Register

What's everyone eating this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:50 am

Thanks for that Grilly - looks good & a fridge staple, will be giving it a whirl very soon!

You should get back in touch with your margarita side ( just noticed my wrong spelling earlier - but you knew I wasn't talking about pizza!) - wonderful in this weather - there's a bar in town that does a very decent chilli one too :thumbsup

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:03 am

I'm shocked I got the right spelling, Lush. Unusual for me.

I also should get back in touch with my pizza side.
There's a super place we go to in Tossa de Mar, called La Grotta. Family run, queues down the walled alley.

But I always have spaghetti chilli garlic. Every time.

http://www.lagrotta.cat/index.php?lang=ca

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:29 am

What is it about those red gingham tablecloths that scream Italiano…..? You just know you're going to be in for a good meal!

Are you going to Tossa de Mar this year? It's many years now since we were in LlaFranc.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:39 am

Us too. We went about 10yrs ago to Llfranc.
This year it's L'Escala, Tossa de Mar, and Sitges. Tony wants to train in the Brave Coast waters for his 10K swim in September.

I have saved up my "once a year" ice cream (I probably have more but it's the thought that counts).
And I cruise the gelato stands on holiday for my final choice. I selected a Movenpick one in the local square cafe last year, which was a joke.
The size of a melon ball cutter, served in a huge black bowl. Such a disappointment.

I went forth and bought a Magnum.

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:37 am

LOL!! for a split second there I thought you meant champagne...…..!!
Desperate measures & all that!
Hope you have better luck this year!

The sea along that coast can be quite choppy, is that why Tony likes to train in it? & when are you off? you'll have a fabulous time! Seafood a go-go! :yum

Postby Alexandria » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:16 am

Gil, :thumbsup :thumbsup

If you get a chance to take a drive from Tossa de Mar to the Capital City, of Girona, do stop and have Icecream at:

Rocambolsec :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Carrer de Santa Clara 50
Owned & Operated by: Three Michelin Star Dessert Designer Jordi Roca, his wife and staff ..

This is the best Gelato outside of Turin, Italy ..

Simply amazing ! And 100% Natural .. :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Note: It is 38 kilometres from Tossa de Mar ..

Another suggestion, if you are renting a car is to drive north up to:

Torrent & Pals, 55 km ..
( Have lunch at the Relais & Chateaux Torrent Masa, a historic Mansion and stroll through the gardens .. )

The Parador Hotel Aiguablava - Aiguablava ..
( Have lunch )

Have fun and a wonderful trip ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:30 am

Thanks for the excellent recommendations, Member 461. Much appreciated.

Tony's a marvellous swimmer, Lush, and it's a different technique in the sea - you punch your arms onto the waves.
Last time we were there, he was in relax mode having finished his competition swim.
I could see him swimming steadily from buoy to buoy .... and a Spanish chap was trying to compete with him never reaching his heals. I could see from the shoreline, but Tony was oblivious.
Then he kicked into drill mode, it was like turning on a motor. He left his new friend standing - he bobbed in the water and scratched his head.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:49 am

Well, the gooseberry cobbler I made for Sunday was a triumph. The sponsored walk was a success too, although I am not sure how much was raised in total. However, I did count up the money we had for the barbecue and there was £422 in all, although we did start with a £100 float, some of which was used.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:16 am

Gil: Thank you .. Have a marvelous time on the Southern Costa Brava .. :wave :wave

Strickly Salsa : Congratulations !! :clap :clap

I am going into peak season and have been in Portugal almost the whole month of June and shall be in Portugal most of July as well .. :lol: :lol:

August brings me back to Barcelona and then it is all local tourism, including: The Madrid Capital and Andalusia .. :D :D
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:52 am

Gillthepainter wrote:Then he kicked into drill mode, it was like turning on a motor. He left his new friend standing - he bobbed in the water and scratched his head.

:lol: That must have looked hilarious from the shore!
Can imagine that chap thinking...…... 'what the f%%% just happened?!?!'

Thumbs up Strictly...………... :thumbsup

Warm Chicken liver & lardon salad here last night with plenty of sage & blond lentils - always makes me wonder why I don't do it more often - 'Twas good!

Tonight will be something involving broad beans - The Lushly's picked what looks like a ton of 'em!

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:24 am

It probably won't be a ton of broad beans by the time you've podded them LusciousLush! :)

Postby Alexandria » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:01 am

Lunch Today ( Friday ) was just a lovely celery colored pale Green melón, with some Iberian Acorn Fed Ham .. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just on " light light " .. :clap :clap :clap

Dinner was a lovely breast of chicken salad with red wine vinegar, Dijon, shallot, red roasted pepper, olives, Portuguese Evoo and toasted bread cubes .. Very simple and light again ..

Have a lovely weekend and great month ahead .. :wave :wave :wave :wave

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:06 am

Nothing so exquisite here; a home-made pizza with any bits in the fridge which need using up!

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:12 am

Karakoolaide,

Nothing like a Marvel of a great Italian Pizza ! :wino :wino

As I am working in Portugal since the beginning of June and shall be here through end of July, I have little option but to eat out ..

However, I have had some amazing Portuguese Cuisine and products .. And have bought some incredible goat cheeses to snack on ! and of course, some breads to go with them and fresh fruit ..

Have a lovely day .. :wave :wave

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:16 pm

Nothing so exquisite here, neither.
Cat food salad - I had tinned tuna, Tony had tinned salmon.

I adore the fatty baked bread dish you get in Portugal, Member 461. Surprisingly easy and pleasant to eat in 40deg temperatures.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:17 pm

Lush, have you managed to make your way through your wonderful broadbeans?

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:12 pm

Gil, The Painter,

An exceptionally lovely salad !! :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Portuguese Breads and Their Appellations: :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

1) Broa de Avintes: Riera Litorial, Center Portugal .. This is a crustless Rye ..

2) Pao de Trigo: 100 % Wheat ..

3) Pao de Mafra: Appellation: Estremadura, Portugal .. This is Rye & Wheat ..

4) Broa de Milho - Appellation: Alto Douro, North East ..

This is 100% Barley ..

5) Pao de Centeio : Stone Milled .. 100% Barley ..

6) Pao Alentjano ( south east ) 100 % Wheat

Off top of head, ( I am working in: Algarve, Lisbon, Casçais, and Sintra ) I believe you are probably mentioning a "sweet bread" possibly ..

The bakeries in Lisbon and the El Corte Ingles Department Store which house, El Club Gourmet, sells breads from A - Z ..

I am not a gigantic bread eater .. I like however, I do not eat Gmo transgentetic corn flour or soy bean products of any type and in some establishments are incorporated into the flours bakers use, so I have to be very careful .. I am quite " bio or eco " minded .. No gluten issues whatsoever ..

Do not know which bread you are speaking of .. Perhaps, you wish to send over a photograph !! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All my best for a lovely holiday season and weekend .. :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:07 pm

I'm thinking of the Portuguese migas dish, baked, Member 461.
I had it in Evora with rabbit, as we drove through the country, top to bottom.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:08 pm

Gil,

Migas are tiny bread crumb cubes usually prepared in Extremadura, Spain .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Migas are prepared from day old bread, and normally Hogaza, a huge Galician circular bread is used, and the cubes are laid to rest overnight wrapped in a damp cloth.

The next day they are sprinkled with Pimentón de La Vera smoked paprika, minced garlic, Evoo and some lardoons of Spanish pancetta or sausage or Iberian ham .. and all sautéed in an earthenware cazuela .. A fried egg can be served on top of the migas, if one likes .. Salt and freshly ground black pepper ..

At 40 degrees centig, I shall wait until autumn for this dish !!!

We share it as a tapa when we go down to Extremadura ..

Have a lovely evening .. :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:50 am

Pretty hearty in Spain.
And one of my favourite spanish blogs was Madrid Tiene Migas: https://madridtienemiga.wordpress.com/
All things sourdough. Wonderful recipes.

The Portuguese one I had as a side dish I think was just baked in pork fat. Nothing more.

Perhaps most cultures have a bread "sauce".
Is there a French version of migas?

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox