Register

What's everyone eating this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:36 am

skewers last night, my default chicken dish.
Lemon, ginger, chunky chilli

Our pine table is proving a lovely addition to the home. Although the linen tablecloth needs washing often.
We are messy pups when we serve.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:57 pm

Gil,

Looks lovely lovely ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still in Portugal and in Lisbon to be exact ..

Lots of salads, shellfish & squid and a gorgeous array of fresh fruits .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:57 pm

Thursday ´s temperatures have risen ( 33 degrees centig ) so it is simply " light and cold " .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Today, I shall be having a simple salad, at a local Italian Restaurant highly recommended by the Hotel ..

A glass of Sparkling white wine and sparkling water and that is it ..

I had a wonderful breakfast of fresh seasonal fruits and some incredible fresh Portuguese goat cheeses .. And of course, my Iced Double Espresso ..

Stay cool and have a lovely day .. :wave :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:12 pm

Glad the table is a joy Gill. Both it and food look lovely.

Most of our meals so far this week have centered around a small pork roast I cooked on Monday. When it is hot like this I try to use the oven as little as possible. So alongside the pork I cooke dsome rhubarb in orange juice and pomegranate molasses and and a cherry pie.

Yesterday we had the last of the pork turned into sweet and sour meatballs which we had with egg fried rice and beansprouts.

One of our favourite lunches at the moment is a multicoloured tomato salad. We have red, green, black yellow and striped ones avaialble. They are delicious with basil leaves, good olive oil and mozzarella or feta. that's what we had yesterday. Today we had cottage cheese with fresh apricots, some ham some HM coleslaw. I've got some roasted peppers marinating in olive oil for another meal.

Tonight I am doing some veal escallops with a cream and morel mushroom sauce with some steamed spinach.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:39 pm

Pretty stuff, Gill! Looks very tasty indeed.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:49 am

Morning,
and thanks.
I do really enjoy a tomato salad. Just with salt and evoo.
I thought I'd run out of my holiday stash of evoo, but hunting under the stairs for Tony's battery cell for the hedge trimmer, I found my last bottle of hojiblanca.
I bring 6 various sorts back usually, I may have to up that to 7 for the year.

Bbq tonight. Hottest summer in decades and all that over here << insert sweaty smilie badge >>
I've got a really nice salad book, and will flick through this morning for a tasty idea.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:49 am

Pork!
Did someone mention my favourite meat ...............

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:26 pm

Oink , oink!

Cooked some for a friend the other week - he just "appeared" with some, so I added a tsp of curry powder, some coconut milk and some fresh mangoes. Adjusted the flavour with a handful of green chiles! :o :D For a one-off dish, it worked very well!

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:56 pm

We had oven-steamed mackerel tonight, with lemon juice and dill on the fish. I served it with boiled waxy potatoes, steamed beans, carrots and leeks and a lovely gooseberry sauce using some of the fruits from our garden. It was the first time we'd had the fish with that sauce and it was gorgeous. We could both easily see why it is a classic combination. Our pudding was a summer berry and bramley apple cobbler served cold with yogurt. This was also lovely and not too sweet.

Tomorrow's meal will be something easy and quick because we are helping out at a sponsored 10km walk that is being run by my workplace, which is the Young Epilepsy charitable organisation. They are doing a barbecue and we are helping set it up and serve the food. The pudding is already made, and is a gooseberry cobbler. Well, I had to do something with the rest of the sauce and cobbler mix :lol:!

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:44 am

Strictly Salsa Claire,

Good luck with your event .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Have a lovely weekend .. :wave :wave

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:51 am

Since temperatures are close to 40 degrees centig., I am on salads and fresh seasonal fruit in Algarve .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Today was a luscious salad of magenta red rimmed curly oak leaf lettuce, Kress, spearmint leaf, tomato, radish, ruby grapefruit and a little local goat cheese .. Portuguese Evoo & a drizzle of Modena, Balsamic vinegar ..

Very lovely .. And refreshing ..

Dessert was 2 fresh figs .. Sensational ..

Wow, it is 12am already ..

Have a lovely wkend .. :wave :wave

Postby jeral » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:43 am

Coo-er 40C. So it's "mildly warm" then... ;)

I'm putting myself on dedicated ice cube making duty today, since I know I'll use them faster than I can freeze them once our temp goes above 25C 8-)

Simple fresh plaice & dressing for tea yesterday, with some pureed (tinned) artichoke hearts with a briefly microwaved garlic clove, spot of cider vinegar & EVOO, plus black pepper.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:30 pm

Not long since our lunch-time guests left. We had

Tomato consomme with tapenade croutons

Guinea fowl cooked in kreik beer with cherries

Local goat's cheeses

Apricot and nougat clafoutis.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:53 pm

Algarve is " Beach Bar Row " for fresh shellfish and seafood .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

So today, I had one of my faves, Calamari .. And a Verdejo White (green) Wine and 3 bottles of Sparkling Water ..

That is about it for today .. Just approx 40 Degrees Centig and prefer just to sip Sparkling Water with fresh lemon ..

Hope you are all staying cool .. :wave :wave :wave

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:03 pm

What a day to choose for your charitable event, Stricters. All the best.

A handful of green chillies! Luvvverly! Clive.
I have an excellent piri piri recipe, where you marinade chillies, seeds and all over 2 days.
It's a delicious drizzling salsa.
I think I'll make some up.

Keep cool, Member 461.
I'll be dining on calamari soon enough by the beach. Can't wait.

Tonight I've poached some chicken, and have added chilli to hummus. I'll have it as a wrap within crisp lettuce leaves.

Jeral, the artichokes sounds lovely. Have you discovered a new dip.

Lucky guests, Joan.
How did you cook the guineafowl? On the hob?

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:47 pm

Gil, :thumbsup

Today was quite hot @ 40 Centig degrees ..

However, it was lovely in the shade with The Atlantic Breezes and / or in air conditioning ..

Must get to bed as it is rise and shine to Lisbon after breakfast ! The next tour group !

Your lunch / dinner sounds lovely as always .. :lol: :lol:

Have a wonderful summer .. :wave :wave

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:42 am

Gill,

I jointed the guinea fowl and cooked it in butter on the hob but finished it in the oven.
The sauce is made from Kriek beer (cherry flavoured) with some cheery eau de vie, fresh orange juice and very reduced veal stock. Just before serving you add fresh cherries, chives and chervil. It is a recipe I make at least once a year in the cherry season.

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:14 pm

Another fishy weekend here - gorgeous lemon sole on Friday, fresh crab Saturday - those pliers are getting some use right now!
Whitebait & a glass of chilled white sitting on the beach yesterday lunch time & roast chicken slathered in sumac last night with a huge green bean/mangetout/radish/tri-coloured tomato salad, peppers & mint!

There's also a conveyor belt of fruit salads...……..

Did I mention the margheritas……….? ;)

That piri piri sauce sounds good Grillers - any chance of the recipe?

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:32 am

Goes beautifully with lemon prawns, Lushers.

Piri Piri ingredients

15 - 20 hot chillies
2 fat garlic cloves
4 tablsp white wine vinegar
1/2 teasp paprika
glass e.v. olive oil

Remove the stalks & split the chillies lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds and collect them in a small cup. Pour the white wine vinegar over the seeds, cover with cling film and marinate for 24 hours (a few hours is fine if you are pushed for time)

The next day finely chop the chillies & garlic into a pulp. Drain the vinegar, & discard the seeds.
Add vinegar to pulp, season with s & p and add the paprika. Add the olive oil, put in a jar & shake.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:38 am

Oooooooooo I used to make frozen margaritas on hot summer days. I think I've still got the tequila bottles in the shed/ aka drinks cabinet.
Nowadays, I make h/m lemonade ;)

You've reminded me to get some more sumac. I ran out recently.

Joan.
I did wonder, as long baking in the oven can get distressing.
Thank you for the method, I've saved it.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox