamari, but use less as saltier, so it's just finding the proper chilli powder...

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:24 pm

THAI BASIL: I lied, they had some in stock at Tesco just now.

GOCHUJANG: Wasn't sure where the wheat you mention came from as I was under the impression that fermented soy was at the heart of all the Korean pastes. The Sainos is the same brand as Morrisons.

Spot the difference.

Bibigo (the one I've got) Gochujang ingredients:
Corn Syrup, Red Pepper Seasoning 23.85% (Red Pepper Powder, Water, Onion, Salt, Garlic), Rice, Water, Sea Salt, Garlic, Red Pepper Powder 2%, Grain Alcohol, Soybean, Salt, Soybean Powder, Glutinous Rice, Rice Flour, Koji.

Sainsburys "Gochugang" ingredients:
Starch Syrup, Wheat Flour, Water, Powdered Red Pepper (10%), Salt, Polished Wheat, Ethyl Alcohol, Garlic, Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein (Wheat), Onion.

Sainos Gochujang

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:03 am

although it does rely on finding Korean chilli powder which is a drawback

I have to admit that I have never tried Korean chile powder. However, the description says it is less spicy than cayenne - so I would go for Kashmiri chiles. They should work just fine.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:23 am

Currently I think it’s easier and cheaper to buy Korean chilli in London than to buy Kashmiri chillis - I finally tracked some of those down last month and they weren’t cheap, I think the political situation in Kashmir has affected supplies

But Korean food is “in”

If you want good all round dried chillis the big bags from Chinese supermarkets are a good bet

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:47 am

I had all the Torode/JudyJoo/Whoever that other lass was's Korean programmes on my old Virgin Tivo. I just went to check out the gochugang programmes, and found that as they were on the defunct Good Food channel, they are all now locked out, even though I have the recordings :-(

Korean chilli flakes are very mild, maybe if you use normal chilli, use half the amount specified. It's not mild and sweet like ancho style chillies, so it's not just a question of heat.

KK, if you PM me your address I could send you some Korean chilli, as I did Stokey a couple of years back, but not sure whether that would be a problem at the border - or for you as the recipient.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox