Register

John Dory

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: John Dory

Postby BelgianEndive » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:56 pm

Yes you should pick up a rotring again Sakkarin! I used the real fine ones for designing too. But it is not avatar material, diamonds.

All right Lush! Hope you like them. We do enjoy those regularly :D
Do you remember the Under Wraps thread? I just sent a recipe to my niece for a fancy dinner. Banana leaves filled with a mixture of crabmeat, prawns and fillet of white fish mixed with ginger, coconut milk, egg, grated courgette. It looks stunning. I just got an e-mail from my brother saying that thanks to me he had to go look for banana trees in order to pick some leaves... I'm in trouble there :?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:07 pm

Reignited this thread as from zero John Dory ever, I've found it twice in a week!

I was in Morrisons late Saturday night, and although the fish counter was closed, they actually had fillets of JD on display, fairly small, but also fairly cheap, at £1.43 and £1.89 for the two I saw. There was no point in buying them, as I suspected they had been there all day fermenting, and I wouldn't have been able to use them within a further 24 hours. However I went back again today, and there was no JD there, so I asked the fishmonger if it was a one-off special, but he said they get it fresh every Friday. So I think I may be back there one Friday soon!

Having turned the aisle corner however, I saw there were two fillets in the "end of date" section. Only 75p and 93p (!!!), but I have a feeling they were the same ones I saw on Saturday, so I gave them a miss - I never get fish from the out of date section, on the basis that if the staff think it's past its sell-by, then it really must be rank :-(

Second helping of John Dory, there's a fishmonger just opened up in Watford! The man behind the counter is clearly very proud of his new shop, as I while I was looking at the display, he insisted in telling me what every fish was as I went by - about 20 different species. Kind of irritated me, as I like to shop without being fussed at. I asked if they did John Dory, and I think he misunderstood me (I suspect he is Portuguese), as he picked up a fish that clearly wasn't JD. However on looking at their Facebook page, it DOES mention John Dory, although probably too expensive for me, but they did do Grey Mullet, and I have several recipes in the Fuchsia Dunlop book that specify that, so looks like Szechwan is back on the agenda.

I've been going through all my cookbooks for John Dory recipes, and found about 10 or 11 at the moment, but open to suggestions. Of two that caught my eye, one is similar to the tomato and olive/caper one earlier in the thread, and the other one has samphire and tomatoes.

https://www.facebook.com/thefisherywatford/

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:46 pm

Good resurrecting of a nice thread Sakarino............!
I do miss Elisa's posts - if you're reading this, you're a very bad endive.....!!!!!

Very handy to know Morrisons have JD on a Friday Sakks :thumbsup Absolutely up there on my favourite fish list - but I can't help with recipes, as I said further up thread, the simpler the cooking the better - it really is a sweet fish that doesn't need any help - try it simply fried first, especially since you've not had it before.
Just lemon, & maybe a herb butter or salsa verde.
I made lots of a zingy spiky melon/chilli salsa over the summer to go with white fish fillets - really brought the flavour of the fish out!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:04 pm

Oddly enough, one of the recipes I dug out is John Dory with Endive, in Marco Pierre White's "Canteen Cooking".

That would be a huge faff though, as the recipes and sub recipes are given in huge portions: i.e. the tarragon veloute that accompanies it uses 1.75 litres of double cream. And 2/3 of a bottle of Noilly Prat.

Mind you, I bought a bottle of that Prat stuff a few years back, with a view to trying out some of the cheffy recipes that use it. I think I'll leave that till I've tried something a little less complex though for my first go at JD.

Edit: P.S. that's the Watford Morrisons - I doubt they all get it on a Friday, I don't even know if they'd all stock it.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:28 pm

Taste the Noilly Prat before you use it if it is opened (and even if it isn't

It doesn't keep well in my experience
I use Morrison's own brand dry white vermouth in cooking, very good (and cheap)
Also drink it!

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:26 am

wow, that fish at the front looks mean!

My J Skeekey book has the J Dory pan fried with vine tomatoes & capers with monks beard - not seen that before.
Although fish counters usually have assorted green packets of blanchable veg to go with your fish.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:30 am

I have that book too, it gives samphire as an alternative, which is the way I'd go - that's the recipe I meant when I said "samphire and tomatoes"...

Thanks for checking it out!

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:39 am

Wrong time of year for samphire now :( it's my go-to with fish, love it - the s/mkts still have it tho', packed in little cartons - leave it well alone, don't know what country it's imported from, but it's vile stuff!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:51 am

Oh dear! Guess I'll have to think again!

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:47 pm

Reading this thread through again, my tastebuds are telling me:

Gingery, tomato broth with coriander and a little chile.... :birthday-dancer :birthday-dancer

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:46 pm

Oh well, a wasted trip to Morrisons just now, no John Dory. I suspect it was either a special, or that they didn't bother getting any because they didn't sell any last week. Maybe pop over there tomorrow night after work.

Postby Renee » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:37 am

If your fish shop is anything like the stall on Chorley market, what they have on sale depends on the catch of the day.

Postby dennispc » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:25 pm

Back to Sakarin's Avatar - I can't draw either Sue, the outline of my Christmas card was traced.

John Dory, it's been at the back of my mind as the Farmers' Market fish van often has it. However, it won't be turning up in December because the town's Christmas tree uses the same spot. Council priorities, eh? :roll:

Unfortunately, the opening of a fresh fish shop in town has badly effected the fish van's business so he may not be back in the New Year. Such a shame, his fish is better and cheaper than the shop's. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:32 pm

How much is it from your fish van, as a matter of interest? I asked my fish shop how much, and they said about £16 a kilo for whole fish. Given that there is about 65% wastage on them, I calculated that to be around £20.70 a pound for fillets. Sheesh.

Postby dennispc » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:46 pm

Sakkarin wrote:How much is it from your fish van, as a matter of interest? I asked my fish shop how much, and they said about £16 a kilo for whole fish. Given that there is about 65% wastage on them, I calculated that to be around £20.70 a pound for fillets. Sheesh.

That's a memory question Sakks - no help I'm afraid. The last time he had them they were being sold as filleted steaks not as whole fish.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:39 pm

I looked back on this thread, and I see that it was 18 months ago that I spotted those John Dory fillets in Morrisons. I've been back many times since, with no sight of JD. But at last it has returned, they've got whole fish in. They had two weeny ones and one huge one, at £12 a kilo. I hoped that the two weeny ones might make an affordable meal, but a SINGLE one was £3.40. So that's what I've got. Now to figure out what to do with it. It's mighty weeny though, and of course 90% head. And it had clearly been on a starvation diet - sideways on it could almost fit in an envelope.

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:45 pm

Ooooo if you have the whole fish there Sakks you're not going to be left with a lot.

We had a large DJ over the w/end cut into two large fillets & yes, the price is eye-watering, but it's a fav fish for me & I only see it now & again, so worth it. Simple is best with all fish for me - a sweet fish doesn't need any strong flavoured sauce - it would only detract, so the fillets were doused in seasoned flour & fried briefly in butter & olive oil - a squeeze of lemon & that's all they needed. :yum

You'll need to bake that fish if whole after giving that huge head a kiss goodbye - if you have any fennel in I'd place it atop of some finely sliced & a drizzle of OO - again keep it simple so you can taste it.

Hope you get in touch with your JD side............. :thumbsup

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:30 pm

I've plumped for the rosemary idea of Gill's, and dug out my Rick Stein book which has the recipe. However the fish is supposed to be grilled, but I will fry it as per your comment. It also has baby new potatoes which reminded me of Joan's cruhed spud Dory dish.

The recipe is actually online here

http://www.hub-uk.com/foodpages25/recip1221.htm

Postby Alexandria » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:00 pm

John Dory ( Saint Pierre in French and Gallo or San Pedro in Spanish ) is a very common fish variety here in Barcelona .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

One of the classics here is a dish called " Bullit de Peix " ( sort of a fish stew yet not quite with saffron served with rice ) however, I do prefer it pan sautéed or grilled in Extra virgin olive oil and I always serve it with a tri color salad, radicchio, rocket, and llosso, a green leafy oak leaf lettuce with deep magenta curly edges ..

Thank you for posting .. :thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:42 pm

Well that was extremely tasty!

276g of John Dory gave 102g of fillets/174g of carcass. That's the whole fish on my (small) plate.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox