Register

What's everyone eating this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby Renee » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:58 pm

I shall be making piperade for my evening meal tomorrow. I have a lone red pepper sitting in the fridge!

Shakshuka was discussed on here some time ago and I did make it. It might have been Hungry Housewife who mentioned it.

My vegetarian friend sent me a packet of gluten free Cashew Nut & Cranberry Nut Roast, which is mixed with water and comes with a container to bake it in. I had that tonight with a packet of Birds Eye frozen rice with mixed vegetables and grilled tomatoes. For lunch I had Member 461's Cordoba Salmorejo with the strips of ham and chopped hard-boiled egg on top.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:13 am

Renee, you are on fire!

Joan, isn't that sort of thing disappointing and off putting.
We stayed at a hotel that had trays upon trays of sticky cakes for breakfast. Very childish, although the Spanish do like a their sweet cakes.
As soon as the croissants came out, they were gone in the blink of an eye.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:43 am

Lush
That's nasty! I last had a problem in a high-end restaurant nearby. They asked me too many times if the prawns were OK.
Next day, they clearly weren't.
If I hear anyone mention the place, I tell them to go at their own peril.

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:59 pm

Good to see you back Grilly……….!

Hope you had a cracking time - what/where did you enjoy the most?
And did you manage to track down a good gelato this time?

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:29 pm

We're currently in Cincinnatti, staying with my son, so there are lots of foodie opportunities. We've eaten salmon, king prawns, lobster tails ( that was last night), fish and chicken curries and lots of yummy fresh veg....mostly cooked by you-know-who!

However, we've also been out to eat - brick-oven pizza, ginormous Swiss burgers, blackened shrimp and very large salads!!

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:40 pm

Thanks Clive - reading your post there has reminded me of ( the gorgeous) Scott Walker's 'The Lights of Cincinnatti'

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

And now I'm tripping down memory lane listening to his wonderful caramel voice, so many good tracks...!
Quite frankly he could sing the alphabet for me with that voice...……..oh yeeeessssssssss!

Sounds like you're having some good food there!

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:42 pm

On Sunday, I made a salmon platter for lunch similar to this one, well, it was inspired by it anyway. As it was just for Mr Strictly and I, I made a few changes, such as doing without the hot smoked salmon and adding a dollop of HM beetroot chutney. It was wonderful, and Mr Strictly practically inhaled it, to the point I've now called him the Fishy Monster. Well, if Sesame Street can have the Cookie Monster etc!

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/sal ... ic-platter

As there was some cold smoked salmon left I made a quiche for Sunday dinner with the remainder of it with leeks and courgette. We are finishing it off tonight. Again that was lovely and summery as we were eating it with chips and salad. We have boiled spuds and salad last night, and it looks like spuds and veggies tonight.

I've also made some scones for tonight's pud, I'll take the rest into work tomorrow as we have some jam and clotted cream left over from some treats one of my colleagues brought in today. She's getting married on Friday and today was here last morning in work as a Miss, before she comes back as a Mrs.

Tomorrow's dinner will probably be something Mediterranean, or a veggie Jambalaya

Postby Alexandria » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:39 pm

Have been in Portugal since the 1st week of July, and cannot wait to get home on the 1st August ..

Today, lunch was more or less a simple Pipirrana ( denotes diced vegetable and fish salad ) or Ensalada Mixta, which are salads consisting of:

Red onion
Tomato
green horn pepper
cucumber
hard boiled eggs
Evoo
salt
white wine vinegar
Ventresca ( white tuna belly )

This is it .. Very simple and fit the occasion, a light summer lunch with temperatures in the 30 + Centig range ..

Enjoying reading all the posts and have a lovely summer .. :thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Renee » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:09 am

Your fish platter is a lovely idea for hot weather Strictly! The Fishy Monster made me laugh! :lol: :lol:

Member 461, is the Ventresca fresh or in a jar or can? I would think that the belly of the tuna is more fatty and so will be the best part of the fish.

I had the last of the cold tomato soup today with the accompaniments for lunch.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:53 am

Hi Renee

Yes, the salmon platter was perfect for this weather, it was very vintage but it just hit the spot for both of us. I didn't really have to ask if it was worth making again. The look of pure greed on Mr Strictly's face said it all! :D

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:08 am

Lush, we had a super time. Thanks.
When driving back through France, we went via 2 x plan d'eau lakes. I painted and Tony did drills.
At one point, I was surrounded by over 50 dutch tourists, who'd crossed the water in lilos, inflatable unicorns, swum, kayaked.
One dutch woman had a babe in arms begging me to paint her rather beautiful daughter.

We got back to the family stylee hotel, to moules freets night in the garden. Either plain, or blue cheese.
I chose my vanilla ice cream here, and Tony had his after meal coffee.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:13 am

How wonderful for you Clive.
Keep on eating and enjoying yourselves.

Lovely platter, Stricters. Nice one.

Member 461, we've had so many lovely salads.
I have to be sure they don't have tuna, husband cannot stand it. One tomato salad came with tuna & pineapple.
We had to switch plates.

Postby jeral » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:55 pm

Lovely trips and food folks :) Plus nice not to be doing the cooking...

I had cold mussels with S&P & malt vinegar for tea yesterday with apple, fennel, carrot, hint of green chilli/garlic/lemon juice dressing, plus a long cold tomato soup aka Bloody Mary ;)

Something earthy like blackbeans and mushrooms tonight, hoping the temp will fall a bit later (34C now). Banana/date/peach and a biscuit until then.

Postby Alexandria » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:49 pm

Renée,

Re: Ventresca, White Tuna Belly.

Glass Jars, and the one that I purchase:

Galicia, " Cuca Brand " :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Have a lovely evening .. :clap :clap :clap :clap
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:51 pm

The Gilt Painter,

Lovely Mussels ..

Have a nice wkend .. :wave :wave

Postby Renee » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:45 am

Member 461, thank you for the information about the White Tuna Belly. I haven't come across Cuca Brand here. The Tuna Loins in Evoo that I used were from Marks & Spencer and so had their label on the front of the jar. Interestingly, they were packed in Spain. I will certainly buy them again, because they are really special.

Postby Renee » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:50 am

Wonderful photos Gill and just look at all those moules!!! Shame that husband doesn't like tuna, but there is tuna and tuna! I don't really like the tuna in cans, unless mashed with mayonnaise, but the tuna in jars in evoo is really delicious.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:01 am

I shall bear that in mind next time.
It's not really occurred to me to buy better as I absolutely love tinned tuna myself. Lemon, cottage cheese on the side.
Or with mayo as you say.

Jeral, yes I'm now back in the real world.
We are having pork medallions tonight, with a sage & pinenut dressing. Broccoli to keep it all company.
I was hoping to tinker with my bike today in the overly hot garden, but it's raining, so I'll pass.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:23 pm

Last night we had stuffed peppers - the filling was a tomatoey savoury vegetable rice. I served it on a roasted Med veg salad and croutons. Although I melted in the heat whilst cooking it, the resulting meal was delicious and very filling.

I am currently eating a salad of cold pork, savoury eggs, salad, coleslaw and the leftover rice filling from last night.

Tonight I will be making a savoury veg tart which will be a nod in the pissasaladiere direction, using some of the peppers that we bought on special offer in Asda this week. I think it cost about £2 for 15 peppers. So far 3 have been eaten, and I'll probably get through another 2 or 3 this weekend.

Postby jeral » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:43 pm

I'm basking in the 'coolth' today being a mere 25C and welcome wind rather than stifling humidity so I can even breathe now :) There was a fair amount of thunderstorm rain yesterday; a mum and her kids were outside delightedly splash-jumping in puddles :) I'm knocking on a bit now or I'd have been right out there with them :limbobanana

For tonight, I''m thinking a tasty (wet) veg curry but with Yorks Pud withdrawal symptoms recently, it'll get plonked in one :D Should be two but I keep forgetting to buy egg replacer for the vegan and apple works but arguably basmati rice would be fine anyway. Some nice okra around at the moment, so thinking rogan josh with okra side.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox