Register

What's everyone eating this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby jeral » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:55 pm

WhitefieldFoodie wrote:Member 461 - I haven't made Sushi for ages now. Me and Tiff are very much due a Sushi Saturday, thanks for the nudge.

Jeral - Do not worry, Sushi should be eaten with fingers anyway. You can put those chop sticks away :)

[my bold]
Looks like I'll be brushing up, or learning anew, sushi etiquette too.

How do you buy the Nori seaweed for home made pls?

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:04 pm

Jeral - to be honest my "no chop sticks" ettiquette is most likely only for top end sushi gaffes in Japan i suspect. But I learned it form my old Karate Head coach of the GB team, Hanshi Asano, so it was good enough for me.

You can buy it in most supermarkets. I get Yukuta brand from Tesco, from, as Tiffs puts it, the "foreign aisle" :lol:
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /253662911

Postby Renee » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:44 pm

I get mine in the foreign isle too! I also get wasabi paste from there and ingredients for the dip.

Postby jeral » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:44 pm

Thanks both re Nori - I'll get some quick while it's on special offer. (I have wasabi paste, of which a pinhead is enough for moi, and the bamboo rolling mats.)

A Youtube sushi chef said the pre-roasted sheets are better if toasted, by which he meant revived to their intended crispness: Switch the toaster on then draw each sheet across the top over the heat back and forth (so both sides) a few times. (If it turns light green you've overdone it.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igtgpMQJJoY (4.41 mins total)

Postby Alexandria » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:30 pm

Jeral & Whitefield, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thank you for all your feedback ..

Have a lovely day and all my best from Portugal ( am on official guided tour of Lisbon ) .. :wave :wave

Good luck with all your Sushi and Sashimi making !! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:00 pm

jeral wrote:Thanks both re Nori - I'll get some quick while it's on special offer. (I have wasabi paste, of which a pinhead is enough for moi, and the bamboo rolling mats.)

A Youtube sushi chef said the pre-roasted sheets are better if toasted, by which he meant revived to their intended crispness: Switch the toaster on then draw each sheet across the top over the heat back and forth (so both sides) a few times. (If it turns light green you've overdone it.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igtgpMQJJoY (4.41 mins total)

I always just run them over a naked flame. It gives them a much better texture to eat. The key with sushi is the rice. It is so important to cool it quickly after the steaming process, and use cutting motions through with a thin spatula to avoid over working the rice.

Postby Renee » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:40 pm

I was lucky to be taught how to make sushi rolls and sashimi by my Canadian cousin's Japanese wife. They had a very hands-on sushi-making evening just after their wedding. It was such a happy memory.

Postby jeral » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:20 pm

Renée, how lovely. (I'm comparing that in my mind's eye with eating drying out vol-au-vents.)

Thanks, WhitefieldFooodie - all handy tips appreciated :thumbsup I tend to put an empty ceramic bowl or plate in the freezer beforehand to assist speedy cooling of things. NB: Take no notice if people think you must have really lost it ;)
Last edited by jeral on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby jeral » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:20 pm

(Duplicate post erased)

Postby Renee » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:18 pm

I remember that the rice was in a wide bowl which was fanned, so it cooled quite quickly. A good idea to put it in the fridge/freezer first. :thumbsup

Postby Alexandria » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:04 pm

Wednesday: Lisbon, Portugal ..

Today shall be a classic fresh wild cod fish from the enormous selection ..

Thursday: Casçais ..

Friday: Sintra ..

Saturday & Sunday: Algarve ..

Monday: We shall head back to Lisbon for 3 days and 2 nights ..

Flying back home: Thursday morning the 14th ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:10 pm

Wednesday: Portuguese Bacalhau à Bras .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

This renowned omelette is prepared with: Cod, onion, garlic, fresh parsley, salt, potatoes, Portuguese Evoo, black pepper ground, black olives and is covered by a French Style Omelette. It was served with garlic bread and we had a lovely Verdejo White Wine with it ..

Absolutely amazingly fabulous ..

Chef Michel Bras had adopted this récipe for his Three Michelin Restaurant while travelling in Lisbon ..

Nightly night .. :wave :wave

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:08 am

Member 461 wrote:Wednesday: Portuguese Bacalhau à Bras .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Nightly night .. :wave :wave

Is this the omelette that is usually made with left over french fries? I have meant to make this some many times but never got round to it.

Also in terms of left over chips. My colleague made a huge portion of Poutine and brought it in the the office yesterday. Even though it was soggy when warmed it was delicious :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:46 pm

I had a lovely lunch yesterday
I was in Covent Garden so went into the Floral Street branch of Masala Zone and had a Lunch Bowl - basmati rice, spinach bhaji,spiced chickpeas, Alleppey style prawn curry. Very good - and good value considering the quantity and quality of the prawns. Washed down with a nimbu pani (fancy fresh lemon soda)with mint and cucumber the link is to a recipe, but I think the only spice in mine was a pinch of ground roasted cumin, and it was certainly finished with sparkling water
http://www.flavorsofmumbai.com/nimbu-pani-recipe/
There weren't many people in there until a large extended Indian family came in, about 24 of them counting small chikdren I think

Postby jeral » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:21 pm

WhitefieldFoodie wrote:...[clip]...
My colleague made a huge portion of Poutine ...[clip]...

Do you think Poutine came first or the Oop Norf version of chips with gravy and gooey cheese n' peas? I suppose they must have come after frite or French fries being invented. Maybe the dish is another of those "universal" dishes if Portugal has its version too.

I tried blending leftover chips in soup once as a thickener (waste not). "Once" was one time too many as the soup tasted unpleasantly weird.

Simple fresh haddock fillet yesterday. Dunno about today yet.

Postby jeral » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:25 pm

@ Stokey Sue: Lunch bowl sounds great. I love the whole scene (vibe) of Covent Garden so I'm sure it was very enjoyable all round :)

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:20 pm

Here are some pictures to whet your appetite jeral
I also went to the Apple store, it has been there a few years but it was the first time I'd been inside, wonderful restoration of the building that used to be Rock Garden, of happy memory

The lunch bowl & nimbu pani are self-explanatory, the two puppets were the ones I could see from my seat, but the place is decorated with a load of them (possibly a couple of hundred)

Postby jeral » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:15 pm

Wow, Stokey Sue, wondrous - I'd spend all day as, being a sewing person, I know how fiddly the small puppet costumes will have been, as well as not getting all the strings taffled up lol. The bowl looks even better than I imagined, i.e. it's not one of those daft layered things. There will be three of us at the end of June so worth a visit methinks :)

Postby Renee » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:30 pm

What a lovely place, Sue and the food looks good too.

I picked up a nice piece of hake, local new Rufford potatoes and local asparagus, which I will be having tonight. For lunch I had a can of Asda Lentil Dahl soup. It is excellent for a quick meal.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:59 pm

Whitefield, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Two Michelin Star Food Designer José Avillez does not use pre-fried potatoes in any format.

He prepares the finely cut straw shaped "potato sticks" fresh .. On extremely low slow flame ..

His You Tube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5oLkD7IcDo

You can also Google: José Avillez and the name of the recipe in Portuguese, and there are English Sub-titles to aide you in the preparation.

Absolutely delicious .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Have a nice evening .. :wave :wave

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox