Register

What's everyone eating this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:57 pm

jeral wrote:Striclysalsaclare, many thanks for the cornmeal pastry tip. Gives me the immediate idea of making my own Jamaica patties which are hard to find and even harder as veggie or vegan version for some reason.

Hi jeral

Luckily this pancake recipe is really versatile if you want to add herbs or spices to the dough. Just add whatever you wish to the flour and cornmeal and mix it together before adding any liquid. I added some garlic salt to mine when I made it at the weekend. You may wish to roll it out a bit thicker if you want to make Jamaican patties.

One word of advice, once the pancake is cooked like tortillas, they do go rather brittle, so not much good for enchiladas or chimichangas. They do make great taco shells, bowls (from raw), Mexican style 'lasagne' and quesadillas as well. I normally scrunch up some large sheets of ovenproof foil, oil the raw pancakes on one side (which will touch the foil) and cook them in the oven for approx 8-10 minutes at Gas Mark 5 or the equivalent in electric. I got this tip from the Hairy Bikers when they did their dieting series.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:21 pm

Joan,

Several years ago my husband & I were in Barbados, at a Hotel called the Cobbler´s Cove. The lovely native Chef, Jeff Hyland had given me his récipe for the amazing fish we had.

Here is the récipe: :clap :clap :clap :clap

Barbados Sea Bass Wrapped in Potato "Jackets" ( sub similar ) (Note: We had it with Barracuda fillets ) ..

3 Tblsps Evoo
3 shallots minced finely
1 garlic clove minced
4 tblsps herb of tarragon
1/2 cup dry vermouth
3 1/2 Cups of fish stock broth
1 1/2 tsps balsamic vinegar Modena
seeded tomatoes ( 4 red ripe ) chopped finely
1/4 cup fresh finely chopped basil
1/ 4 cup chopped finely chives
6 pieces of fish fillets ( sea bass )
6 baked potatoes for the "Jack" or jacket ( scoop out the tender interiors )

If you are interested, in the récipe, I shall make a post of it !
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:48 pm

Thank you Member 461. I am going to do the thing I am most comfortable with, my version of jerk chicken.

Could I get an appropriate fish I would have done that grilled, but stuffed with lime and wild herbs.

Here, one has to do what one can. I want it to be authentic but that does mean compromise.

I always strive to stay in my comfort zone when I am cooking. i'm too old to be experimental :lol: :lol:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Alexandria » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:26 pm

Joan,

I understand totally ! I too, like to prepare dishes I am most familar with when I am out of tourist season and home ..

Contigencies, Plan B ! Always wise when food shopping ! :crossed :crossed :crossed

Well, I am sure that you shall créate your Caribe masterpiece during the autumn winter when fresh fish is much more available .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

All my best and have a lovely summer .. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:44 am

Well as my electricity is off I went out and had a bowl of Singapore Noodles and s glass of rose de Provence

Chef is a neighbour and his Singapore noodles are specially good. Keep trying to work out why, think not overcooking the noodles and loads of chilli and garlic may have something to do with it Also I think he has reduced the curry powder to zero or close (controversial :) )

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:40 am

I had some brilliant Singapore noodles in a tiny restaurant near the British Library called China House. It was packed with oriental students from SOAS. They all seemed to order and pay using their smart phones and then popped in to collect :lol: As good a recommendation as it is possible to have I guess.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Alexandria » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:09 pm

Friday Lunch in Begur ( Costa Brava ): :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Hotel Sa Rascassa, a tiny boutique hotel nestled on the edges of a secluded cove, La Cala d´ Aiguafredda, houses a marvel of a candlelit dining room and the option to dine in a tree shaded court yard ..

The restaurant is completely seafood centric, local and sustainable .. The octopus is to die for and go to heaven ! :wino :wino

Definitely a must have lunch or dinner at if travelling on the Costa Brava, in or near to Begur ..

Have a lovely weekend .. :wave :wave

http://www.hostalsarascassa.com

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:13 am

With all the talk of Singapore Noodles, I made a cheaty version, using veg to hand, pad thaiish noodles and some Malaysian "nyonya" curry paste I bought the other day. Clearly not proper, but still delicious! I had the usual vermicelli rice noodles to hand, but fancied some meatier pad thaiish ones.

Looking through my old pix, my weirdest cheaty Singapore Noodle dish was a "raw smoked" salmon and samphire one - what was I thinking?!?

Postby Alexandria » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:17 am

Sakkarin,

Good morning ..

Wonderful noodle dish .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

And lovely lovely photography .. :clap :clap

Have a marvelous day and hope you are feeling a bit better .. :crossed :crossed

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:06 pm

They do indeed look good Sakkers.

I am delighted to say my Caribbean feast went down a storm last night. Highly appropriate as we had a storm at the time.

The menu was:

Conch fritters (only I used whelks)
Jerk chicken
Peas and rice
Fried plantain and crumbed okra

Platter of exotic fruit - pineapple. mango, guava. papaya and tamarillo with cocnut givres - half cocnut shells filles with coconut icecream. The latter not for me because of my cocnut allergy.

Some of our midst were happy drinking gin and cocnut water, the rest rum and fruit based punch and rum Collins.

We finished with some really lovely old old rum. I slept well!

Today M took me out for lunch at a favourite restaurant. We ate inside because it was cooler. We both had a chicken ballontine - filled with tapenade on a bruchetta with piperade and a light aioli dressing.
Fillet of dorade (sea bream) with a sesame crust on courgette spaghetti with seame glazed baby potatoes.
Dessert was a to die for sable topped with a strawberrry fig compote, fresh black figs and a fig sauce with a strawberry and fig sorbet.

Postby jeral » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:29 pm

Both meals sound delicious, Joanbunting; I'm sure your guests went away happy but I'm surprised you were up in time for lunch today, Zzzzzzz I'd certainly have got up for that lunch though (doggy bag for more dessert please) :)

Interesting about the sesame seed crust on the bream - I'll have to try that.

Incidentally, has anything happened about your utilities regularly conking out due to storms?

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:58 pm

Thanks Jeral.

Actually there was a power cut during plast night's meal. Apparently, because of the drought EDF has had to close down 2 nuclear power stations on the Rhone - not enough water in the river to keep them cool.

We have lost several led bulbs because of the surges but fortunately all the improant things are on surge blocks. The roof leak, caused by the lightning strike is fixed and after last night's storm I can report it is wroking.

If truth be known I prefer eating my main meal at lunch time and anyway we were up by 8.30 with no cooking or washing up to do. Just coffee and the Sunday papers to deal with.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:45 pm

Joan,

Firstly, your Caribbean dinner sounds wonderful ..

Moreover, the fig dessert sounds like a true jewel .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Yes, the Daurade (gilt head ) also surely was wonderful ..

Pleased to hear all turned out well .. :wave

Postby Alexandria » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:53 pm

Lunch Sunday with my family in Cadaqués ..

My Hellenic Roasted Beetroots filled with Feta & Mint Mousse turned out fabulously ..

The main was: A Greek Classic Chicken Stifado ( stew) with:
Chicken
Evoo ( 250 ml. )
Dry red wine ( 500 ml. ) for the marinade and the dish
Tomatoes ( San Manzano - 1 tin )
Bay leaves (2)
Cinammon stick (1)
Oranges (2 )
Salt and pepper
Allspice berries (6)
Bio flour for dredging the chicken pieces
Garlic cloves ( 2 )
shallot ( 2)

This dish is normally prepared with Rabbit however, we prefer it with chicken ..

Dinner in a half hour shall be tapas on the coast at a beach bar ..

Postby Renee » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:59 pm

I've made Stifado Alexandra, but I used beef. The recipe was similar to yours. I hadn't realised that Stifado meant "stew".

I bought some chicory for the first time on Friday, which I sliced and put in a buttered dish with sliced leftover red and yellow peppers, sliced onion and some small pieces of oak-smoked bacon on top. I covered it with foil and baked in the oven for about 50 minutes. I doubt if I will make it again and I'm sure that there is a better way using chicory!

Postby jeral » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:08 am

Renée, here's what Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall has to say about chicory: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ttingstall

Looks like Hugh heavily disguises/smothers chicory in his cooked recipes given, although shredding (losing) it in a misc salad looks more tempting to me as it seems it's one of those that goes with especially apple and even pear, so that might be a route to go down.

It'd be my first time too, but what the heck, might acquire the odd taste it's said to have.

Postby Renee » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:08 am

Jeral, thanks so much for that very interesting article from Hugh FH. Salads might be the way to go for me.

I've read so much in the past about bitter foods, such as chicory and how they are lacking in our diet today. I bought the chicory because it contains prebiotics which feed the probiotics in our gut.

http://blog.naturessunshine.com/en/5-re ... and-herbs/

Postby Alexandria » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:58 am

Renée,

Firstly, thank you for all your feedback .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Yes, Stifado in Greek is stew and in Spanish Estofado .. and in Italiano, Stufato .. :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Chicory: I only use in salads, both the red radicchio and the green .. I love tri color varied lettuce varieties in my salads and it is truly a marvel ..

Shall read the article too later today as I am half way out the door .. I am off until Tuesday morning but am at my apartment in Cadaqués ..

Tons of errands to do with my Mom ..

All my best for a lovely day .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby jeral » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:42 pm

Thanks for the bitter foods link Renée. I didn't know that "bitter foods" formed a set, so to speak, i.e. had the commonality of the bitterness itself being advantageous. I often think chilli is bitter and would be a good example, but for some reason it doesn't appear on the blogger's list.

So, just from curiosity I Googled chilli and chicory and it came up with this pizza with pancetta plus etc, which is not dissimilar to your dish, except perhaps for lots of bread tempering the strength maybe?
https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/chicor ... 69107463c2

I'm thinking trial and error needless to say, especially if it's something you're not expected to like :lol:

Postby Alexandria » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:41 pm

Mallorca:

One of the most amazing 5 hour ferry trips is from Barcelona to Alcudia, Mallorca and of course, the return ..

Flanked by breathtakingly seascapes this is the way to go if you are a lover of the sea and wish to avoid the chaotic & hectic Prat Airport in August ..

My next professional adventure is Mallorca, on Monday the 27th through next Sunday, the 1st of September ..

The gastronomic scene in Palma de Mallorca and all 8 of its ports, it predominately shellfish, seafood and fish ..

Shall report further on the details as soon they are narrowed down with the group of travellers I am accompanying ..

Have a wonderful summer as the weather continues and all best wishes .. :wave

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox