Register

What's everyone eating this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby Alexandria » Sat May 26, 2018 7:53 pm

Saturday is 99% Pasta Day ..

Today was Pasta with Home Made Ligurian Basil Pesto ..

We almost downed a kilo of Trenette ( Ligurian Short Wide Pasta ) .. and a radicchio and rocket salad afterwards ( we usually eat our salad after the main course ).

A glass of chilled blonde Cava from Juve & Camps, a fave of our´s ..

Dinner: A walk to the beach, and a stop for a tapa and wine !

Have a lovely weekend .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon May 28, 2018 3:00 pm

This weekend was "Food Course" time. Again.
This course was " Indian Vegetarian Cooking" - 20 people buzzing around in an industrial kitchen is not really a good number ( too many!), but we made it work.
The menu was Navratan Korma ( nine precious jewels): 6 different vegetables, paneer, cream, nuts and pineapple. Then Katte Baingan - sweet/sour spiced aubergines from the Himalayas. Haak - stir-fried spinach; Plantains in coconut milk, from Kerala; Creamy mushrooms with yoghurt and cream; kichiri (yes, kedgeree) with rice, onions and lentils; bhatura bread.
Good job I tasted as I was cooking, because they snaffled the lot!

Indian veg course may 2018.jpg

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon May 28, 2018 5:00 pm

Hello Clive and Co.
Well done on the workshop. I'm not surprised they inhaled the lot - sounds absolutely marvellous!

Postby Renee » Mon May 28, 2018 10:40 pm

I would love to eat all that, even though I'm not a vegetarian, KK! Thanks for the happy photo!

Postby Alexandria » Mon May 28, 2018 10:57 pm

Monday .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Tortilla Española ( Spanish Omelette ) ..

Have a lovely evening .. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Mon May 28, 2018 10:59 pm

Karakoolaide, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Genial photo .. Cool Team !

Postby Alexandria » Tue May 29, 2018 3:30 pm

Tuesday 29th May:

Since I am working from home most of the week, as I am preparing for a couple of tours in Portugal, in June, I have had a few moments of pleasure to mess up my spotless kitchen (rarely used) .. :lol:

Today, I have embarked on an Italian Shellfish & Fish dish called: Brodetto a la Beccaceci, which is an Abruzzo and Marche coastal traditional dish, similar yet different from the Provençal Bouillabaisse.

From my paternal and maternal grand-fathers & dad´s Catch, here is the recipe:

1 Saint Pierre ( John Dory ) 800 grams to 1 kilo
400 grams of Mediterranean Monkfish called Rape
4 Norway Bay Lobsters or Scampi or Cigalas as we call them
4 Red Mullet Fish ( Salmonettes )
500 Grams of Ray fish
200 grams of Squid
6 red ripe bio tomatoes de-seeded and peeled
1 large Italian horn shaped Green Pepper
1 clove minced garlic ( one can use more according to their tastes )
Salt of choice
Freshly ground black pepper
Fresh minced parsley or fresh herbs of choice
Bio Italian Evoo
1 dried red chili pepper ( guindilla )

Prepared stove top in a "cazuela" of earthenware and served with Chapata for dipping and a bottle of Prosecco ( Astorias Brand ) ..

Amazingly astounding extraordinary .. I had my secretary and Receptionist come for lunch with us .. So there were 4 of us ..

Have a lovely day .. :wave :wave :wave

Postby Alexandria » Wed May 30, 2018 9:11 am

Wednesday ..

This extraordinarily delicious recipe hails from a restaurant dedicated to preserving traditional cuisine Niçoise ..

Vegetable Soup with Pistou ( The soup shall be served with a dollop of Pistou ) ..

Vegetable stock broth
1 small potato ( to thicken )
1 small carrot diced coarsely
1 / 2 onion minced
1 leek finely sliced
1 bay leaf
fresh thyme herb
French green beans
1 small tomato peeled and seeded
1 small aubergine
1 small courgette
Salt and Freshly ground black pepper
French Evoo
White Beans soaked overnight ( Northern or Navy Beans )

Definitely delicious .. :wave :wave
Have a lovely day ..

Postby Renee » Wed May 30, 2018 11:26 pm

Member 461, I would love it if someone made the Brodetto a la Beccaceci for me, but I won't be making it for myself with all those wonderful ingredients!

I will definitely be making the Vegetable Soup with Pisto, having made similar soups in the past, but with slightly different ingredients.

Tonight we had Cannelloni with salad which was delicious. I made the slow-cooked Bolognese sauce a month ago and had portions of it in the freezer. I bought fresh lasagne pasta sheets which I cut in half and wrapped around the meat mix. Home made tomato sauce at the bottom and then a rather rich Béchamel sauce on the top, with grated parmesan. We also had this a couple of weeks ago when Colin first arrived.

Postby Alexandria » Thu May 31, 2018 6:41 am

Renée, :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Wow .. Cannellone ! I am sure they were outstanding .. :lol:

Thank you for all your feedback and have a marvelous weekend .. :wave :wave

Postby Renee » Thu May 31, 2018 1:05 pm

Yes, it was excellent, Member 461, but I completely forgot the Smoked Mozzarella Di Bufala Campana to add to the topping. I have enough for two days leftover, so can add some when I reheat.

Postby Alexandria » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:47 am

Renée, Good Morning, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Looks amazingly extraordinarily delicious ..

Have a lovely lovely weekend .. :wave :wave

Shall be headed to Lisbon, on Monday morning for 1 week ..

So it is a bar, & restaurant weekend .. :wave

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:13 am

Nice one, Renee.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:27 pm

Saturday: Le Mercat de La Boqueria .. We both had the "chickpea flour fried bacalao (cod fish) and a simple Penédès White Wine .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Tonight: We are going to go for Greek with dear friends .. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sunday: Keeping it simple as I am leaving for Lisbon, Portugal early Monday morning ..

All my best for a lovely weekend .. :wave :wave

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:01 pm

Have a wonderful Sunday .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Last night was Greek Mezze .. Simply fabulous as always ..

Today, we are going for Japanese on the Beach, a fave spot we go to quite often during the laboral week ..

Monday: Off to Lisbon ( I am flying to meet a Tour Group of Assorted Spanish Speakers ) ..

All my best for a wonderful week ahead .. :wave :wave :wave

Postby jeral » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:11 pm

Which dishes do you like to eat at the Japanese resto Member 461? A new one opened here but I'm no expert in putting a Japanese meal together even from a menu.

Almost no cooking here for a day or so as I've been chaotically sorting out the kitchen cupboards having bought a new tall cupboard with shallow shelves and some shelf baskets for bits and bobs so I can actually find things :lol:
I can easily reach to the back of the shelves whether high up or low down - bliss. Sorry, me me me; just sharing my joy :D

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:01 pm

I'll come back later when I have time to recall all the great and not so great food we ate in London last week.

The highlights had to be Ottoleghi's Nopi and Marcus Waring's Gilbert Scott. Biggest let down was Cafe Merano and biggest surprise was a tiny Chinese fast food place near the School of African and Oriental Studies.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Alexandria » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:32 am

Jeral,

We share a Nigriri, Sashimi & Sushi "boat" .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

We are grand fans particulary of Nigriri & Sashimi ..

Red tuna, eel, squid, salmon, yellow fin tuna, crab and prawns ..

Of course, a bottle of Sake ! And a dip into Wasabi .. :wino :wino :wino

Have a lovely day ..

Postby jeral » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:52 pm

Thanks Member 461. It's probably about time I took the plunge and brushed up on chopstick skills, mine being like a fairground challenge with a Gotcha! if I'm lucky :lol:

My cupboard sorting is coming along (still more out than in due to switching things around) but I ought to have enough counter space to make a veg pie for tea with gravy and croquettes. Either that or filled Yorks Puds as the urge is upon me with recent talk of them.

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:36 pm

Member 461 - I haven't made Sushi for ages now. Me and Tiff are very much due a Sushi Saturday, thanks for the nudge.

Jeral - Do not worry, Sushi should be eaten with fingers anyway. You can put those chop sticks away :)

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox