Register

Yet another foodscare :-(

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Yet another foodscare :-(

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:07 am

I think one of the scariest food stories last week concerned the bought in sandwiches and salads which kieed three and made others very poorly indeed. If hospital patients can't be assured safe food then there is something very wrong indeed..
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby jeral » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:47 am

It's perhaps too early to comment on the listeria thing without knowing how it came to be in the causative sandwiches.

On bacon/cured meats, if it's that bad, why is it allowed for sale at all by the FSA? If it is allowed, why not serve it in hospitals? There is nitrate-free bacon now (as said) and quite a surprising variety of passable I'm told fake meat now, e.g. "duck" is now, but fake of any sort is also double the price.

If bacon were to be banned in hospitals, I imagine people would be only too glad to get home, lol. However, given the impetus over the last few years to get people out of hospital beds at lightning speed, bacon could well be banned in hospitals tomorrow. Moi? Cynical?

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:58 am

For those who are really interested in the red meat / processed meat conundrum, here’s a really interesting (but very in depth) review of the BMJ study

If you only read part, it starts with Catherine Collins excellent, easy, explanation of what the data is and where it comes from

http://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-study-looking-at-red-meat-intake-and-risk-of-death/

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:12 am

In the UK, of 100 women aged 60, about 5 will die in the following eight years, and of 100 men aged 60, about 8 will die. If they had all increased their consumption of processed red meat by seven slices of bacon a week between ages 52 and 60, then about 1 more of the 100 women would die, and less than that (somewhere between 0 and 1) more men would die. So in total somewhere between 1 and 2 extra deaths out of the 200 men and women

Somewhere between 0 and 1 - I'll live with that!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:53 am

The thing that struck me was that none of the press hysteria had picked up on the dietary shifts or the age thing

Postby dennispc » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:16 pm

Thanks Sue, read enough to interest me, I'll go back to it later.

Here's the Guardian's take

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... scientists

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:02 pm

So now we're being advised to go for white eggs to stop the chickens from pecking each other to bits. Brown egg chickens are more aggressive than white egg chickens. Hmm.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/short ... brown-eggs

Postby scullion » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:32 pm

what a load of chicken ----!
that's such a generalisation. as the writer suggests - it's more likely to be the intensity of stocking than the hens.
there are more docile hens than others that lay brown eggs but i think it's more to do with the fact that one of the leghorn breeds produces the most eggs in commercial farms - which are white.
it's more to do with profit than welfare.
the eggs i buy contain beautiful blue ones along with white and brown.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:57 pm

AAARGH!!!

...the blue colour is caused by insertion of a retrovirus into the chicken genome, which activates a gene involved in the production of blue eggs. The Araucana, a chicken breed from Chile, and Dongxiang and Lushi chickens in China lay blue eggs.

Postby Renee » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:27 pm

WHAT???... Clarence Court have blue eggs and I have bought them occasionally. I've also bought Araucana blue eggs from Aldi or Lidl. I thought tbe blue colour was because of the breed and not an injection.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:35 pm

Google threw up that snapshot which sounds like there's human intervention, hunting down the actual article it's quoted from gives this, which sounds as if it's a result of natural processes...

http://www.virology.ws/2013/09/11/a-ret ... ells-blue/

Postby smitch » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:20 pm

I thought the Clarence Court eggs are naturally blue, that is certainly what this website seems to suggest: https://www.legbarsofbroadway.co.uk/index.php/our-hens/cotswold-legbar/

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:04 am

Yes, that sounds like ordinary selective breeding of a natural trait

After all many bites lay blue eggs, robins for example lay sky blue eggs

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox