Register

What's everyone eating this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby Pampy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:32 pm

Hope you'll be feeling better soon, Lush - there's nothing worse than having to keep your toilet rolls in the fridge! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Renee » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:34 pm

Hi Member 461!

The recipe is similar but said to use pork fat or olive oil … no butter. I didn't have a green pepper, so used an orange one. I would have preferred to use green. I haven't got the book open at the moment, but there was a mention of having it with Bayonne ham.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:19 am

Renée, :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

The regions where this recipe has caught on and become a legend, are butter producing and Evoo producing ..

However, note, that each family or restaurant venue has their own way of sauté-ing and yes, some sauté in pork fat ( manteca de cerdo ) or duck fat ..

I use Asturian or French butter or French Provençal Evoo ..

Have a lovely lovely day and summer Dear .. :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:58 pm

Pampy wrote:Hope you'll be feeling better soon, Lush - there's nothing worse than having to keep your toilet rolls in the fridge!

I'm beginning to think you've got a camera in my house Pampy! :lol:

Not a bad idea tho' with the moist tissue ;) Thanks for your kind thoughts!

Postby jeral » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:08 pm

Lusciouslush, I hope you starved the baddies out by now so that you're now happily noshing away again :)

I'm doing a prawn and mussel curry tonight with okra bhaji side (whether it suits or not lol).

I've found a simple fennel, leek & chickpea soup recipe for tomorrow which should be great with caterpillar bread (the sectioned one with sesame and nigella seeds on top):
https://www.sydneymarkets.com.au/recipe ... -soup.html

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:48 pm

Thanks so much Jeral for your good wishes !!

Not quite back to the noshies - by 10th day all had subsided - until yesterday, when it decided to come back & bite me again - :( :(

That prawn & mussel curry sounds the business...……………!

Postby jeral » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:17 pm

Luschiouslush, 10 days sounds a long time methinks, and for it to re-emerge. Is that typical? Are you sure it's not salmonella or something that needs doc medicine?

I hope it wasn't the mention of my curry, oops. I honestly thought you'd be eating like a horse by now after this long. Doc?

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:14 am

It was campylobacter Jeral :thumbsdown & a nasty little sod it is too...….! They prefer to let it pass through the body rather than treat with antibiotics unless it decides to take up residence......I feel a lot better today, so hopefully it knows where it's not wanted! The Lushly had it too but only for 2 days & no stomach pains etc.

We can only pin it down to a Chinese takeaway we had a couple of days before it kicked off - the place has been a regular of ours for years, clean & very good food so we shall miss it - there's been no outbreak locally so it must have been a pair of dirty hands - it's made me totally paranoid now tho'.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:32 am

Glad you are feeling a bit better.

Did you not have to notify the health authoritiesvia your GP? In the hot weather you , and we, have been having it is so easy for bugs to spread, especially if supposedly hot food is transported or cold food is not kept cold.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Renee » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:20 pm

I'm so pleased to hear that you are feeling better Lush.

I agree with Joan that it's important to let the health authorities know about this. I seem to remember that pathogens double up every 20 minutes given the right conditions, so that a few hundred can become thousands given time, but they shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:39 am

I don't know whether my GP has reported it - I suspect not, he did say I'd never know for certain where I picked it up from ( but the Chinese T/A was obvious to us ) & he'd just seen one other person a few days earlier with campylobacter, so not an outbreak - I'll check next week.

The Lushly bought some John Dory ( my fav) & samphire for last night's dinner - it was beautifully sweet, with new pots I thoroughly enjoyed it & managed to keep it down - fingers crossed there'll be no sequel....!

Postby Renee » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:15 am

Yes, that's true Lush and unless tests on carried out on the food and on the person, it's impossible to determine for sure what caused the illness. I'm sure that you are right about the take-away though.

I've never tried John Dory, so will watch out for it.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:33 am

A lot of people have never tried John Dory Renee - I think it's because it's not a pretty fish - it's head is big & ugly, but its flavour more than makes up for its looks! The Lushly said when he was at the fishmongers everybody was going for the turbot which was the same price - although lovely, John Dory will knock spots ( ha! it has a big spot!) off it - if you see it get it filleted & simply fry it coated in seasoned flour - you'll love it!

Postby Renee » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:32 pm

Thanks very much, Lush! I'll watch out for it at the fish stall on Chorley market, or check with Waitrose the next time that I'm in the area.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:33 am

There is an ancient Spanish adage: :clap :clap

Do not buy fish in the months without an " R " ( May, June, July and August ) .. If you do, be extremely cautious where and who you purchase the fish from .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Pampy » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:56 am

Ancient is the right word! In the UK, we used say the same for pork. However, both sayings were coined in the days before refrigeration, because those months were usually the hottest so food spoiled more quickly. In this modern world with fridges they, are no longer valid.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:15 pm

Totally agree Pampy! It used to be common lore here for shellfish too, but since we don't live in the dark ages any more this is more reliable information....

https://www.directseafoods.co.uk/wp-con ... -chart.pdf

You will be fine with fish from Chorley market Renee.......... :thumbsup

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:05 pm

We went to a party last night where the food was not very good - far too much carbs, chocolate etc and not enough fresh stuff. The evening was fun though.

Today's lunch was a fattouch. There is a small pork raost in the oven right now to cook ever so slowly while we watch Le Tour. I'll make courgette and potao galettes and balsamin tomatoes to go with it and afterwards there are some wonderful figs from Caromb - famous in these parts to be eaten with fresh goat cheese.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Renee » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:22 pm

Absolutely Lush! They go to Fleetwood Docks very early in the morning to choose from the catch.

I made Member 461's Cordoba Salmorejo and it was so delicious and very filling. I think that the flavours are more intense when served at room temperature rather than chilled.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:39 pm

Member 461 wrote:Renée, :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

The regions where this recipe has caught on and become a legend, are butter producing and Evoo producing ..

However, note, that each family or restaurant venue has their own way of sauté-ing and yes, some sauté in pork fat ( manteca de cerdo ) or duck fat ..

I use Asturian or French butter or French Provençal Evoo ..

Have a lovely lovely day and summer Dear .. :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave

Funnily I had piperade for brunch today
My understanding is that it is primarily a Basque dish, and connections in the French Basque region would be appalled by the use of butter or any herbs
Onions, peppers (preferably mixed colours, a little garlic, tomato, eggs cooked in olive oil or pork fat. Seasoned with salt and pepper, and yes, served with Bayonne ham, if you can afford it these days

Having said which, piperade is very similar to some forms of the Arab egg dish shakshuka, which occurs all through the southern Mediterranean. All these dishes are intended to make a simple meal out of whatever is in the garden or the market so there is as you say s lot of flexibility. My experience is that Basques and Bedouins scramble the eggs but Betbers (and Maghrebis in general) tend to poach the eggs in the veg stew, and they use a lot of different veg; I have a Maghrebi recipe for spiced cauliflower shakshuka.

I have followed up with a lamb meatball tagine tonight

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox