Register

What's everyone eating this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby Alexandria » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:47 pm

Monday ..

A simple Risotto di Funghi ( Boletus Mushrooms ) .. :yum :yum

Today, my staff and I had a lovely traditional tiny Regional Italian lunch close to the Office ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:45 pm

An extremely busy work week .. Menus del Dia .. ( Regional Spanish & Catalan Protocol even in Foreign Restaurants / Bars, Taverns etcetra ) ..

Tuesday: Japanese with my Administrative Department ..

Wednesday: My dear and I went for Greek Cuisine at a fave tiny tavern .. I enjoy the Mezze .. And the Greek Salad ..

Tomorrow, Thursday, is our day for Lebanese Mezze at the Diagnol Shopping Centre ..

Have a nice weekend ahead .. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Rainbow » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:33 am

I thought this thread was more about what everyone is cooking (and eating) this week ;)

Postby jeral » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:56 am

Vegan Wellington yesterday. It was made at home albeit with bought pastry. There's some left for tomorrow to eat with some leek soup I made today.

Tonight I enjoyed a baked gilthead bream with lemon and parsley, cooked just right so the fillets came off easily - and whole for once. Plus new potatoes and a splodge of the fried aubergine in tasty tom sauce that I buy in a tin.

I need to put weight on having neglected to eat last week, so a concerted effort with a banana, milk, date, oats and frozen cherry smoothie for brekkie tomorrow - even if it takes me until lunchtime to drink/eat the darn thing :lol: Lunch is due to be a boring egg/mayo salad with spring onion, cucumber, tomato and lovely caterpillar bread, warmed to toast the sesame seeds on it. I'll be eating all day and all night it seems...

Postby Amyw » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:56 pm

Rainbow wrote:I thought this thread was more about what everyone is cooking (and eating) this week ;)

Agreed, I like hearing about special meals out , and Joan has posted some lovely ones , but I think the whole point of this thread , or was when I started it was to get inspiration from others food

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:21 pm

Totally agree Amyw!!

It's great to hear about special meals out - but when it just becomes a routine list of restaurants here & there, it is very boring, & as you say, defeats the purpose of the thread.

Plus nothing about actual cooking, apart from clippings with a few dubious recipes.

Postby Renee » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:10 pm

The thread is about what everyone is eating, which must include eating out. It really doesn't bother me, because I can always find plenty of inspiration when I get into a rut.

Postby Amyw » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:22 pm

Anyway ....... dinner is going to be pork casserole with carrots onions , grain mustard , chicken stock , a slosh of cream and garlic with some frozen green beans and a piece of baguette

Postby Binky » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:33 pm

I have just cooked a sweet potato and chickpea curry. Really easy (fry onions, spices, add chopped sweet potato, then add tinned tomatoes, chickpeas, coriander and pop in some coconut cream before serving with naan bread and more fresh coriander). I also did a side dish of lightly fried cauliflower, onion and nigella seeds.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:27 am

Sweet potato really works well with beans/lentils/ peas, doesn´t it?
And, of course, anything that has nigella/kalonji in it, simply must be good :clap :clap
Must be my favourite spice!

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:59 am

I also like karob. I first used it for a carrot side recipe that Sausageroll posted.
Go very very easy on it though, it's overpowering.

Almost a disaster last night.
I made pork fillet with a breadcrumb layer. Caper sauce. And broccoli.
I think I must have salted the crumb twice before cooking? Luckily we could push it to one side on the plate.

Out for an Italian tonight after the cinema.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:23 am

Renée,

Thank you dear .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

When one has a business of their own, and lives in Spain, eating out is very commonplace culturally as you know. The Tapas crawling is what Spain is known for worldwide .. There are no secrets that we have a " dining out and tavern bar culture " which has put us on the map .. There are 300, 000 British Expats living on the Iberian Peninsula, in Spain.

Must be a truly good reason or two !!!

Anyway, last night we went for Lebanese at the Shopping Centre and had our usual Mezze .. Always delicious ..

As we are veered toward Pescatarian and Vegatarian ways of eating and avoid most varieties of porc except for Proscuitto and Iberian acorn fed Ham. We truly enjoy Lebanese and Moroccan Cuisine once a week .. Cute tiny little place in a stunning Shopping Centre on The Seafront of Diaganol .. Looking for Xmas gifts was our evening activity ..

Have a lovely weekend .. :wave :wave :wave

Postby Suffs » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:43 pm

Yesterday's supper was spiced mackerel fillets, grilled and served with a warm and lemony potato salad and crisp baby gem lettuce.

This evening we'll be having chicken thighs roasted with the last of the tomatoes from the garden and bits of preserved lemon, served with herby wholegrain rice and then everything dressed with some lemony salsa verde that I've just made, along with some green beans.

Postby Renee » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:52 pm

I bought a whole wild sea bass from the fish stall on Chorley market. It wasn't cheap, but was delicious.

Postby Suffs » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:20 pm

Wild sea bass is soooooooo much better than farmed ... the two don't compare ............ lucky you :D

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:37 pm

Last night we had kedgeree with undyed smoked haddock a rare rare treat in these parts. Afterwards we had faiselle with rspberries in just a bit of framboise eau de vie ;)

Tonight it's to be my posh version of mac n'cheese and a tarte au citron afterwards.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Renee » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:43 pm

It might not happen again Suffs, because it was rather expensive. We had beautifully fresh sea bass whilst on holiday with family in Turkey. I do miss the food that we had there and try to replicate it occasionally.

Postby Suffs » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:49 pm

It is such a treat isnt it ... we don't eat out very often ... but we do treat ourselves to some lovely food at home from time to time :thumbsup

Postby jeral » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:28 am

I'm doing fairly well with my breakfast, lunch and tea regime, so plaice as an added late supper last night with sauteed pots and cherry toms. Smoked haddock tonight with black olives, sweet corn, new pots, and, er, cabbage and potato curried thick soup as a sauce. Weird but tasted nice.

Going away for a couple of days so I'm packing a bag to plough through as best I can so I hopefully won't lose the weight I've managed to put on this week :)

Postby Renee » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:14 am

Have a lovely time jeral!

I had a small amount of leftover cooked sea bass, so made a small amount of béchamel, added the sea bass, shaped into croquettes, dipped in flour with a little Ras el Hanoud and fried along with tomatoes. The flavour of the sea bass came through nicely.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox