Register

What's everyone eating this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:07 pm

You too, our Renee.

Omelette tonight for me.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:15 pm

Plans went astray on Saturday evening when M forgot to pick up with sauce Nantua . when buying pike quenelles for supper. Not the sort of thing you can whip up in a few minutes!
We ended up with a porcini/cepes risotto and a green salad followed by a lovely Chaource cheese and some grapes.

Sunday we had lunch at our frined Mannu's restaurant.

After and amuse bouche of chestnut veloute topped with crisp bacon shrads we had a tarte paysan - he makes fab pastry -filled with seasonal vegetables in a ceps cream topped with a soft poached egg and roquette vinagrette.
Main was a piece of roast turbot on a fondant potato with chicken jus and served with barigoule artichokes
Dessert was a poached pear in pomegranate juice, stuffed with curd cheese and topped with a tuille biscuit and pear sorbet.

All very seasonal and aprt from the fish very local. He only cooks wild fish.

We just had a little of the pate he gave us as a Take away for supper

Yesterday I used to rest of the pate to make a sandwich with some tomatoes and saladfor texture.

Last night we had a neck of lamb casserole which had been cooking all day (when the power wasn't off) in a slow oven and which I topped with herb dumpings and served with braised endive.
We finished the Chaource and the grapes afterwards.

I've got an apple and date crumble with an oaty topping in the oven right now and main will be Boboti with rice.
Lunch is to be Swiss eggs.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:20 pm

What's Swiss eggs please?

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:44 pm

What's Swiss eggs please?

Gotta be eggs filled with chocolate fondue, Gill :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:29 pm

:vomit KK

Eggs baked in the oven with Gruyere cheese and single cream and lots of lovely bread to dunk! naughty but rather nice!

Tip put the cheese and cream in individual ramekins and break the egg white in there. Keep the yolks apart until the white, cream and cheese have begun to set and bubble and the add the yolks and cook for a very few minutes until they are still runny but the whites are set and the cheese is melted.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Alexandria » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:42 pm

Joan,

The roast wild turbot sounds amazingly exquisite ..

What is the name of the restaurant and would you provide me with the exact address or the website ..

Very much appreciated. Thank you .. Have a lovely day .. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:47 pm

Tuesday Lunch ..

A very fascinating venue with a Chilean master, Jaime Beriestain with a restaurant and concept store ..

He incorporates a fusion of Chilean and Catalan expertly ..

Quite amazingly special ..

The rustic ambiance coupled with the natural creates an exceptionally extraordinary picturesque cozy atmosphere.

Ceviche to write home about !
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby dennispc » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:14 pm

roast turbot on a fondant potato with chicken jus

Heavenly :thumbsup

Chez nous? Chicken soup, bit of a contrast eh?!

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:52 pm

Member 461 wrote:Joan,
What is the name of the restaurant and would you provide me with the exact address or the website ..

I have done already Member 461 and, unfortunately they don't have a website. I keep trying to get him to set one up but he is always too busy cooking

The name of the restaurant is Auberge de la Bartavelle and it is in Goult Vaucluse France.

here's the TA entry
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... _Azur.html

Postby Alexandria » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:51 pm

Joan,

Thank you very very much .. :thumbsup

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:44 am

Clive, that's a Cadbury's cream egg. Doh!

Thanks Joan. I've actually never heard of it before.
Out for a long time today, so it's chilli in the slow cooker to come home to.
I only use it rarely, but quite like liquidy things in there.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:12 pm

Tuesday´s lunch was stuffed Pasilla Chiles with refried beans and just plain old boiled potatoes. Mmmm!
A neighbour was feeling very unwell yesterday; probably another variation of some ghastly tropical flu.
So I made him som soup - a heartwarming mirepoix of onion, carrot and celery, then added some pumpkin, lentils, potato and taro root ( because I had a bit left over!!) and a slosh of tomato passata. Yum!

Postby Alexandria » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:02 pm

Wednesday Lunch ..

A simple angel hair and prawn dish with dried red horn shaped chili peppers, garlic, parsley, white wine, Alpine Butter, salt, freshly ground black pepper and Italian Evoo ..

15 Minute quick concoction as we are working from home office today .. :yum :yum :yum

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:32 pm

Our hens have suddenly decided to lay more eggs than in recent weeks . I also have a large bag of fresh girolles so the obvious solution for tonight is omelette.
I've also got a stack of cherry tomatoes so I'll roast them with a splash of balsamic vinegar. M wants chips too but I'm veering towards potato galettes.

I've got some apple and date crumble left. M might even get the custard he didn't get yesterday because we had a telephone call just as i was about to make it!

Postby Amyw » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:39 pm

Two of my favourite things , apple crumble and omelettes :klingonbanana

So far this week , on Monday , I made a quiche mushroom sauce with creme fraiche, chestnut mushrooms , garlic and some thyme to have with chicken and wild rice , which I’m loving at the moment . Had some frozen broad beans with them too.

Yesterday , I used various odds and ends of veg in a stir fry with some noodles , Chinese five spice and some curry powder as a rough Singapore noodle imitation.

Tonight I used the other chicken breast in a tomato sauce with lots of peppers and garlic and some roasted new potatoes and green beans

Postby Alexandria » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:35 am

Thursday Lunch ..

Wild turbot grilled in oven served on a bed of fresh herbed tomato salsa & with Canary Island green asparagus ..

Friday:

Shall be Japanese Nigriri & Sashimi at a fave lunch spot .. with staff ..

Have a lovely weekend ..

Postby Alexandria » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:39 pm

Sunday Lunch ..

A Catalan sailors dish of yester year, called Monkfish With Matelot Sauce ( pinenuts or almonds or both & sautéed cibatta or baguette & white wine & tomatoes ) ..

Got to go prepare my salsa now .. It is 13.40 now ..

Have a lovely day .. :wave

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:37 pm

Last night we finally had pike quenelles with sauce nantua followed by muscat grapes and the first Mont d'Or cheese of the season,

After the village remembrance ceremony we had roast pork with hm sage and onion stuffing with baby potatoes and parsnips cooked around the meat and Brussels sprouts with a port gravy. This was very naughtily followed by treacle sponge steamed pudding and custard. WE'll be good for the rest of the week I promise.

Postby Amyw » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:34 pm

Yesterday was sea bass fillets with sauté new potatoes and mushrooms with lots of garlic, pesto and that tender stem broccoli you get , reduced to 12p a back . Haven’t had sea bass in ages and I have to say it’s probanly my favourite fish .

I’ve just cooked Sunday lunch at work . Roast chicken , roast normal and sweet potatoes with peas and cauliflower cheese . Instead of a breadcrumb tipping , there was a small quantity of stuffing mix left , which I used instead . Worked really well. Just have a marble cake in the oven , one half chocolate , the other orange

Postby Suffs » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:25 am

Yesterday’s supper was marvellous ... our first pheasant of the season. I removed the crown and this was panfried and finished quickly in a hot oven then rested on the bone. Before I did this I braised the legs with Dried porcini and red wine and used the reduced liquor with a dollop of homemade grape and rosemary jelly to make to make a jus. We had potato and parsnip chips and buttered Swiss chard from the garden to accompany.

The meat from the braised legs will be frozen and used with some black pudding, chopped celery and apple to make game pasties at a later date.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox