Register

Yet another foodscare :-(

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Site Admin

Re: Yet another foodscare :-(

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:46 pm

I suppose this comes under this category, although at the other end of the supply chain!

"Two amputations a week: the cost of working in a US meat plant "

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... stry-plant

From my memories of "proper butchers" back in the old days, I seem to remember it was quite common for butchers to be missing a finger or two, certainly my local one had a few short of a full complement. He ended up working at Tesco as a "pretend butcher" when the superstore which opened 5 minutes down the road killed his business.

Postby jeral » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:10 pm

It doesn't surprise me Sakkarin considering reports on the Net about the various dangers in the US meat packing industry, often due to short cuts (ignoring safety procedures) taken to ensure that imposed targets are met. The overseer with a whip doesn't seem to be unheard of this country either.

To me it's the wrong way round. Food should cost what it costs, not competition-driven artificially lowered prices which cause shoppers to zoom about like balls on a pinboard machine looking for bargains rather than quality. No wonder consumers also are less healthy these days eh?

Strangely enough, top executives if taken to task are always suitably "surprised and shocked" that such could possibly happen in factories for which they set targets, including that illegal workers with no rights could possibly be working on their production lines.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:24 pm

Not that I would eat the things anyway but this one sounds alarmingif you an American cereal eater.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44819227
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby jeral » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:00 pm

Interesting, yet perplexing as to why only that particular cereal, unless the source factory is responsible and supplies to all the 33 states reported.

Meanwhile, a link here says (last two paragraphs) that breakfast cereal sales have been steadily in decline since 2010:
https://www.thestreet.com/investing/kel ... l-14623635

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:56 am

I don't think I know anyone who eats conventional Kellog's type cereal, though muesli granola are around

Interesting how salmonella could get into something like this - pure guess but vermin might be a source, as might a flavouring syrup the puffed wheat is sprayed with - my assumption is that freshly puffed wheat is likely to be sterile as it is done at a high temperature

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:54 am

I found out about another food scare on Thursday in work. There is an ongoing investigation into an outbreak of listeria across Europe, including the UK, leading to a number of frozen food products being recalled by supermarkets. I did look listeria up on Wikipedia to see if gets destroyed when heated to a certain temperature. Thankfully it does, at 73 deg C although it would be wonderful if Stokey Sue can assist here - my scientific knowledge is nowhere near good enough! Anyway, below is a link to a list of retailers that have been affected by this.

https://www.food.gov.uk/news-alerts/ale ... 8-update-1

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:58 am

Listeria does get destroyed by heat quite easily, like many bacteria, but I'm not sure you'd cook frozen mixed veg for long enough to be sure of getting them all

However the big problem I suspect would be handling the food before it is cooked, I'm sure I'm not the only person who has sprinkled tiny ice crystals round the kitchen while pouring out the veg, not worth the risk for a pack of frozen sweetcorn IMO, and that seems to be the official advice

For most people an attack of listeriosis is unpleasant but not dangerous, you'd probably describe it as "gastric flu" or similar, however it is really dangerous for the pregnant, the frail elderly, new-borns and anyone with poor immunity

NHS advice
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Listeriosis/

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:12 pm

Thank you for the above info Sue!

Postby jeral » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:15 pm

[quote="Stokey Sue"]...[clip]...

However the big problem I suspect would be handling the food before it is cooked, I'm sure I'm not the only person who has sprinkled tiny ice crystals round the kitchen while pouring out the veg, not worth the risk for a pack of frozen sweetcorn IMO, and that seems to be the official advice. ...[clip]...
? Do you mean pre-frozen possibly contaminated droplets that won't be cooked but just slurped around during cleaning up? If so, then I suppose that's a vote for antibacterial clean-up surface sprays, as opposed to a bit of muck resilience building.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:37 pm

jeral wrote:
? Do you mean pre-frozen possibly contaminated droplets that won't be cooked but just slurped around during cleaning up? If so, then I suppose that's a vote for antibacterial clean-up surface sprays, as opposed to a bit of muck resilience building.

Yes, everything inside the p :crying1 ack will be contaminated, including water or ice, and of course anything like a measuring cup or scales can get contaminated. Clean up would be possible, but probably nit woeth it for a pack of veg,better to leave it sealed

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:28 pm

Now they're getting really grumpy about sausages and bacon :-(

Making me feel guilty about the gorgeous bacon ribs I had last night...

And making me fancy another batch now.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... tudy-finds

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:27 pm

I heard this on R4 this morning and thought "Here we go again" I am sure the written report makes things a lot clearer and that the press and I suspect that, as usual the media/ press have just grabbed the headlines and forgotten that the whole diet has to be considered. So, if as the spokesperson is correct if you have your bacon sandwich in a multi-grain roll or bread then you are greatly reducing whatever risks there are.

We have a friend who is so terrified of eating any processed or red meat she won't even touch a large green salad with a sprinkling of crispy pancetta bits.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:35 pm

Remember the 5% increase is a 5% increase in the risk, it doesn’t mean an extra 5% of people

If the baseline risk in people who don’t eat those salted meat products is that 30 in 1000 will get the disease, a 5% increase in risk means 31 or 32 people in 1000 may get ill

It does not mean that an additional 5% of all people will suffer, which would be an extra 50 people in every 1000, but the scaremongers talk as if it did

Just had 2 Heck sausages for lunch, quite nice but I prefer a coarser, less homogeneous, banger.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:11 pm

I tried those Heck sausages the other day and was not impressed, too tight grained, as if they'd been overworked. Made me suspect that it disguised poorer quality meat. I think they had a tougher casing than I'd like as well.

Also tried Asda finest 97%, better than Heck but not quite as good as Sainos/Tesco finest.

EDIT: By "sausages", I mean pork sausages. Are beef sausages proper sausages?

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:33 pm

Heck are highly recommended by the main slimming groups. They are almost totally fat free and high percentage meat. If you are a sausage lover they are never going to fit the bill.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:18 pm

Sakkarin,

In Spain, there are Vegan, Vegetable, Seafood, Fish, Lamb and Beef sausages for those who do not eat pork.

They are the same basic process, however, the filling is different and perhaps the casing for religious dietary laws.

I have never tried them so I am unaware of the tasting profiles.

Have a nice evening ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Pampy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:28 pm

As there are in the UK

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:34 pm

I think Sakkarin was joking Member 461

Traditional English frying or grilling sausages are usually made from pork, and you expect a pork sausage if just offered “sausages” without the meat being specified. But beef sausages of a similar type are also traditional, and very popular in Scotland I believe

But sausages of many types are made and sold, lamb, chicken, turkey etc. There’s a different traditional pork sausage called a saveloy that is boiled, like a frankfurter

I had a very nice pure beef hot dog on Monday

And of course we can buy sausages that aren’t traditionally British, such as chorizo, merguez, Toulouse etc.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:36 am

I find myself wondering who and where these headlines are targetting.
The masses?
The Government to reduce their guideline numbers.
Dieters, as diet is big business.

Everyone.

Alcohol drinkers, you're doomed. As alcohol always slips in there as the ultimate nasty. But the report doesn't concern alcohol.

Flaws, as they cannot be sure what people eat and don't eat on these studies to be honest, due to under reporting. 20st chap swears he eats 1500 calories a day?

Not me?
I don't like sausages and bacon.

It all seems so fake.
I just cannot take it seriously enough to change what I eat.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:23 am

Whenever I read these reports I always wonder who has sponsored the study. Also, like you Gill I take them all with a large pinch of salt.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox