Register

What's everyone eating this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby Alexandria » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:53 pm

Joan,

Amazing .. :yum :yum

I can see, that you have a penchant for menu planning & the kitchen !!

Sounds wonderful ..

Today: A rucola salad with Modena & Italian Evoo and the "cola", of Wild salmon (not salmon steaks, the back end ) ..

Last night ( Thursday ) was a tiny Lebanese Mezze bar where we go to have Hummus and Babaghanuj served with hot out of the oven Pita and a lovely Lebanese Red Cabernet Sauvignon ..

Very reasonable on purse and wonderful ..

Have a lovely weekend .. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:02 pm

Mussels scrubbed - garlic & shallots finely chopped - bottle of white standing by - & last of the parsley outside chopped & ready to go...………..moules mariniere here I come...…. :klingonbanana

Postby Pampy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:51 pm

What time do you want me to arrive :lol: :lol: - sounds heavenly.

Postby Alexandria » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:58 pm

Friday Lunch ..

Some Nigriri and Sashimi of course with Wasabe and a lovely Sake ..

Friday Evening ..

This evening, we have been catching up on household chores as we are only home four days; so we just stopped at our local corner bar with its lovely open air terrace and had some Fried Calamari and a wine ..

Have a nice weekend .. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:08 am

Friday Lunch:

A couple of Sweet potato and beet greens pakoras; then some potato, beetroot and onion pakoras. Making a lunch for 8 tomorrow, and it has to be delivered before 9am. Also includes Fish Molee, Mung Dal with broccoli and Baingan ka Salaan - aubergines in a coconut and peanut sauce.

Friday Dinner:

YMCA. The crêpe lasagna from yesterday´s lunch.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:21 am

Pampy wrote:What time do you want me to arrive

And you'd have been more than welcome Pampy!

'Twas good - the kitchen still smells powerfully of garlic this morning - as I'm sure do I...... :D

Clive can I ask how you make your crepe lasagne? It sounds good - pasta sheets are sometimes too heavy for me.
And I know it's probably obvious but what does YMCA stand for? I've got the yesterday's meal bit - is the rest cooked again?

Postby dennispc » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:58 am

Thought I'd posted this yesterday, obviously not.

Friday evening we had hake – fillet from the fish van (Brixham fresh).

Drizzle Olive Oil, season and bake in oven. Plus mash – not normal for us with fish.

Had tooth out Thursday (not straight forward) so still on softish food.

Lunch time was chicken soup, except the bag I took from the freezer was chicken stock. Diced some vegetables, sauté in saucepan, added wine, reduced, added stock, simmered, added broccoli - whizzed up plus some pasta for a sort of minestrone.

Thursday was home made tomato soup. Made a few weeks back when my plants had given me too many. After simmering, it then goes in jam jars. Keeps well. Normally I don't bother to sieve out seeds and skins from the small ones, but had to for OH. That's when I know I'll never make a 'proper' chef - pressing through a fine sieve, even for a lovely smoothness is not for me!

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:30 am

Petronius wrote:Had tooth out Thursday

Sounds like those nasty anti b's didn't work then Dennis - thank heaven for soup! I do hope your good lady is continuing to progress.

Postby dennispc » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:21 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:
Sounds like those nasty anti b's didn't work then Dennis - thank heaven for soup! I do hope your good lady is continuing to progress.

Well it did Lusciouslush, in so far as the pain went away. Tooth removed because putting my plate in, caused pain. Taken a new mould so won't know the result until Tuesday. I'm getting lots of twinges. :(

OH no longer has the wound pump and that has made a world of difference to what she can do.

She has a very significant birthday mid-week, so is fit enough for a birthday weekend. Tonight takeaway Chinese with our children (minus one who is channel swimming) and partners. And hopes to survive to enjoy our open house tomorrow for grandkids, siblings and friends.

Obviously she's still weak and gets tired but the family will keep her going. :birthday-dancer well, not quite like that but you get my drift.

Postby jeral » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:48 pm

Hug, Petronius, and yes, thank goodness for soup, and mash, and, er, chips in gravy :) There's a thread somewhere on flavoured mashes. I quite like garlic and EVOO mash with some things now and then.

My stick blender decided to disintegrate a plastic bit into my carefully made soup yesterday, sobs, hence I can fully recommend bread and water instead ;)

Not sure about efficiently removing seeds. I suppose the easiest way to avoid them is not to put them in in the first place, lol. IIRC Stokey Sue has a mouli (rotary hand crank grinder) so perhaps she could say if it leaves seeds behind.

Your post just in. Yay, channel swim came about. Very best birthday wishes to Mrs P - lots of party poppers eh? 8-)

Postby Amyw » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:06 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:Clive can I ask how you make your crepe lasagne? It sounds good - pasta sheets are sometimes too heavy for me.
And I know it's probably obvious but what does YMCA stand for? I've got the yesterday's meal bit - is the rest cooked again?

I remember Clive saying before it’s yesterday muck cooked again

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:12 am

ha ha ha.

Well I'm looking forward to eating a bit lighter.
The portions on the iow are enormous. Where do all those old age pensioners on their bus tours put it all.
Not a skinny chip in sight.

Great place tho. Especially for the crab.

Pleased to hear you are both on the mend there, Dennis.
Jeral, what a grim occurrence to your soup. Some things cannot be salvaged, eh.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:46 am

Saturday: We made our Tapas Crawl at the Le Mercat, La Boqueria ..

Met up with some social acquaintances and friends .. Lovely Calamari (my fave) sautéed in Chickpea flour and served with an amazing ali-oli and fresh lemon ..

Dinner was a simple hidden tavern known for its shellfish and fish in Barceloneta Port .. :clap

Busy re-organising all as I have been away since July on and off and all of August working with Tour Groups ..

Sunday: Choucroute with Wild Fresh Trout delivered by my parents .. So we are catching up ..

Have a lovely Sunday .. :wave

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:25 pm

Thanks Amyw………..! :lol: Who'da thought?!?!

Glad to hear Mrs. P is on the mend Dennis & hope she enjoys her special birthday :blowing-birthday-cake - seeing the family will be a tonic for her even if she is shattered afterwards.

Bad luck with the blender Jeral - I bet you said 'oops' :stfu

Another fishy w/end here - lovely lemon sole & samphire last night & a big boy crab which The Lushly & his pliers dressed yesterday for later on today. :yum

Postby jeral » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:36 pm

Fishy today here, being some smoked haddock with thyme-sprinkled sauteed new spuds with some red pepper and black olives since they happen to be in the fridge.

I've bought a new stick blender. Thankfully. yesterday's self-destructing one didn't cause the soup to spill or spray everywhere (nightmare territory), so it was more a Phew! than a :stfu Mind you, my new one is a bit heavier, so I'm hoping it doesn't take me with it - Wheee! Should be fun :D

Member 461, glad you both had an enjoyable day pleasing only yourselves for once on your tapas crawl.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:50 am

We made our Tapas Crawl at the Le Mercat, La Boqueria

I was in Barcelona about 3 years ago. While my wife was out buying stuff for her business, I got to do the good stuff - tapa´s crawl : :thumbsup :D :D In five days, I think I only ate a "proper" sit-down meal once; the rest was tapas. Absolutely the best thing I´ve done in years! I never ate the same thing twice. I went round La Boquería once with the wife, but then a couple of days later, I stayed there for about 3 hours, wandering around the stalls, admiring the fresh seafood ( the vast array of prawns, shrimp, crabs, etc. really impressed me). I stopped at a bar on the right side of the market, had a gloriously cold beer and a plateful of battered artichokes with aioli - which I have tried desperately to replicate in the past couple of years, but in vain!
Anyway, yesterday I had a lunch to prepare for 8, then a " curries of the world" course to do. Believe it or not, I ate very badly because when I sit down to the tasting menu I prepare, the questions come thick and fast, and I end up with cold food :crying1
Today, however, was comfort food time - my favourite dal - Toor dal - with onions, tomatoes and sweet potatoes. Food for the soul!

Postby Alexandria » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:10 am

Karakoolaide,

By chance, do you remember the name of the La Boqueria Market Bar where you had the Battered Artichokes with Ali Oli ? :yum :yum

On Saturday:
I had a tasting of my dear´s Berenjenas Rellenos ( Stuffed Aubergines ) and they were delicious ..

Being a total aficionada (enthusiast ) of Calamari and Squid, I had the Sautéed Calamari with Ali Oli ..

Have a lovely day .. :wave :wave

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:20 pm

No, Member 461 - I looked amongst the receipts that I (STILL!!) have - Sta Katarina, Cal Pep, El Pasadis de Pep, Cervecería Catalana - but not the mercat. All I remember is entering the market and going off to the right. But they were good, those artichokes!

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:02 am

Well that's a good reason for another visit, Clive.

I've just made up an amaranth salad today for lunch.
I roasted peppers last night whilst the small oven was on, and have some chicken breast to use up. I've used the super seeds in bread making before, and was tired of the little seeds dropping as I shifted things around in the cupboard.
So I've decided to simply use them up.

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:54 pm

Last night was roast shoulder of lamb with roast pots, creamed parsnip & broad beans - the surprise was that I thought it was pork shoulder that I'd taken out of the freezer so duly stuffed sage leaves in it's pockets along with garlic & set it on a mound of chopped onions - I think I was working on overdrive & didn't notice - the thing was the onion gravy & sage went really well with the lamb.... :D

Tonight is prawn fried rice - better keep my eyes open!!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox