Register

What's everyone eating this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby jeral » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:07 pm

Suffs, in your omelette, what did you use for the custard sauce? I see Delia uses creme fraiche and egg yolk. I can't envisage what that tastes like, however egg makes me think of rum or whisky and I was wondering if a soupçon would enhance or ruin it?

For sunny side up eggs, I've seen the egg white fried separately, then the yolk so each can be cooked to degree wished. I finally remembered to do that tonight and it was a success, yay.

I also saw where the white is separated and herbs of choice are stirred into it before frying. Unfortunately I completely forgot to do that, doh, so I'll make a majoram, mushroom and either Cheshire cheese or small prawn omelette tomorrow with a sunny yolk to dip my EVOO'd grilled bread into.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:25 am

Chicken is probably our most eaten meat, Joan.
I'd be stuck if we couldn't eat it - like an arty friend of mine.

Omelette AB. How lovely, Suffs. I do adore eggs tho. The runnier the better, poached usually for me.
That's a good tip, Jeral about the yolk too.

I've got left over chicken tonight to deal with.

Postby Suffs » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:19 pm

jeral wrote:Suffs, in your omelette, what did you use for the custard sauce? I see Delia uses creme fraiche and egg yolk. I can't envisage what that tastes like, however egg makes me think of rum or whisky and I was wondering if a soupçon would enhance or ruin it?

I made a bechamel with the poaching milk (which had lemon zest, bayleaves and half an onion as aromatics) and a handful of chopped parsley and a good dollop of creme fraiche to enhance it. T'was delicious. As for rum or whisky ... don't think either would work ... not for me ... I love the creamy buttery flavours mixed with the smokey salty fish. Might use fresh chopped chives instead of parsley some time tho ... just to try it.

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:28 pm

Smoked haddock is just what we're having tonight..... :thumbsup will use some of the last of the chives in the garden - although it still seems to be going strong!

Postby Suffs » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:15 pm

Enjoy :D

OH tells me I can put my feet up ... he's making us a vegetable curry for supper ... he has butternut squash, cauliflower and red pepper and spinach amongst other things, and a roghan josh base, some yoghurt and naans ... :thumbsup

Postby jeral » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:05 pm

Talking of Indian dishes, I came across this list (all clickable linked recipes) but more importantly it has clickable glossaries at the bottom of Indian names for veg, pulses & lentils, and spices & condiments (some of which I can never remember):
https://www.syvum.com/recipes/ivrindex.html

Suffs et al, thanks for the white sauce info as it's such a useful thing, provided it tastes of something, anything nice but definitely not nothing :thumbsup

Postby Wic » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:38 pm

Panacalty. Till I saw someone mention it on the old BBC Board I’d thought it was an invention of my mother's.

My father, who was Canadian, loved it, and now it’s also loved in various places in the Atlantic Provinces.

It’s infinitely variable, but basically vegetables, covered in stock with sliced potatoes on top. All cooked till tender and then sliced corned beef put on top for the last ten minutes or so.

Comfort food! Well, it’s been a cold day.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:40 pm

Wednesday ..

Whole wild Scorpion fish baked in oven in white wine, fresh squeezed lemon, fresh minced parsley, 1 large tomato de-seeded and peeled & diced finely, a bit of finely sliced leek, 2 cloves minced garlic, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, strained fish stock broth home made, fresh herbs of basil, thyme, and oregano and a pinch of dry basil, thyme and oregano ..

We prefer our fish very simply traditional Mediterranean.

The wine we had was a lovely Albariño, Pazo de Señorans from Cambados, Galicia ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:46 pm

Thursday .. All Saints Day ..

Dear friends (2) are coming for lunch and I am preparing Sicilian Stuffed Veal Chops with Boletus Eduli Wild foraged Mushrooms, prosciutto, green scallion, Mediterranean Herbs
and White wine ..

Barolo Red shall be our sipping pleasure ..

Bread: Our fave is Cibatto which we call Chapata from dear friend who owns a Bakery and Culinary & Pastry Academy close by ..

The starter is a simple Italian salad ..

Dessert: A sublimely refined cheesecake with fresh rasberries & Jerez de La Frontera Emilio Lustau Aged Solera Brandy to accompany .. ( from the Pastry Academy of a dear friend ) ..

Have a lovely weekend ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:57 am

Theatre tonight.
I never know what to have, as I don't like to be folded into seats with food in my tum.
But our leaving after 10pm, is far too late for us to eat.

We will have a g&t at the interval, and I cannot drink after I've eaten.
Up north it's called being "bagged up".

Postby Alexandria » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:25 pm

Friday 19.30 ..

Heading out shortly for a stroll and meeting Friends for dinner and having some grilled fresh squid ( sepia a la plancha ) with fresh lemon & scratch made ali oli and of course, some Cava to pair with it or a white wine ..

Have a lovely weekend .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby dennispc » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:24 pm

Yesterday OH's news was good so we celebrated at a local pub with fish and chips (small size) with mushy peas and homemade tartar sauce. Chips were perfect. :thumbsup

Postby Binky » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:17 pm

I've not joined this thread before. My dinner tonight was quorn, fried with mushrooms and onions, served with steamed green beans and jacket potatoes (which were slathered in Polish butter). All was topped off with a nice bottle of Wolf Blass. We had a cocktail before dinner...gin, martini, tonic, ice cubes and an olive on a stick. Shaken not stirred :D

Postby Binky » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:17 pm

duplicate thread removed

worappened there? :?

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:54 pm

You stuttered while typing :gonzo :gonzo

This week has been a mega-cooking week. I´ve got 3 events coming up next week, so I´ve had a lot of planning to do as well as trying to work out where the heck I shall find the ingredients.
Yesterday, for example, I had two artichokes and a plateful of falafel for lunch.
Today I did a little better: brown rice and two stuffed Morita chiles. Órale!

Postby Suffs » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:36 pm

Glad the news was good Petronius :thumbsup

I've lost track of what we've eaten when this week ... yesterday was buttered jacket tatties with sausages and Branston baked beans (do like Branston baked beans ... by far the best of the brands in our humble opinion).

Tonight's supper is chuntering in the oven ... I had some chicken thighs in the fridge and was inspired while watching Family Showdown or whatever it's called ... tonight we are having chicken biryani ... haven't made it for ages but had all the ingredients in stock apart from yoghurt ... but I did have some buttermilk and some creme fraiche so a mixture of those two worked for a marinade.

Postby Renee » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:52 pm

I like the Branston Baked Beans with Chorizo Suffs. Sainsbury's and Tesco stock them. I had them for lunch with tomatoes and mushrooms.

Omelette, tomatoes and broccolini for tonight and a glass of wine of course!
Last edited by Renee on Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby dennispc » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:55 pm

We'd be lost without chicken - bought a whole one for roast tonight so I can make some some stock and chicken soup.

Thanks Suffs.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:31 am

I seem to have been eating very heavily for a week.

Including last evening. Pasta tubes, prawns, fresh tomato, chilli and lemon. With parsley.
I've been exercising heavily, and haven't recognised till this morning how much I am eating at the moment.

I'll be skipping breakfast.

Postby Renee » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:46 am

I suddenly realised too, Gill and gone has all the butter, cheese and cream until Christmas, that is!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox