Register

What's everyone eating this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:49 pm

Well now Sakkers, it would appear you've been making your pad thai all wrong all these years - could it be the lack of home made fish sauce d'ya think.....?!?! :lol: :lol:

Sterling job on all that chopping, :thumbsup not at all easy with a trapped nerve - hope it is getting much better!!

Postby Alexandria » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:11 am

Travelling on the Costa Brava, I have had a few amazingly exceptional salads and an exquisite Catalan shellfish rice dish ..

1) An Iberian Pata Negra Salad with Persian Melon ..

2) A Rasberry & Escarola Salad with red vine ripe tomatoes amongst other locally Bio salad fixings ..

3) A tiny locally grown eco-bio natural rice, which we call "perles" (pearls) which is grown in the Terrassa / Vacacarisses area 50 km. north west of the city of Barcelona, prepared with fresh shellfish ( gambónes, an extra large prawn, which has white white flesh and its texture is a cross between King Crab & Lobster ), 2 other type of prawns, fresh tiny mussels and fresh tiny clams .. The rice was prepared with saffron threads, shellfish & prawn stock and of course, tomato, shallot and some spices, used in our rices, such as salt, freshly ground rose, white, green and black peppercorns, smoked pimentón, a tiny swig of fresh rosemary and a tiny bit of the Mediterranean Herbs, basil, thyme, savoury, and marjoram ..

4) A salmorejo with prawns and Iberian Pata Negra and hard boiled egg garnish ..

All our best from the Costa Brava .. :wave :wave :wave

Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Renee » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:19 am

What amazing plates of food, Member 461 and great photography too! I recognise the Salmorejo, of course, having made it recently.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:21 am

Sakkarin,

Thank you so much .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Truly appreciate all your collaboration .. :clap :clap :clap :clap

All my best wishes and hope you are feeling better .. :crossed :crossed :crossed :crossed

Have a lovely weekend .. :wave :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:25 am

Renée,

Thank you Dear .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Unfortunately, I prefer to use my 35mm Digital however, the camera´s battery was on low !

So, these 4 shots were taken with a Samsung Galaxy ( I use it for photographs of plates predominately ) and use my I Phone for all my business needs and personal photographs ..

The ham salad came out truly lovely .. I am quite critical about photography .. :clap :clap :clap

Have a marvelous weekend .. :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:21 pm

Have you ever had one of those days when you say to yourself " Hmmmm, today I fancy some XXXXXX ( French/Greek/Thai/Lebanese, etc.) food!" Then you toddle off to the fridge and find you´ve only got two of the TEN ingredients you need :crying1
It happened to me. I had an uncontrollable urge to eat something Lebanese. BUT... no chickpeas, no parsley.
So I made these:
Broad Bean Hummus.jpg

Tabbouleh without parsley.jpg

Beluga Lentil Falafels.jpg

Creativity must keep moving!!

Postby jeral » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:06 pm

karadekoolaid, impressive inventiveness; the falafels held together too, cool, and all healthy to boot. Did you note what you'd done so you can make it again?

Just wondering, does anyone ever make some sort of cracker or water biscuit for who moose? <- sorry, Delia was just on a TV advert.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:20 pm

Karakoolaide,

Looks amazingly wonderful .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Grand fan of Mid Eastern gastronomy and in particular, Moroccan Lebanese and Persian ..

Have a lovely weekend .. :wave :wave :wave

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:29 am

Nice spot of home cooking there, KKA <<insert understatement smilie>>

Is that chervil with your ffffel.
And no parsley in the tabbouleh - what's the herb?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:34 am

My immediate thought was the elusive chervil too Gill coz it looks weeny, but looking at the scale (note tomatoes), and the cuisine, I suspect it is coriander...

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:45 am

jeral wrote: Just wondering, does anyone ever make some sort of cracker or water biscuit for who moose? <- sorry, Delia was just on a TV advert.

Hi jeral

I have made some savoury crackers before. All I did was adapt a scone recipe by omitting all the raising agents (eggs, baking powder etc.) and then kneading the dough too much so it went a bit tough. However, the following recipe bakes to a crisp texture as you can't stomach butter.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/113 ... vocado-sal

Just go to step 4 for the pancake method, it's really easy! I occasionally use this dough to make a taco bowl salad. You can bake them in the oven at Gas Mark 5 for about 6-8 minutes but watch them like a hawk. They can burn quite easily. Do the GBBO prayer if necessary (i.e. kneeling on the floor if your legs let you do that; mine don't sadly!)

I hopes this helps. If you cant get the cornmeal very easily then leave it out or use ground rice or semolina instead.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:56 am

Gillthepainter wrote:Is that chervil with your ffffel.
And no parsley in the tabbouleh - what's the herb?

Chervil is impossible to find here; it´s a sprig of emaciated parsley from the garden.
The tabbouleh has got dried mint in it. When there are gluts of the herb, I dry out the leaves for future use!

Postby jeral » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:11 pm

karadekoolaid, do you still make frequent use of your dehydrator?

strictlysalsaclare, many thanks for the crispbread pancakes recipe. I can get cornmeal plus they do indeed look very easy :)

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:21 am

karadekoolaid, do you still make frequent use of your dehydrator?
do

Frequent; no. But I do use it once or twice a month .Lemongrass, ginger, lemon and orange peel, etc. I tried to use it for tomatoes, but it was a disaster.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:55 am

Recommendation Barcelona Restaurant:

Indo Chine
C. Muntaner 82
www.indochinelyleap.com
Reservations Highly Suggested: Telephone: 93 / 451 1796

The urban energy that radiates from the Catalan Capital, slowly begins to fade as you enter Indo Chine, and nature´s flora and orchid filled exclusive gardens emerge with an ambiance, never to be forgotten ..

This was truly an amazingly extraordinary surprise, which dear friends had recommended .. Unforgettable totally ..

The Degustation Carte (fairly priced ) we had was 40 Euros per person plus the bottle of Cava we shared.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Monday ..

Today, I am preparing Merluza en Salsa Verde ( Hake in Green Sauce ), a traditional Basque Dish freshly caught ..

This variety of fish is from the Merluccidae Family and known in Latin a Merluccius Merluccius ..

The arrowhead shaped flesh of the lower jaw, is a delicacy known in the Basque Country and most major cities as Kokotxes, pronounced: Ko Ko Chas ..

Since, hake is quite a large species, for tomorrow, my husband and our parents shall prepare a dish called: Merluza a la Sidra ( Hake in Apple Cider ) a very well known Asturian specialty .. At my parents, today and off to central Costa Brava on Tuesday morning .. ( Begur, Aiguablava, Torrent, Pals, Sant Feliú ) ..

Have a nice week ahead .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby jeral » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:37 pm

Tonight, I've got some fresh tuna that I'll oily/spicy rub and flash fry plus make (and chill) a mango salsa to go with it. Popping out to see if shop has a caterpillar bread today, which is great if reheated to crisp outer sesame/nigella seed.

I haven't made a proper standard mango salsa before, so I'll fastidiously follow a recipe and ban myself from tweaking. Might treat myself* to a bottle of Malibu (white rum and coconut spirit) since coconut doesn't seem to figure in the salsa. (*) Well it is Thursday ;)

The Net reckons that adding e.g. sweet corn, black beans, or edamame beans and quinoa would add protein to veganise it if excluding the tuna.

Postby Renee » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:27 pm

I bought some hake from the supermarket. I asked if it was very fresh and assured that it was, but when I opened the packet at home, it had an unpleasant odour. I took it back and obtained a refund and have also written a message to the manager, because it is the third time that it has happened, so no Merluza en Salsa Verde for me tonight. :thumbsdown

Jeral, I would love your meal and have made mango salsa, but I thought that the red onion that I used made it too strong. Please let me know how yours turns out.

Postby Pampy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:43 pm

Is there a standard recipe for mango salsa? The one I make has mango, spring onions, red chilli, lime juice and zest, black pepper and coriander. I often add/substitute things like sweetcorn, red onion, pineapple, avocado...

Postby Alexandria » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:46 pm

Renée,

Too bad .. However, I am sure that when you do prepare it, it shall be delicious ..

Have a lovely evening .. :wave :wave

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox