Register

What's everyone eating this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:56 am

We'll be using the last of our leftovers by tomorrow night. I'll be making a ham and vegetable soup for tonight, and something with the remainder of the lamb that is currently stashed in the freezer. It will probably be a pilaff kind of thing. I used the last of the sprouts last night in a festive bubble and squeak to go with a fried egg, ham and some baked beans. It was delicious.

Postby DEB » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:16 pm

Turkey and leek pie tonight, then rest to frezzer. Then next week lots of fish and veg dishes I have had my fill of meat!
Expect phesents on 1st Jan.

Wishing you all a happy, health new year.

posting.php?mode=reply&f=3&t=2116#

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:36 pm

Tonight it is choucroute with all the pokie bits for supper.

Tomorrow we are invited to our friends restaurant for lunch - don't know the menu but it will be gorgeous

NY Eve just the 2 of us and I'm cooking braised partrige with red cabbage and truffled mash foloowed by a lemon meringue roulade.

NY Day, 6 guests for:
French real caviare with hm blinis
Cepes veloute with a horse radish foam and truffles
Christmas pudding and brandy butter or
Raspberry trifle with Cornish clotted cream

I've tried to make an anglo/french menu to suite the guests.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Alexandria » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:27 am

Saturday 29th.

At 16.00, we went to the cinema with my 2 sons and 2 daughter in laws who spent the day in Barcelona doing some shopping at the "sales" ( Las Rebajas ).

Then we did some shopping too and had dinner at a lovely spot, located in The Rambla de Cataluña at the N.H. Hotel called Tablefina. Their specialty is the Iberian Ham & Charcuterie Bar.

Sunday 30th.

Packing for our ski trip and driving up to the northern Costa Brava to see both my parents & my inlaws.

Lunch shall be very light as we have a big family celebration on both the 31st & 1st.

Have a Healthy, Successful & Happy New Year just ahead. Magic1
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:29 am

Joan,

Sounds sublimely exquisite ! Magic1

Have a Healthy, Successful & Wonderful 2019 just ahead.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:00 pm

31st - Monday.

This evening at my inlaws in Cadaquès, we shall be having a three course Fondue traditional dinner ..

The 1st course is a Gruyère & Kirsch Fondue served with rustic country home made bread cubes for dipping. This course shall be served with a variety of Sparkling Wines (Champagne, Prosecco & Cava ) and still Whites, from France ( Burgundies ).

The 2nd course is solomillo de buey (similar to Filet Mignon) served with Bernaise. The wine pairing: Grand Cru Classé, 1982 Château Prieuré Lichine Margaux ..

The 3rd course is dark chocolate fondue served with skewers of seasonal fruit and a type of almond based sponge. With Calavados.

At 12am, we shall be participating in the " 12 White Grapes & Champagne " Ceremony which historically started in Madrid in the 1890s ..

Happy New Year ..

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:32 pm

Not at all sure I could manage 3 different fondues Member 461 but I hope you enjoy them.

I would go for different wines - of course! I learned my fondue making and eating from Swiss friends and she and so we, always have a white Fondant from the Valais from her father's co-op For the chocolate I would have a red vin doux from Rasteau, just up the road- I'll keep the Calva for the coffee :wino :wino
With the Burgundian fondue it would have to be a red Burgundy, but one we could afford possibly St Romain.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Alexandria » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:29 am

Joan,

23.30 Wednesday.

Thank you for your wonderful wine suggestions.

However, I just received your message as we were travelling on the 1st .. And were skiing all day today.

My mom in law changed them and yes, she did serve a Red Burgundy with the Filet Mignon ..

When I get home, I can give you the name as I wrote it down ..

All my best for a wonderful start into the new year .. Magic1

Postby DEB » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:30 am

After the meat/fish feast over the holiday period I think tonight will be
Chickpea burger for my daughters
and
Chickpea curry for us.
The girls donot do spicy food.

Tomorrow homemade, roasted med veg, pizza for all.

Simple but tasty.
Enjoy the week end.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:55 pm

Today´s lunch will be a simple green salad and a mushroom risotto with truffle oil. Yum!

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:35 pm

I feel like something spicy too I have a boboti ready to have the eggs topping poured on and then into the oven. So just rice, some chutney and a green salad to serve. There are still 2 trifles left which MUST be used up. Well M says so anyway.

Postby Alexandria » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:59 am

Up on the ski slopes in the Alt Badia, Itay, in the Domites ..

Amazingly extraordinary spa cuisine for our Anniversary.

The wild carp and the wild trout were just sublime exquiste refinement.

All our best for a wonderful New Year .. :balls

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:21 pm

We had eggs benedict for lunch followed by fresh grapes and dried figs.

Tonight it's kedgeree and I am making an experimental white fruit salad. This is the result of the gift of a white watermelon. I am going to add lychees and sliced pear and some finely chopped stem ginger

Postby Alexandria » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:24 am

Joan,

White watermelon !

White verses red, were there nuances or did they taste the same ?

Interesting !

Have a lovely holiday weekend.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:09 pm

I had never seen or heard of it but now I have one. They are a similar texture but a more fragrant taste and smell. I made the salad with melon, lychees on pears and added some chopped stem ginger. At the last minute I had a brainwave and added some Fevertree ginger beer - a recent find in the supermarket. It was rather good after all the indulgences over Christmas.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:44 pm

Joan,

Sounds lovely ! :yum :yum

There are several color watermelons I have seen at the Le Mercat, La Boqueria in Barcelona.

Yellow and orange and the traditional red ..

Have not seen the white yet, however, if I do, I shall buy a small one ! :thumbsup

Thanks for all the feedback,

Have a lovely weekend. :wave

Postby Alexandria » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:50 pm

Since we are leaving for the airport at 13.00, we had a Buffet Breakfast at the hotel and that shall hold us over until we get back to Barcelona.

We always stop to have a lite bite and a Caffé Espresso at the airport or a sparkling water and share a tiny something.

It is not a lengthy trip: 50 Km. via Airport Van from Alt Badia to Marco Polo, Venice Airport and then 2 hours to Barcelona.

All our best for a lovely weekend. :wave

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:48 am

I was rather pleased with lunch today.
Yesterday I made some "empanadas" ( like pasties, stuffed with spiced mincemeat, but fried, not baked). There was some meat left over. I looked in the fridge and found a packet of swiss chard, and half a kilo of ready to use puff pastry.
I fried up an onion, added the chard until it wilted, grated a little nutmeg and added a pinch of cinnamon and a 1/2 tsp of cumin, then added the meat and mixed them together until it was almost dry. Then I lined an oven dish with a square of the pastry, spread the meat mixture over it, topped it with another square of pastry and baked it for about 35 minutes at 390ºF. A sort of meaty version of a spanakopita. It was delicious!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:38 am

Very nice, and inventive too.
I like empanadas a lot.

Off to do a general shop later. My porridge, mixed seed, and grated apple is in the fridge marinating in almond milk, for when I come back from my swim.

Tonight's cooking will be a recipe from Waitrose. I've got a few from Waitrose that are keepers.
Paprika chicken with red cabbage: https://www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/r ... troot.html

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:29 pm

Last night we had a cassoulet which was very filling but delicious the green salad wafterwards was a welcome break. Rummy bananas afterwards with a little salted caramel ice cream.

Lunch today was veal Flamande. A veal pot roast cooked with beer and dried prunes, apricots and raisins. I served it with butter beans cooked with butter, shallots and smoked paprika and lemon leeks. We had a piece of Kings Cake - brioche version afterwards but no-one got the bean so the rest will be made into a bread and butter pudding tomorrow.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox